Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can the travel on any REBA fork be extended to 120mm?
  • Monkey
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a pair of 100mm ones but not sure if the travel can be extended on them. I think they may be oem from a boardman. Thanks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Probably. Most OE forks have a spacer inside to remove. IIRC it’s on;y the real high end ones that are fixed travel as it makes them a bit lighter.

thepurist

Wasn’t there a thread on here the other day about some chap who’d bought a Reba on the assumption that he could change it to 120mm but then found out that he didn’t have the spacers/stanchion length or something. Probably a tricky thread to search for, but worth a go?

[EDIT] Yep, here it is [/EDIT]

topgunsteve
    Free Member

I bought some 100ml Reba SL new, was looking for something at 120 to go an my girlfriends On-one 456 but apparently the 2010 models and onwards do not have the facility the lengthen the travel. Its just aswell the bike rides well with 100mm up-front.

If its Rebas you want you I think the 2008 or 2009 ones can be adjusted to 120mm

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

115mm I think if I was being pedantic

sssimon
    Free Member

old ones are up to 115mm with all spacers remover, pre 2009

2009 on are 120mm with all spacers removed

Only exception that I know of are old workd cups that were 80 or 100mm only, and some oe that have shorter stancions (like the world cup) to save a few grams

iwatajim
    Free Member

I am interested in this too as planning on buying either a boardman team ht or fs as a donor for a soul.

If the 100mm rebas on the ht can be increased to 120mm then no need for the extra 120 bucks for the fs. Although the fs does have maxle!

biking_jk
    Free Member

Hi,

What was the outcome of this, can you extend the travel on Rebas to 120mm?

Thinking of doing the same Boardman donor thing onto a 456

chiefgrooveguru

I’m planning on replacing my Boardman’s frame with a Soul too and shall be attempting the fork thing shortly! If I were buying a Boardman specifically as a donor bike I’d get the Team or Pro FS for the bolt-thru fork – check out some of the Carrera’s too.

4ndyB
    Free Member

I believe that it’s only the ‘All Travel’ versions of RS forks that can be travel adjusted.

How you know if your fork is an All Travel fork (without stripping them down) is beyond me though.

Some OE forks are chopped down to one length and cannot be adjusted, some regular non OE forks also cannot be adjusted.

Unless you buy from new and know the exact spec you won’t know if they can be adjusted until you strip the forks down

biking_jk
    Free Member

Cool,

Thanks, was thinking of getting the full suss boardman team as a donation bike. I’ll be able to sell the frame on for more that way and you get better specced components.

legend
    Free Member

Update for my thread. Tf have implied (not spoken to them properly yet) that I can increase the travel. i’m guessing it’ll take a new spring rod and damper rod, which would be an easy enough job

avdave2

I’ve just been into Halfords after reading this and spoken to the guy in the bikehut. He thinks the Reba forks on the hardtail are extendible to 120 and the manual that is supplied with the bike gives instructions on how to do it.
    They had none in stock but I’ve just been onto the website and ordered one which should be here in a couple of days. I had been looking at the whippet but at £900 the Boardman seemed to good to miss and I can always shift all the bits over to a whippet frame later. Although I expect a wheel upgrade might be the most sensible first move.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the manual that is supplied with the bike gives instructions on how to do it.

Probably not. I’ve never seen that in a RS user manual.

That said I think there’s a good chance they will extend. I’ve just bought some Revs from Merlin (Probably OE ones too, judging by the box) that were supplied at 140mm. 10mins later they were 150mm. 🙂

It’s easy to do though.

warpcow
    Free Member

SRAM generally don’t do specific manuals, so there’s a good chance the Bikehut guy was just looking at a generic Reba/Recon/Tora service manual. Still, not saying it’s not possible 🙂 Good luck with it.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

100mm Rebas are made with shorter stantions so it is not possible on more recent models.
    If you get a 120mm version you can knock the travel down, but the same is not always possible the other way around.

avdave2

I’ll have a look when they arrive. I’ve got Rebas on the current bike as well which I bought last year from Merlin so I’ll have to check them too.
    I’m quite happy with 100mm, all my riding is xc on the South Downs, so I didn’t worry about getting confirmation on the travel adjust. All I was after was a sub 25lb cross country bike for the summer and at £900 it seemed too good to miss.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can the travel on any REBA fork be extended to 120mm?’ is closed to new replies.