Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Can bikes be an investment/dream bike content…
  • DrP

The first point is an attempt to justify the second point…..

Now, I've got an 'atypical' dream bike in my mind, and was planning on (probably) getting it in a few years time, once my little'un is a bit older, and I've a bit more money in the bank etc etc.
    The plan was all made, the dream was all there…..

Now, this bike is gonna be expensive, but it is the 'dream' bike…

However, via a tenuous link, one has come up for sale NOW, second hand but good nick, at a pretty good price (couple of grand). This has thrown the whole life plan out of kilter as a)I really do want this thing, and b)I'm not 100% in the position to buy it, wasn't quite ready for this, and given the kid's only a few months old, not sure I'll justify the "cost to ride" ratio at the mo!

I'm purposely being 'low brow' on which bike it is BTW, as it doesn't really alter the conundrum!

So – what would you do in this situation? Buy the bike as yes, I probably would regret not buying it, or be a bit more financially sensible and hold out and keep to the plan….?

DrP

SC13NT1F1C
    Free Member

Sell ur kid on fleebay, buy the bike, have a day of guilt(for selling ur kid), ride the bike, guilt over, jobs a good'un.

EDIT: If you have a wife, your **** either way.

mrmo
    Free Member

it is a bike, however nice it is. It won't make you faster, fitter or a better rider, those are all down to you. If you buy it expecting the world to change you will be disappointed.

I am not saying don't buy it, but make sure you can justify spending the money now, that it won't impact on now.

uplink
    Free Member

Most people sometimes have to be financially responsible
    Having young kids is usually such a time

it's only a bike

peteimpreza

Buy the bike.

Your economy needs you!

Woody
    Free Member

I probably would regret not buying it

There is your answer.

and

a) you can use it now
    b) you will actually save money compared to buying new in a few years time
    c)you can never truly justify a bike on a 'cost per ride' basis so that part is irrelevant!

You can't plan everything and if you do buy it and regret it you can always sell it again, so you really don't have a valid reason for not buying it 😆

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Highly unlikely to be an 'investment' but my attitude is that I work for a reason. If I want something and can afford it, I'll have it.
    Regret nothing. Use it as a learning experience.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Two thoughts:

– it isn't an "investment", it's a wasting asset. Any benefit from it is not going to be much different from the benefit you get from your current bike; and

– in a couple of years time your dream bike will be a different bike that you don't own.

I'd not bother, and I don't have a kid. Sorry. 😀

luked2
    Free Member

Tax increases, spending cuts, economic downturn are all just around the corner.

You can either buy it now, or wait ten years for the economy to sort itself out.

In between you will be grateful for every penny you can find just to keep a roof over your head and food on the table.

badnewz
    Free Member

The words bike and investment go together like Chelsea and fair play.
    In the same way a car loses a grand as soon as you drive it off the forecourt, a bike loses probably a third of its value when you collect it from the shop.
    Saying that, if it is a real collector item there is the possibility that certain vintages will increase in value; like old Vespas, people used to sell them for scrap in the 80s, now they are worth a small fortune.

traildog
    Free Member

You cannot see it as an investment as it's not. Bikes, especially mountain bikes, have a finite life. Technology will move on and in two years time your dream bike will no longer be your dream bike and you'll be wanting the next thing.

That said, wait two years and that's two years without the bike you want. You have to weight up how much you want to indulge yourself above your family.

njee20
    Free Member

If you want it, and can afford it, then buy it. Just don't kid yourself that it's an investment.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. It isn't rocket science.

tron
    Free Member

I think it would have to be something very special. The MTB equivalent of a TdF replica, say. And I'm not sure if it'll hold value – to me, any reasonably old Carbon / Alloy frame is always going to be a bit worrying, especially if it's light and the kind of bike that will get ragged (ie, I'd worry more about a Klein than I would a big heavy Giant).

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I rode more in the first year after having kids than in the second. I'm selling bikes off now, rarely use them, toddlers are much more fun to be with than babies. I much prefer to spend time with them at the weekend than other men in lycra on a windsewpt moor.

At least if you buy the second hand one it will have done most of its depreciating already so you won't loose as much

chakaping
    Free Member

Wasn't the last time we saw this logic when Psychle bought that "special" Ibis for a similar sum?

To answer your own question just look up his thread and if it doesn't put you off, you might as well go for it.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I would wait.

I see bikes as short term investments buy them and sell them on later. Its nice to try lots of different bikes.

Or if you can afford it buy it and when you tastes change in a few years and you want the next dream bike sell it and get the new dream 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you dont have the means now, then nurture that dream until you can. It'll only bring heartache if you do buy it and right now in the current financial climate, i'd be doing EVERYTHING i could to keep my head above the waves.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I gave up on "dream bikes" ages ago (I's almost say "grew out of" but that's a bit patronising).

It's nice to believe that your current bikes are good enough and the latest bike/bike you've not tried will add anything significant to your riding.

Each to their own and all…

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

IMO Bikes aren't really an investment if you ride them they generally will lose some money. That said there is something nice about a dream bike, its nice to ride, other riders will ask questions (most of them are nice) and when you get off you can't help a look back.

If you can afford it and the wife won't have your head on a stick buy it.

I have spent good money on bikes over the years and sold them as a deposit for the next dream bike and this cycle is about to start again as I now want a new dream road bike.

DrP

To add to the mystery…. the wife'll be able to ride it with me too 😉

Think I'll go for it – can always sell my current 'bicycle made for two' to fund some of it!

DrP

nedrapier

Ti Santana?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

If this bicycle made for 2 is of the off road persuasion, then i feel i have to put my hand up for occasional back seat duties as i'm only down the road. 🙂

Norton
    Free Member

Few bikes are likely to be an investment – one exception being a Moulton -if you bought one of the more esoteric f frame moultons from the 60s or an AM series some time ago you'd probably be quids in now – crazy prices on E-bay.

I reckon a brand new Moulton might actually be a good investment – I'd guess in 20 years time you'd at least get your money back plus inflation.

Its not the AM Jubilee currently on e-bay is it? (because you could get a brand new AM Esprit for little more than the starting price…)

DrP

Rusty – you do know we use our current tandem off road don't you? Next time you're round, we'll stick the wheels on it and take it for a comedy spin (comedy as the rear is suited for the tiny missus, not a fully grown brickie!)

Actually – riding tomorrow if interested?

BTW – I've given it some thought, and you're all right (well, the ones that said don't do it!). I need to get out of this habit of wanting to buy/upgrade bikes and actually ride the bloody things!

DrP

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Could well be up for riding tomorrow, missus and kids are away.

edhornby

rusty'd be fine on the back, he's as tall as most girls 😀

andrewh
    Free Member

I bought my dream bike last year (custom spec Yeti ASR-carbon).
    Bought my dream bike 6 years ago (custom spec Marin XC100)

Point is, dream bike changes over time, usually as new bikes appear. If the dream bike in question is a modern one, I would say hold off as better bikes will be along shortly. However, if it is some sort of retro-bike, then get it now while you can. Only one likely to be an investment is probably retro, depreciating is already done.

Car annalogy – 1) your dream car is a Ferrari F430. Why buy now? F430 Scudaria due shortly and no doubt replacement for F430 soon enough, and it will be better.
    2) your dream car is Ferrair 250GTO. Buy it now, you may never get the chance again, they will only get rarer.

edhornby

SORRY – wrong rusty!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Cheers! 😛

tthew

@edhornby

Trowel

Spanner

(ratchet spanner mind, nice!)

fontmoss
    Free Member

i like andrewh's reasoning

prettygreenparrot

Skip it. There'll be something better and cheaper along in time. Use the money you 'save' on something more transient like holidays or meals out. And spend the time thinking about getting a new bike on riding your old one.

Psyblog – why consumer culture is unsatisfying

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Can bikes be an investment/dream bike content…’ is closed to new replies.