Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • can i lower some fox van 36 c2 forks?
  • iridebikes
    Free Member

As above, iwas just wonering i can reuce the travel and axle to crown, instead of selling and getiing a ifferent pair of forks

Simon

It can be done by cutting the spring down, I found some info about it a while ago.
    A custom shorter spring would be the ideal solution but expensive!

jonk

Cut the spring and grind the end then fit the travel spacer to the spring plunger as per air forks. I did this a few years ago to reduce a 180 domain to 160.

iridebikes
    Free Member

Thatsounds like alot of hassle, having to cut spring. If I only wanted to reduce it by 20/ 30mm, woul i be able to do it without cutting the spring?

LoCo
    Free Member

No the springs have to be cut, also be aware this will affect the spring rate to.

Dango
    Free Member

I did this to my vans a couple of weeks ago, I cut at a 45 degree angle 15mm off with a grinder, filed off the burs, heated the end with a blow torch for a few mins and then bent it flat turned in slightly, as they are originally

20mm float spacer on the bottom out shaft assembly and voila 36mm 140mm forks, took about 20 minutes and I’m pretty chuffed with them

iridebikes
    Free Member

cheers, I think i’m gonna give it a go! so why 15mm off if you were lowering them by 20 mm?

Also, where is the best place for buying the spacers? And how does shortening the spring affect the spring rate, eg make it softer or harder?

Simon

Cutting coils out will up the rate/make it harder.

so why 15mm off if you were lowering them by 20 mm?

Once you’ve closed the end again it’ll be approx 5mm shorter.

Dango
    Free Member

5mm was lost when I bent the 45 degree cut back to flat, I had a heavy spring on before that I fitted before I lost some weight, because the coils are progressively you would you lose a little bit of support, I thought such a small cut and the weight loss would cancel out, but I did end up putting a few clicks of compression on, I wasn’t running any before

Worst case if it goes wrong buy another heavier spring 2nd hand for a tenner or similar and have another go, the spacers are a couple of quid from mojo

Good luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘can i lower some fox van 36 c2 forks?’ is closed to new replies.