Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can I put a disc fork on an old road/cx frame?
  • fridge
    Free Member

Been going round and round looking at commuter/cx/road/29ers and to add to my confusion wondering if there’s any reason why I couldn’t fit a modern disc fork to an older road/cx frame?

Can’t think why not, braking forces are the same, only issue might be compatibility with levers. but as I’d be building from existing bits and bobs can’t see that being a problem.

drofluf
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve done it using a Road BB7 so no compatibility problem with the brake lever

ransos
    Free Member

I looked into this for an old steel frame. Issues were finding a 1″ threaded fork of the right length and trail. It doesn’t exist AFAIK.

woody2000

Does it need a 1″ steerer fork? If it does, can you get a disk fork with a 1″ steerer? Older frame might not be strong enough for disk brakes?

fridge
    Free Member

Didn’t mean anything proper 1″ old just not new. Quite a few new cx frames with discs but secondhand most seem to have cantis.

Had discs on the mtb for years so for year round use quite keen on the same for commuting.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, you can. I have a fork that’d be spot on too – and cheap – it’s just a fairly 1 1/8″ bog standard alu fork (so not for weight weenies) but right for a road/cx bike with a disc. Drop me an email if you’re interested.

(it’s the fork in this pic )

clubber
    Free Member

FWIW, I also added a disc to the back on my cx too.

unovolo
    Free Member

Not technically a Road or CX frame,But got a Salsa Disc fork on a old Giant Mtb frame which looks like this now.

takisawa2

Unovolo…that is gorgeous. 🙂

Daffy

It’s not always so simple. Measure the axle to crown height of what you have against what you intend to replace it with.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can I put a disc fork on an old road/cx frame?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM