Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Can anyone here build an iPhone app?
  • spacemonkey

I have an idea for something that doesn’t seem to exist + I’m pretty sure there would be a market for it. All I need is a trustworthy code monkey to partner with. Am waiting for a developer mate (who’s not the most reliable) to get back to me. In the meantime, has anyone here done this or interested?

Cheers

CountZero

Looks fun, but I have barely enough ability to build a Lego house, an iPhone app is about as far away as learning Mandarine, sadly. Good luck, hope it works out. I’d be interested in knowing more about it if you can get some development behind it.

redthunder
    Free Member

I’ve got an idea for an App.. but cant program for toffee. Well I could but cant be bothered to learn.

However, try this…

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

johndoh
    Free Member

Spacemonkey – in all honesty, any decent developer will have enough work to do without needing to ‘partner’. Being in the web industry myself I have lost count of the amount of times we have been asked similar.

At the end of the day, if you think you have a great idea then you should finance it and pay the developer for the work they do.

BTW, are you sure you need an App? Responsive web design means it is now possible to make a website behave in a similar fashion to an app (then you have a site too).

spacemonkey

Well, it turns out that Apple’s famed “walled garden” is the likely reason no-one else has published a similar app. It’s just not allowed. I’ll now have to check out Android’s Market et al.

BTW, this wouldn’t work as a website. The app is 100% phone-centric.

johndoh
    Free Member

How can you be sure if you haven’t discussed it with a developer?

chvck
    Free Member

Do you need access to the phone sensors/hardware? Generally if the answer is no then I’d go website route.

spacemonkey

How can you be sure if you haven’t discussed it with a developer?

Because its functionality is phone-specific. It is not web-based in any way.

Do you need access to the phone sensors/hardware? Generally if the answer is no then I’d go website route.

No. But it would need access to something else which is what it appears Apple don’t allow.

chvck
    Free Member

Last time that I wrote an app Android also restricted access to some things so it might be worth double checking that.

samuri
    Free Member

Those apps that claim to make your iPhone vibrate in a pleasing way always fail to satisfy. Is it like that?

IA

No. But it would need access to something else which is what it appears Apple don’t allow.

What do you need access to? I can probably tell you if it’s ok on Android…

(not an app developer, but developing for android was the day job for over a year)

Nick

Many apps are thought up by people just like you and then outsourced to a developer.

Have a look on Elance https://www.elance.com/ or Odesk https://www.odesk.com/

Also have a read/listen to this

http://mixergy.com/ken-yarmosh-appsavvy-interview/

redthunder
    Free Member

I want a Field Archery Scoring App.

Who could help me ?

Kill 20, 14, 8
    Would 16 10 4

Over 33 to x targets.

Cougar

Ooh. Nice idea.

There’s a few generic “game score” apps of varying quality on the market (Android at least), would something like that suffice? I suppose you’ll need something to record which shot you scored with as well though, so perhaps not.

In the absence of anything official I’d probably defer to something like a notepad app. Shouldn’t be a huge ask to code though.

redthunder
    Free Member

Obiwan, your my only hope !

vinnyeh

We have over 700,000 Apps in the App Store. If your App doesn’t do something useful, unique or provide some form of lasting entertainment, it may not be accepted.

If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you’re trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection. We have lots of serious developers who don’t want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour.

We will reject Apps for any content or behavior that we believe is over the line. What line, you ask? Well, as a Supreme Court Justice once said, “I’ll know it when I see it”. And we think that you will also know it when you cross it.

I also quite like

Apps that duplicate Apps already in the App Store may be rejected, particularly if there are many of them, such as fart, burp, flashlight, and Kama Sutra Apps.

Cougar

I mean, it shouldn’t be a huge ask for someone who can actually do it. I wasn’t volunteering.

I could ask around, but in light of that previous comment I dunno how far we’d get.

redthunder
    Free Member

@cougar

Only kidding.. but you have now promised faithfully 😉

Please ask around 🙂 That would be cool.

molgrips
    Free Member

I could knock up the archery thing in Android, probably. Although I don’t understand your post, it sounds like a simple calculation.

Cougar

It is.

It’s been a while so this might not be 100% accurate. But basically, in field archery you shoot (typically) three arrows at a target, and stop when you score. You then get points weighted by how many shots you took. So, a kill on a first shot would score 20; a miss then a kill on your second would score 14, and suchlike. A wound is the same idea, but lower scoring as per RT’s post.

You’d then tot up those scores for all the targets to get a final total at the end.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok, but you have to enter them into your phone yourself? Seems clumsy.

It’d be cool if you could use your phone’s camera to do it automatically.. but that would require more expertise than I have and also a long zoom lens on your phone 🙂

Cougar

It’d also probably be illegal (in game terms) – in most classes you’re not allowed sight aids, and you’d spend half your life having to explain what you’re doing if you started pointing your camera at targets.

Also, you’d have to differentiate between your arrow and everyone else’s – you take turns in a group, then retrieve en masse once your group has all shot.

I guess half a dozen radio buttons and a ‘submit’ would suffice.

redthunder
    Free Member

As Cougar says.

@Molgrips

I could email you decent info if you like. Or an example score card.

The cheapo whiskey is effecting my typing and thinking at the moment.

Cheers fro now,

RT

redthunder
    Free Member

PS

I’m an instinctive archer 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

So from what I have read, that really *wouldn’t* need to be an ‘App’ at all.

Cougar

So am I.

You shoot longbow, IIRC? I always shot HT.

redthunder
    Free Member

HT

Cougar

Ah, cool. Brothers in arms.

redthunder
    Free Member

Are you still shooting ?

My next shoot is Severn Valley.

My last was Druids. Have you shot there?

From a Racoon Shoot:

Great fun 🙂 Mine are the blue arrows 🙂 [Clarkson Smug}

Racoon Shoot by SGMTB, on Flickr

Not quite a 24 ;-(

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone here build an iPhone app?’ is closed to new replies.