Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Can I just be a complete twerp please and show off?
  • bearnecessities

There is some genuine background. Ma & Pa bought each other Omegas as wedding presents.

I loved omega ever since.

Not been lucky enough to be in a similar position so far.

So, I just bought this just now, which I think is possibly the most attractive thing without breasts I have ever seen.

I accept I will be flamed by some, but it’s a childhood ambition realised, and a lovely looking one at that.

Rorschach
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Very nice indeed. Nice story, too!

bearnecessities

Thanks flash, appreciated – life short and all that 🙂

jamj1974

Nice!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Your parents bought each other crappy Vauxhalls as presents..?

jamj1974

Oh and not twerpy at all!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have my dad’s Omega. 🙁

Thing is, it’ll never see the light of day on my wrist.

Clean, sharp and beautiful. Well done sir

I won a Breitling galactic at work last year. Sold it to a friend who always wanted one. Could have sold it for a small fortune but asked him to sort a new iPhone as I’d just dropped mine in the bog

bearnecessities

DD, you know what, I really get that. My Dad has a 1972 gold omega and that’s obviously what I idolised as a kid…yet faced with the idea of wearing it ever makes me nauseous.

So, I decided to go for what I considered to be modern, without being ostentatious (not much choice!) and still has my historic influence.

My advice (although worthless) is wear it chap; I’d guess your Dad would have wanted it to be worn.

Raymond

I like that a lot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My advice (although worthless) is wear it chap; I’d guess your Dad would have wanted it to be worn.

I may do one day – it just sits in it’s box in a cupboard, pretty unloved. It’s subtle enough – nearest match I can find is this one:

But I’m not really a watch wearer at all (haven’t worn one in over twenty years). Couldn’t possibly sell it.

lucien

Seamaster is an awesome watch….

samuri
    Free Member

I’m not flaming, it’s a nice story and good on you but…. How short are your fingers?

jekkyl

{flame mode on} A watch is heavy & useless since everyone (mostly) has a mobile phone in their pocket all the time. The only reason to own one is shallow vanity! {flame mode off}

mogrim

Doesn’t do anything for me, but it’s nice to see a childhood ambition realised.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

People still wear watches.? Wow you learn something new every day.

jon1973
    Free Member

I don’t really know anyone who doesn’t wear a watch.

ampthill

So a grand at least. Just googled it.

Well if it makes you happy I’m pleased for you…

jekkyl

Think of all the starving kids that could have been fed!

jon1973
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ampthill, how much was your bike?

Oh, and general yawnage at your predictable post.

bearnecessities

DD, that’s lovely – typical subtle & classy example that Omega used to represent, only now making a return to that. You should wear it, this is my Dad’s, not dissimilar:

Amptill, £2800 second hand, and yes, it does make me happy – weirdly, that’s humans eh? I ride a 14 years old HT bike also that makes me far more happy than the carbon s-works job that I recently sold!

jamj1974

cloudnine – Member
    Your parents bought each other scrappy Vauxhalls as presents..?

A scrappy Vauxhall each…? That would have been luxury. Mine had to do with a shared mini!

wingnuts

Nice story. My Mum bought Dad a Seamaster in about 1970 for some v special occasion. She gave it to me when he died and I wore it most of the time. On the day I didn’t of course some scrot broke into the house and stole a variety of stuff. I bet they didn’t know what they’d got and dumped it cause it had a crappy leather strap. Thought about replacing it but haven’t cause it wouldn’t be his and they haven’t done they restrained simple style since I could afford one. Maybe when I retire….

bearnecessities

Wingnuts, that really sucks; scumbags. I can recommend waiting for the restrained simple style though & spending the dough. It does work, in that stupid way that makes sense 🙂

wingnuts

You’re right and my son likes watches so it might be a way to continue the tradition, as I do still have my grandfather’s pocket watch (given to him on his retirement)

footflaps

I’m not into watches (don’t even own one), but that Omega does have a very clean look to it, so much so I almost like it 😉

epicyclo

Nice watch.

