• This topic has 28 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by aP.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me some nice fast wheels for next spring?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

ive got this at the moment for winter and work commute; http://whyte.bike/gb/models/commuterroad/rd-7-road-disc/suffolk/

obviously it has discs so that’s why im asking.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Those round ones are good I hear.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Sorry that wasn’t helpful was it.

tomhoward

Budget?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-60mm-88mm-clincher-carbon-wheels-carbon-road-cycling-wheelset-/321266257034?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4accf60c8a

Have a craic with Wing Ting from cycling-cycling. They’re based in China but they’re very good!

Should be able to do you a custom build using 80mm carbon rims and disc hubs (novatec I think). Very light, stiff and fast. No braking issues either. Make sure you tell them it’s for your commuting bike. They can add a special reflective layer to the rims which is only picked up in the dark by car headlights; it’ll definitely make you stand out.

If you don’t fancy buying from China, go down to your LBS with a pack of biscuits and see if they can have a chat with Wing Ting. They may do a discount and then your LBS can build them up for you. I’m sure they’d be happy to help

jacob46
    Free Member

no more than £600 for pair without tyres

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cero AR30’s from Cycle Division

http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product-info.php?CERO_AR30_Superlight_Alloy_Clincher-pid133.html

I have a set and I’m really happy with them. Incredibly light, stiff, feels quick to accelerate, very smooth rolling and great customer service back up from Cycle Division (they rang me to ensure I had received the wheels) all you need really .

Ah, discs – scrub that then!

boblo
    Free Member

£600 wheels on a ~£1000 bike? Does not compute….

captain-slow
    Free Member

£600 wheels on a £1199 bike is not illogical

£600 wheels for commuting on the other hand…

boblo
    Free Member

50% of the cost of an ally commuter on wheels? Really? MMTS…

shermer75
    Free Member

£600 wheels on a ~£1000 bike? Does not compute….

It makes a kind of sense to me, seeing as changing your wheels tends to be where you notice the improvement the most.

shermer75
    Free Member

In fact now I’ve thought about it I think it makes a lot of sense- with a good pair of wheels you could end up with a really quick bike for a lot less cost. Can’t see anything wrong with that!

drovercycles
    Free Member

Mavic’s new Ksyrium Pro Disc wheels would be right up your street – assuming you want to spend that sort of money. They also do an Aksium level disc wheelset for less money.

jacob46
    Free Member

thank you drovercycles & shermer75!

i purchased mavic ksyrium’s for my spec tarmac 5 months ago and what a difference they made for £500. i didn’t realize they did a pair for disc. ill look for them now ,cheers.

jacob46
    Free Member

boblo sort your eyes out!!

jacob46
    Free Member

dont matter the cost as long as the rides better. changed the tyres yesterday and the standard wheels way a ton compared to my mavic’s on my race bike.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah it was a mistake getting the Shyte Suffolk with its concrete wheels. Shame you rushed into it… 😀

jacob46
    Free Member

cracking bike boblo! wheels solid but very heavy!

boblo
    Free Member

But £700 for those Mavic’s. Really? Novatech hubs and Aileron rims (or Archetypes if you’re feeling tight). Brilliant hand-built wheels for less than £400…

jacob46
    Free Member

send me links boblo

boblo
    Free Member

No one is home to the boy with no manners…

jacob46
    Free Member

Why give me half a solution?

Links please?

boblo
    Free Member

That’s better. Manners maketh man. Have a look at Archetypes and Ailerons
    here

jacob46
    Free Member

the look of these are nicer but ide like to know if they are stiff!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mavic/aksium-one-disc-700c-road-wheelset-ec071983

boblo
    Free Member

Ah well, if it’s the look you’re after… The Aksiums are 200g heavier as well :-/

jacob46
    Free Member

Are they stiff?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If you can wait until Dec/Jan, just get the Kinesis CX Disc wheels when they are back in stock (currently showing as 5th December on the Upgrade bikes website, the importers).

Off-the-shelf options won’t be much lighter than your current ones imo.

If you want to build some, or get some built, thats probably better. Look for the “Novatec D712SB” hubs on ebay, they can be upgraded to 11 speed. They weigh around 410 grams. Or if you want to save money, the D812SB ones are good too but not quite as light.

ACI double butted spokes from cyclebasket (20 quid)

Rims, whatever you fancy.
    I’ve had good experiences with Halo Aerotrack are good, 24 quid from Winstanleys, and weigh 435grams.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks for that link boblo, I think herself may be ordering some Campag 11spd wheels next week 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me some nice fast wheels for next spring?’ is closed to new replies.