Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Camper vans. Whats your top tips ?
  • Tracey

After a three month delay we have finally had the nod that our camper van is ready to pick up tomorrow. Its an early start and a long drive to get it. When we ordered it we thought we would have a few months to get used to it ready for our Alps trip.
    We are now in at the deep end with only two weeks till our holidays and our first venture out will be on Friday up to the PMBA Enduro this weekend.
    Any good tips that will help would be great.

ton

what van did you get? oh, and I finally had a big pie in that pub you suggested. 8)

trail_rat
    Free Member

assuming its a pukka camper van and not just a builders van with a bed in it ……

put foam in your cutlery drawer and put some foam insulating tape under the fridge shelves to make them a tight fit in the slots.

the ratling will drive you mad if you dont 😀

the one i hired was like a skeleton riding an orange 5 down some stairs.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

When you pick it up check EVERYTHING works. Check for water leaks. Fill the tank to the brim and go for a drive. If it is along way to collect, it will be a long way to go to get any issues put right.

Tracey

Finally went with a Chausson with the Ford cab. A bit like this

http://news.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/P1000369.jpg

Not had a pie for a while although have passed it a few times. Been spending quite a bit of time in Wharncliffe as Abigale tries to develop he DH skills

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats very nice Tracey. ….. but i believe the stock answer on here is ….”shoulda bought a SWB T5 with a tailgate…. – its just better”……..

*tongue firmly in cheek*

ton

that is fantastic……enjoy.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

That is nice… we keep thinking of getting one someday when finances aren’t borderline catastrophic.

Perhaps a nice retirement present to ourselves in another 25 years or so.

Tracey

Would have loved to go the VW way in the 80’s when most weekends were spent on the beach windsurfing but at my age I need all the comforts I can get.

khani
    Free Member

Practice putting the awning up, and don’t forget to pack a corkscrew..
    Edit, that’s very nice btw.. 🙂

Tracey

Not got an awning yet, going to wait and see after the summer, corkscrew and wine ready to be loaded.

IHN

That’s not a campervan, that’s a caravan with an engine 🙂

rogermoore

Folks have a camper and have borrowed it a few times for trips home and abroad. Can’t really think of any specifics it’s all common sense really. That being said, I’m an idiot so in no specific order:
    – Make sure it isn’t still plugged into the campsite electrics before trying to drive off.
    – Don’t let the bog get full before emptying it. Ever.
    – Don’t get drunk and swing on the door – they’re not that strong.
    – If you just shove loads of crap into the multitude of storage cupboards these have, don’t be shocked when after a twisty-turny drive you open said cupboards and get showered with the contents.
    – Just because they have ladders up to the roof, it doesn’t mean you have to go up there when drunk to mess about. It’s quite a long way down.
    RM.
    p.s. Thought of an actual tip! Get a little brush and store it near the door, great for quick clean ups of mud/sand etc.

alpin
    Free Member

was going to say something similar…. less a campervan, more a mobile home.

“shoulda bought a SWB LWB T5 with a tailgate and a pop-top…. – its just better”……..

ftfy

Tracey

In my eyes its a camper. Keep the tips coming.

willard

As a T5 owner… Sod the T5! That looks awesome. Ok, I can use mine to take things to the tip, but that’s a better machine for actual proper camping.

Tips:

Make sure that any driveaway awning is set up as drive away before you drive away. i.e. don’t forget to put int he poles that stop it falling down on the contents.

Bungee down anything that can slide, because it will.

It will be both hotter and colder than you think it will be. Take a spare blanket, unless it’s in summer, in which case be prepared to cook.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Get a routine before you drive away.

Power Cable disconnected?

Roof windows shut

Gas turned off

Fridge switched to battery

loose stuff put away

drawers shut and locked

chairs stowed

bikes locked on or locked up

fill water/empty toilet when you can NOT when you need to!

have fun

get some decent sounds to play

have fun

Look at T5s and think NAH – way too small!

lovely van – makes ours look a bit MEH

best of luck

IHN

It will be both hotter and colder than you think it will be.

Ah, a good point. Always weigh up the best camping pitch carefully when you’re anywhere vaguely warm; you want the van to be in the shade as much as possible because they heat up like a bugger. Trees are your friend, as is a compass to work out where the sun (and therfore the shade) will be through the day.

khani
    Free Member

Ooh ooh.. also, when you’re not using it, leave the fridge door open..

wombat

Get some of those big yellow plastic wedges to park on if you need to level it up on a sloping site (unless you have some sort of fancy self levelling suspension)

db

Get a sticker with the height + width on the sun visor…

DO NOT ASSUME THE SAT NAV KNOWS THIS INFORMATION!

