Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 357 total)
  • Cameron resigns – which goon will replace him?
  • wwaswas

epicyclo

You simply couldn’t have made up the last few weeks.

She’s probably the least worst candidate though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

flanagaj – Member
    Someone who sat on the fence like May did, does not fill me with confidence that she can deliver.

Her position (and I am not a fan historically) was probably the best of the lot. She recognised the flaws in the EU but also recognised that despite them it was in the UK’s best interests to remain on the basis of the unique conditions that the UK enjoyed.

Totally sensible position, in fact, the only sensible position.

No need to get embroiled in the lies and BS, just make you point and sit back and wait. She is the only senior politician who comes out of the past few weeks with any credit.

slowoldman

She recognised the flaws in the EU but also recognised that despite them it was in the UK’s best interests to remain on the basis of the unique conditions that the UK enjoyed.

Just a shame the Brexiters didn’t recognise the second point.

nickc

I wonder what she promised Andrea “stupid as mud” Leadsom to stand aside…

kimbers

nickc – Member
    I wonder what she promised Andrea “stupid as mud” Leadsom to stand aside…

magic beans i suspect

duckman

Or a bible Michael Gove left behind.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Loving this democracy! 😕

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

DaRC_L – Member

that’s because you vote for the party not the president PM

Holy moly, someone that understands how general elections work.

The amount of stupidity being spewed out about “I didn’t vote in Theresa, what a farce”. No you’re right you didn’t and nor did you vote in Cameron, you voted for your local MP.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

Loving this democracy!

🙄

AlexSimon

Holy moly, someone that understands how general elections work.

The amount of stupidity being spewed out about “I didn’t vote in Theresa, what a farce”. No you’re right you didn’t and nor did you vote in Cameron, you voted for your local MP. True – but you voted for a local MP affiliated to an organisation which is supposed to have a democratically elected leader.

richmtb

Just confirmed May will be Prime Minister on Wednesday

martinhutch

but you voted for a local MP affiliated to an organisation which is supposed to have a democratically elected leader.

Except when, under its rules, one is elected as leader unopposed.

Anyhow, a vote involving mainly conservative blue-rinses isn’t exactly the paragon of democracy. I for one am relieved that the party hasn’t been given the chance to lurch even further to the right by electing Leadsom.

It’s OK though, she can still put it on her CV.

AlexSimon

It doesn’t matter anyway – it’s just something that opposition will try and use against her – fact is that May would have won with a huge amount of support from the Conservative MPs.

seosamh77
    Free Member

The leadership of the tories is irrelevant. The fact their manifesto doesn’t state, in any way what-so-ever, the form that Brexit should take, is what makes all this anti-democratic.

It would still be anti-democratic even if the tories had a leadership contest. This just amplifies it.

ferrals
    Free Member

i thought this was meant to be a comedy, why is everyone taking it so seriously? 🙄 😆

slowoldman

Just confirmed May will be Prime Minister on Wednesday

Whose turn is it on Thursday?

cranberry
    Free Member
    kimbers

Cameron is humming a happy tune.

He must be so freakin relieved,
    Theresa May now has to swallow the entire shit sandwich that is post Brexit UK

slowoldman

He must be so freakin relieved,

You are Lewis Hamilton and I claim my £5.

kimbers

You are Lewis Hamilton and I claim my £5.

who do you think you are, the Taxman?,
    Im off back home to Monacao

cranberry
    Free Member

Theresa May now has to swallow the entire shit sandwich that is post Brexit UK

Are we up to Brexitageddon-ageddon-ageddon yet?

jambalaya
    Free Member

It is highly amusing to see all these demands for new referendums or a general election from those on the losing side of a democratic process.

The Tories have had a democratic leadership contest and one of the final two has decided to withdraw not least on the basis she knows she won’t win the head to head vote. Pragmatic.

seosamh77
    Free Member

What’s the plan, jamba?

jeff
    ninfan
    Free Member

What’s the plan, jamba?

The plan, surely, is to leave the EU.

non?

After all, the 2015 conservative manifesto stated that they would hold the referendum and respect the outcome.

you may also have forgotten that the Law says we only hold a general election once every five years unless there is a vote of no-confidence.

and lets face it, its not the Tories who are tied up in the problems caused by votes of no confidence at the moment, is it 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

Could you point me to the detail?

nickc

you may also have forgotten that the Law says

That the referendum wasn’t legally binding?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Headshot to nick!

ninfan
    Free Member

detail of what?

Nor is an election manifesto pledge, but look how upset Joseph seems to get about how important they are

(funnily enough a piece of caselaw involving the Labour Parties broken promise of a referendum on the EU constitution)

GrahamS

It is highly amusing to see all these demands for new referendums or a general election from those on the losing side of a democratic process.

I’m not keen on a second referendum on the same question. That undermines democracy.

But then I’m also not very keen on politicians basing a campaign around a bunch of headline promises – only for them to immediately withdraw those promises and resign once the vote has been won.
    That also undermines democracy. Probably more so than a second referendum.

Ah well…

“Something… something… something.. dark side… something… something… something… complete!”

seosamh77
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    detail of what?

Nor is an election manifesto pledge, but look how upset Joseph seems to get about how important they are
    dunno, if you’ve noticed, but I’m not arguing against their pledge, I’m arguing against the complete an utter non existence of any substance.

tory election manifesto
    We will honour the result of the referendum, whatever the outcome.
    the detail on that bit.

For me, that needs to be fleshed out, just a wee bit more. Personally, I think the people should have a say, and all the parties can put forward their brexit vision.

Do you see no contradiction in a campaign that argued to take back democracy acting without consulting the people on what it means?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Never mind her royal guards, I want to know what the rest of the ticker tape says.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The leadership of the tories is irrelevant. The fact their manifesto doesn’t state, in any way what-so-ever, the form that Brexit should take, is what makes all this anti-democratic.

Why would that be in a manifesto? The referendum was the pledge – and that was honoured. There are various options that now need to be considered and negotiated. By definition, they cant be details on the form – that’s one of the problems ie, it is going to take considerable time for all of this to be negotiated. FA to do with the manifesto though or with democratic/non-democratic debate.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m arguing against the complete an utter non existence of any substance.

Maybe you should have asked for it before they won the election, still, they did win the 2015 election, so they now have a free hand to do it however they want

For me, that needs to be fleshed out, just a wee bit more.

as you say, for you – but I’m guessing you didn’t vote for them in 2015 anyway, and those who did seem to have been willing to accept the uncertainty. Thats democracy, eh?

footflaps

fact is that May would have won with a huge amount of support from the Conservative MPs.

Not necessarily, the final vote was down to the membership, who are more Eurosceptic than the PP, so Leadson could have easily won.

and one of the final two has decided to withdraw not least on the basis she knows she won’t win the head to head vote.

Another made up #jambafact. By all accounts she couldn’t take the pressure from the right wing press who were pro May; so she cracked.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    Thats democracy, eh?

well no, it’s not.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good news – we dont have a BSer as PM. Some sanity is returning. and if rumours are correct no cabinet place for Gove. Please, now kill Bojo with kindness and give him health. That will further kill his aspirations.

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Why would that be in a manifesto? The referendum was the pledge – and that was honoured. There are various options that now need to be considered and negotiated. By definition, they cant be details on the form – that’s one of the problems ie, it is going to take considerable time for all of this to be negotiated. FA to do with the manifesto though or with democratic/non-democratic debate.

It’s got everything to do with it, they have no mandate to do as they please going forward.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 357 total)

The topic ‘Cameron resigns – which goon will replace him?’ is closed to new replies.