Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)
  • Cameras
  • lodious
    Free Member

Some people are weirdly snobby about them for some reason

I can’t understand it either…they are a big help in getting good composition for stuff at low level….anybody who takes pictures of kids for example, the shots look so much better shot from low level, rather than looking down.

Rich_s

That’s interesting lodius – if only cos it means the 550d will come down in price soon or there’ll be some run out 500d’s around…

theyEye
    Free Member

Does anyone use a Pentax?
    The K-7 is talked about as well built and weather-resistant, which appeals. But the 2 lens kit is two thirds more expensive than the Olympus E-620…

donsimon
    Free Member

Wasn’t saying you were being snobby about them btw – have just seen lots of people on Talk Photography dismissing them as a gimmick without ever having used one.

I didn’t even relate the snobby comment to the flip screen. I know I often only think about how kit will work for me and not the bigger picture.
    The guy whose camera I was playing with mainly works in video and is used to this type of flexible viewfinder and is both impressed with the viewfinder and the video quality. For my photography I don’t think it would be useful, for my bones, yes!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Does anyone use a Pentax?
    The K-7 is talked about as well built and weather-resistant, which appeals. But the 2 lens kit is two thirds more expensive than the Olympus E-620…

The k7 has the same sensor as the a55, a580 and d7000, so worth comparing them too (although the pentax is the only weather sealed one AFAIK).

But… other than sensor size there’s not much to choose between the e-620 and the k7: DXO

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m hoping Nikon will bring out a full-frame FX DSLR that’s reasonably compact, and doesn’t cost a fortune like the D-700, which is a huge great lump.

something like an FM2 in dijical form would be absolutely perfect…

_tom_
    Free Member

I really want my own camera again soon, had a 350D which was great. I have a 7D which I use at work and love it. Want something a bit more compact for personal use though. Not sure if I really need the video modes though but still tempted by a 550D as I’ve heard it’s basically a budget 7D but without the dust/splash protection.

molgrips
    Free Member

From what I’ve read the Olympus seems very interesting and excellent value, but have been somewhat put off by comments of poor performance at higher ISOs, 800 up

The pixel peeper websites do comment on that, but there didn’t seem much practical to be much difference on the sample images I saw. I usually don’t go above ISO800 since that’s how far the camera goes on auto. I only used higher ISO on one occasion I think, taking pictures of my daughter inside a castle with cool light streaming in through the window (but dark overall) and I printed it out 8×10 ish and gave it to my mum in a frame. Nuff said.

Flip out screens are fab I reckon and one of the main criteria I had when choosing a camera. Not only good for low down macro but also candid photography. You can position the screen and hold the camera out at arm’s length pointing sideways to get to see someone’s profile/face without them seeing you, or not til it’s too late. I have also got some lovely family Christmas type shots by standing on a chair and holding the camera high in the corner of the ceiling at arm’s length with the screen pointing down to frame the shot. Simple, but I really love the shots becase they totally capture the atmos.

But… other than sensor size there’s not much to choose between the e-620 and the k7

What about lenses? Great lenses for really quite cheap seems to be a feature of Oly.

nedrapier

I quite fancy an LX5. And maybe a gopro for an upcoming special holiday.

lodious
    Free Member

still tempted by a 550D as I’ve heard it’s basically a budget 7D but without the dust/splash protection

Don’t think the AF is quite as good on the 550D either. The dpreview of the 550 covers the differences…

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/

IA

I’m hoping Nikon will bring out a full-frame FX DSLR that’s reasonably compact, and doesn’t cost a fortune like the D-700, which is a huge great lump.

something like an FM2 in dijical form would be absolutely perfect…

That’d be ace.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why d’you want full frame?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Full-frame (FX) sensor = focal length of my current lenses is unaffected; larger sensor = better quality pics.

The small sensor size is what’s put me off buying a DSLR. It’s a compromise over the 36x24mm 35mm film/FX sensor size. The 1.5x increase in a lens’ focal length means a lovely wide 24mm becomes a not too exciting 36mm lens, necessitating further lens purchases.

I always said I’d only go dijical once dijical completely matched film. The FX size sensor is what marks that moment. I just can’t afford a bloody D700, nor do I want to lug such a monster about everywhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

The 1.5x increase in a lens’ focal length means a lovely wide 24mm becomes a not too exciting 36mm lens, necessitating further lens purchases

Swings and roundabouts. You get better zoom capability.