🙂

towzer

practice packing to stop rattles
    I draw your attention to the increasing range of folding pans/kettles/bowls etc
    A cadac safari bbq (esp if external gas point) allows a LOT of cooking outside
    check the bed – we added a memory foam layer after getting seat button back
    bin liners and changing outside (as if you get mud etc inside – pita to clear)
    understand water – ie heater will probably only allow a 10l?? shower at hot, also ‘excess’ usage can empty tanks quite quick (*ie gf started off with a long shower… it went cold …)
    our fridge only works if the van is ‘quite’ level – yours might too ….
    pack some spare toilet chems (and make sure they right for your loo)
    if leaving windows shut for a long time teflon spray rubber seals ESP before winter storage
    get one of those weird multi peg/square folding cheap shop hanging mini clothes racks(honest)
    taylormade (imho) do the most ‘solid’ 2 bike cover – see also 4m steel windsurfer lock and also 4m clamping straps for locking bikes on rack
    beware window blinds and windy days ……..
    (Nuevo EK)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive got a quechua base seconds XL pop up tent / shelter for sale which make great awnings..includes the optional living room. Literally the fastest awning to put up. Used about 4 times.
    £150 posted

pk13

Little yellow wheel chocks for leveling it. You will be surprised how 3% or less slopes can mess with your mind.
    Don’t run out of gas when away as its soooo expensive on the coast.

Enjoy.

IHN

Don’t bother with little yellow wheel chocks, get these (possibly available cheaper elsewhere)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-MILENCO-QUATTRO-LEVEL/dp/B003V58SBO

The yellow ones are really designed for skinny caravan tyres, not fat motorhome ones.

jonnyseven

That is really nice.
    The empty the toilet tip is essential, never ever live to regret it.
    Small spirit level
    Never trust sat nav and have a map to check the route. You need to remember it thinks you are driving a small run around at the best of times and that you won’t have any issues with 10 miles of single lane country tracks to cut out 2 minutes driving on normal roads.
    Empty the water pump properly before winter if it’s to be stored outside.
    Shower – wet yourself, turn the water off, soap up then rinse. 7 to 10 litres of hot water doesn’t last long esp it you faff trying to get the temperature right.
    Sleep in it. If the beds are hard you might want a duvet under you as well as on top. After two weeks of aching body in the alps this matters.

MoreCashThanDash

When will I learn to stop looking at camper van threads?

Moses

If camping rough away form campsites & people, carry a folding shovel to avoid filling the loo too quickly.
    Take an eye mask if you can’t sleep well in daylight
    Levelling ramps are ace.
    If your van doesn’t have rear-view, don’t be afraid to ask someone for help when you’re reversing. Tin cans bend easily

towzer

get a proper map – bridge heights and weights – also max widths, in that I suspect 3.5 ton bridges will be illegal as it can stop awkward dead ends

when we did Scotland (ie a fair few tv and internet free ones) we would stop at a proper site with faciities and bulk download lots that we could play later – that may suit to deal with wet weather/midges

if it’s front wheel drive and rear tanks it might be worth steep hill grip testing when full as you might be surprised at the spin

*sorry – when cleaning cassette don’t shake just swill (shaking can break internals)

Tracey

Thanks for all the tips. We are back home after 560 mile round trip to pick it up. Every thing loaded except food and bikes so will be off on our first trip tomorrow up to the Enduro at Kirroughtree. Hope the weather holds and every thing works

GavinB

Wow, that looks great. We’ve had ours for about 6 months now, and just love to get away in it whenever we can.

Some great tips above btw.

Things I’ve found useful:

Spirit level – don’t need one if you have a smartphone. Most have a built-in level
    Check out the sound system, and ideally get it so it works on bluetooth with the keys removed from the ignition. I did a simple wire from the leisure battery to a on-off-on switch hidden in the dash, which means that when we park up I can switch the stereo from vehicle battery to leisure battery. Fitted a couple of good but small speakers in the back of the van too, so can sit in the comfy seats and play tunes off my phone over the stereo.
    Keep it packed with all the essentials (cooking stuff, cleaning stuff, UHT milk, coffee, tea, sugar etc etc, duvets). It then makes getting away on a Friday night really simple as you can just fill up with water, stick some milk and so on in, and you’re off.

Fiamma bike covers – utter junk. We split ours first trip out, sent it back. Got another one, and it’s gone after a couple more trips. Actually, yours looks as if it has a full height rear garage, so guess you’ll keep bikes in there.

Has it got reversing cameras and a solar panel/inverter? Reversing camera will reduce your insurance, as well as your stress levels. Solar panel and a DC Inverter will mean you can live away from campsites quite comfortably.

Check out http://www.wildcamping.co.uk for proper geeky motorhome stuff, millions of tips and advice and they have a map (if you subscribe) which shows you a great database of wild camping spots all over the UK. Really useful.

aP
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t ever consider going over the road up to Monte Baldo from Prada and down the other side to Assenza. We did it this morning and it was quite worrying (in a T5 LWB with pop-up roof and barndoors). At one point I thought I might get forced to revers for about 300m back up a 20% road because 4 elderly Italians in a convertible Merc couldn’t get back to a passing place.
    Get a system for where things go, and where they always go.
    Get a couple of small cheap rugs from somewhere like Tyger Tyger.
    Always pack an emergency bottlee of wine.

pictonroad

Pack like a house, not a tent, nothing in bags or special “camper specific stacking boxes”.

Most importantly of all don’t leave a window open slightly to air the van if gusts are forecast. They can and will snap a plastic window.

RustyNissanPrairie

Ooh a MK8 tranny camper – I likes!
    Only tips I can offer are Transit related;
    Always push the clutch down when starting or stopping the engine (to help save the DMF).

NEVER bump start a Tdci engine.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Camper vans. Whats your top tips ?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM