Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Campervan/day van
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Car pondering here…..

Back in the days before kids I had a Landrover Defender 110, great tool for throwing bikes and camping kit in the back. Full length roof rack with a pull out awning for eating/cooking below.

fast forward a few years and 2 kids and another on the way. Thinking of a campervan/day camper that be be used on a daily basis. Probably mostly be used as a day van, nice to have cooking facilities, may occasionally sleep in it…. Vw’s seem to be 4 seaters?

At the minute thinking of another Landrover with big roof rack and awning and just bung tent and stove in boot.

Anyone?

takisawa2

Sold a bed to a chap off here a few weeks ago.
    Was very impressed with his Renault Traffic Combi. I’d have one in a flash. Get a fridge, cooker & sink unit plumbed in & would make a great family bus.
    Checked out prices & compared to VW’s offering, they looked a bargain.

grantway
    Free Member

If you need it to be a van too, then why not insulate a van and carpet line it and
    put a sink and hob in the corner like This one
    and use blow up beds

khani
    Free Member

BONGOOOOO!!!
    Umbongoumbongoumbongo.. BONGOOOOOOOOOO…..
    Bongo…
    Sorry, 😳 I used to have one..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had a transit with a bed, enough room for 6 bikes, seating in the back (for relaxing not driving but you can put that in) took the gas stove and BBQ. Sold it when we came to Oz but want another. Would add an awning.

RustyNissanPrairie

Forget overpriced VW have a look at ex network rail Transit welfare vans. Insulated, 6 or 9 seats (with seatbelts), 240v power, eberspacher heater, sink with hot and cold water, microwave, kettle/water boiler urn, loads of storage, loads of internal lighting, rear cargo area for bikes&gear.
    loads on Ebay/trader. Paid £5k for ours on an 07plate with 70k miles. Brilliant vehicle, i also own an expedition/overlander 110 with Howling Moon rooftent&awning but the Transit is a better day to day vehicle unless you want to go offroad.

backinireland
    Free Member

Guess I just fancy another landrover!

Nissan prairie? Learnt to drive in one of those!

Stoner
    Free Member

backinI

I have a T4 camper which I got 6yrs ago off another forumite. We are 4 (7yr old + 3yr old) and love the van. I use it as a day to day runner as Mrs S has the freelander now for work (I work from home).
    So I use it for school runs. There’s a rock’n;roll seat which has a 3point and a lap belt for the boys.

Im also rebuilding a 110 to be my daily because the camper has been having to work hard carrying stuff and dirty rugby training kit etc when Id prefer to keep it for holidays and weekends. We’ve done 70k in it over those 6 yrs and we “live” in it for 4wks of the year in summer on the continent.

Its a really comfortable drive. But I do make sure I spend the £ on keeping it very well serviced. It’s just had £600+ spent on it for its 120k timing belt change and service for example (plus exhaust mid-pipe). But all that TLC should mean I get it to 200k without any problems.

for day trips we would always use the T4: it has great space (loads more than a 110), comfortable for long distance (we can do 500 miles in one go without anyone getting uncomfortable) and I can still get 37-40mpg out of it (60-65mph). Cooking/washing is handy, as is the pop roof for space.

In France at an Aire, we can pop the roof cook, put the kids to bed, get comfortable and read and then get to bed ourselves without treading on each other or opening the door if we want.

I will be glad to have a 110 for daily use even if it isnt as comfortable as the T4, but I would always pick a T4 for trips.

T4 Pros: Space, comfort, flexibility, nearly 40mpg.
    Cons: noisy, still looks like a plumber’s van, errr that’s it.

sc-xc

^ as Stoner. I’m pretty new to van ownership (unless you count the rusty bay back in the day). 5 of us camped easy in our van a couple of weeks ago, and it’s great as a daily drive. VW FTW.

backinireland
    Free Member

Three point and a lap belt is what worries me really I need 3 3 point belts for kids in back.

sc-xc

We have 3 up front and 2 in the back, all 3 point belts.

backinireland
    Free Member

3 up front? Comfy enough on a long journey beside a child seat?

sc-xc

Seems to be, we use a child seat in the middle seat, wife hasn’t complained.

As driver, you get a nice big chair with armrests….

woffle
    Free Member

BONGOOOOO!!!
    Umbongoumbongoumbongo.. BONGOOOOOOOOOO…..
    Bongo…

This.

We’ve an unconverted V6 Mazda bongo fitted with full leisure battery setup and hookup etc – yes it’s thirsty (unsurprisingly) but it’s really easy to drive and has enough poke for comfortable motorway trips, there’s loads of room for us, two kids and dog plus enough camping gear for a week or two. They’re alright for towing too if you need more kit and you can get a roof-rack for them also.

It’s essentially the same size as a Mercedes E Class estate so not too unwieldy and will get into most height restricted car-parks.

Ours has been a great workhorse lugging stuff about for our last house move. 4 wheel drive so good(ish) in fields with decent tyres fitted and we’ve a stonking great awning for when we go camping for more than a night. You can get fully removable factory fitted kitchens on ebay that sits in the boot or where the removable back seats go.

Oh, and the grandparents like it because they can jump in and we can truck around in one car when they’re visiting.

I’d buy another in a heartbeat. The diesels are more common and there’s a more frugal 2 litre petrol available (though they tend to be slightly more expensive). Oh, and we should get back what we paid for her too.

hora
    Free Member

Toyota Hi Ace?

jamesfuller
    Free Member

I’m just about to get a Sprinter van to replace my old transit as its much bigger. I’m going to fit the back out for bike/tool storage and (very) basic accommodation.

To get around the seating problem I got a minibus twin seat. It comes with the seat belts built into the seat and just needs bolting to the floor properly with some thick plates.
    I will then cut down the front passenger seat into a single so we can walk through to the back!
    The minibus seats don’t cost a lot. I was given mine, just had to drive to Somerset to pick it up.

backinireland
    Free Member

Liking this

http://www.directcampers.me.uk/box7.html

Any idea of insurancecosts for a camper van?

paulevans
    Free Member

Very excited here – picking up our VW California tomorrow!! Can’t wait, even if collection does involve a 3.5 hr train journey first.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

bung tent and stove in boot.

If you don’t have to sleep in it – a people carrier might be a more versatile alternative – take the spare seats out and you have a very comfy crew van without the insurance/ferry/visibilty issues

pictonroad

Insurance is usually less than a car on a camper. Perverse if you ask me, but insurance is a mystical calculation at the best of times.

hammyuk
    Free Member

FYI on insurance – any of the ex -Network welfare vehicles are horrendous on insurance.
    If you look at any of the crew vans then be aware that some can be insured as estate cars others require a commercial policy for the exact same vehicle on a different year or engine.
    Underwriters refused to say why other than that’s what they decided.
    I’m just about to sell on my Trafic Crew as it no longer gets used.
    6 adults, 4 bikes with the racking in, 6 bikes with the bottom rack out, rear seat lifts so will sleep someone 6ft plus.
    Semi auto box gives better economy that the manual too and it was over £6k less than the same year VW!
    Drives like an oversized car.
    Only going as it and the A3 are being changed for a Maxi Life

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Campervan/day van’ is closed to new replies.