Forgive the scrotey comments of the Nintendo generation, they know not what they do.

maccruiskeen

Thing is, it’ll never see the light of day on my wrist.

are your arms really that hairy?

drlex
    Free Member

are your arms really that hairy?

ha!

Liking the classic lines of that Omega. Much easier to shoot a cuff & glance at a wristwatch than pull a mobile from a pocket, esp. if carrying things/ driving.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

So a grand at least. Just googled it.

Well if it makes you happy I’m pleased for you…

Oh dear, one doesn’t discuss anything so base as cost, it’s just not the done thing in polite company old chap.

Nice subtle watch, well done you.

glacier79
    Free Member

Sensible purchase/investment, enjoy! I bought a Tag Heuer Monaco back in 2004 and was puzzled when passing my local jewellers to see they were twice the price I originally paid. When I asked the guy inside how this could be he answered, ‘yeah, they put up the prices by 5% every three months’! Nice business model if you can get away with it I suppose!

stu1972
    Free Member

The company I work for recently enforced a complete ban of mobile phones. It’s amazing how many people went back to watches, myself being one of them.

I couldn’t be without one now & it feels weird off my wrist.

To the OP, I suggest you wear it on a daily basis. Life is too short.

Lovely watch by the way.

trevron73
    Free Member

My parents spent so much on a house in the country (a semi tha knows) that they were F$cked for cash for many years , my Grandad died and 20 years later when i married i got given a Longines conquest ,(i guess if i got it sooner i would of sold it for crack,meth or hookers ) now for my 40th i’m gettin a watch i can hand down. if they sell it for renters and drugs -enjoy- if they sell it because they need to? good luck and if they enjoy and are proud of it , well my hard work was not in vain .i still have the longines and it means so much to me as i had no idea when granpa died that he had it now im scared to wear out side the house . That is a very very attractive watch the blue is amazing ,well done.

trevron73
    Free Member

Ampthill you are a **** = may all your rides be punctured and all you girls deflated

bentandbroken

@bearnecessities – I don’t do watches, but that looks nice (IMHO) and the history of the purchase is nice 🙂

@deadlydarcy – I don’t know how you got on with your dad, but maybe start a ‘tradition’. For example; wear it for an hour while drinking his favorite drink on his birthday (or other suitable date). I have recently started a ‘tradition’ in honour of my dad and it is poignant, but brings back nice memories

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

may all your rides be punctured and all your girls deflated

Same thing, shirley?

somafunk

{flame mode on} A watch is heavy & useless since everyone (mostly) has a mobile phone in their pocket all the time. The only reason to own one is shallow vanity! {flame mode off}

You know i used to hold exactly the same reasoning for years, i haven’t owned a watch since being at school in the 80’s and wearing my casio calculator digital just so i could spell 8008135 in the classroom, i’d always held the same belief that coz i had a phone in my pocket “what’s the point of wearing a watch?”, needless to say like most sneeringly held belief systems it was soon shattered when i saw this watch on a website,

so i bought myself it and i find myself wearing it all the time, it is actually quite handy to have a visual representation of time so handy rather than pulling a phone out a pocket and my general time keeping has sharpened up to such an extent that i actually turn up on time now, and yeah…i initially bought it coz i think it looks nice and doesn’t need me to ever wind it up and whilst it certainly ain’t no fantastic Omega creation (very nice) like bearnecessities posted i kinda like it.

Former watch sneerer who has turned watch wearer, and as for shallow vanity? – pffft……..pleb!.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Lovely watch bear and worthy of a show-off and congratulations on realising a dream. As you say life’s too short.

Dd – I’m with you on wearing watches, as in not a fan, but as a suggestion you could wear your Dad’s on special occasions perhaps 💡

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Can I just be a complete twerp please and show off?’ is closed to new replies.