Course I didn’t have a film legacy so I am using lenses redesigned purely for digital.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Swings and roundabouts. You get better zoom capability.

Not really. That’s just pixel density. Crop an image from my a900 in half and you get pretty much the same resolution image as my olympus.

The only real downside (other than cost) from FF is body and lens size.

molgrips
    Free Member

Eh? Wouldn’t the a900 have to have twice the mp of the Oly for that to be the case?

Anyway I was talking about Elf’s case – if you are retrofitting 35mm lenses onto a DSLR yes your wide angle lenses would get narrower but your zoom lenses would get more zoomy.

IA

Full frame for crazy high iso possibilities, and being able to use old nikon wides as per Elfin. E.g. already got a nikon 20mm – a panasonic 7-14 is about £800 to get the same FoV on my G1.

The only real downside (other than cost) from FF is body and lens size

Well, if you don’t need telephotos there’s always the M9, the cost becomes an even bigger downside mind!

stumpy01

footflaps – Member
    I just bought a Nikon D7000 body and boy is it fast compared to my old D80 – blisteringly quick…

Don’t say that!! No way I can afford to replace my D80 just yet!

At the moment I am close to buying a flash – probably gonna get the SB-700. Just waiting to see how much spare cash I should have at the end of the month.
    Also want a macro – probably around the 90mm-105 mark, and at the moment the Tamron 90mm is looking like a contender. Not sure where the money for that is coming from….

Or the money for a ‘take everywhere’ compact too. Something that’s small but with decent manual control & handling. Aaaarrgghh! Need a lotto win!

In terms of what I’ll be taking pics of this year….need to get back on it but hoping to do some ‘macro’ tinkering and experimenting with the flash once I get it. Also use the flash for some ‘riding’ pics with mates.
    Other half bought me a Wild Arena voucher for Chrimbo so I think I’ll be doing a Big Cat day with that somewhere.
    And I want to get to more car/bike racing events this year; definitely BTCC, but also some classic car stuff and perhaps BSB….

5thElefant
    Free Member

Eh? Wouldn’t the a900 have to have twice the mp of the Oly for that to be the case?

Exactly that. 24mp vs 12mp.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Leica M9? Isn’t that about eighty-five thousand pounds or something mad? 😯

Full frame ’35mm’ sized sensors is the natural evolution for dijical cams. Everything up ’til now has been a compromise.

5thElefant
    Free Member
    zokes
    Free Member

Well, having just bought a car, it’ll probably be a while before I buy any more camera gear. That said, I did treat myself to a very nice Gitzo tripod over xmas, which has probably saved as much weight in my kit bag as two new lenses. Now which ones should I get…..

Last lens was a 18mm f/3.5 Olympus OM Zuiko, which now lives on the front of my Canon 5D MkII most of the time – amazing lens for the (andmittedly not cheap) price.

Oh, pre-edit: At some point I’m rather hoping Warehouse Express finally get my filters in, so I guess that’s £100 or so I am comitted to spending in the future.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone need a 52mm UV filter? I’ve ended up with two.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Oh no… it was going so well and you go and mention UV filters 😉

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Canon 500D, great camera………& a UV filter. 😉

IA

Just keep it to replace the first one once you make a mess of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps I’ll hold it in the smoke from a fire to make an ND filter.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually whilst we’re at it, anyone want an old Pentax full manual film camera? Mint condition?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes please.

s
    Free Member

There was talk, ten years back, so I guss its not going to happen 😉 of a 35mm digtal cassette which would replace a film in a 35mm film camera.

Guess its not a runner for a number of reasons.

But the idea was neat & I still have a mint Nikon F2 which I refuse to part with, up in my loft just in case 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Elf, I asked you if you wanted it before and you went quiet.

Terms and conditions?

_tom_
    Free Member

Anyone had experience with a Panasonic GH2? Philip Bloom is always raving about them. Apparently the AF is really quick due to some kind of processing I don’t understand, and supposedly they’re excellent for video – seems like an ideal bike camera if the AF is as good as he says. Oh and it has touch-screen focus for doing focus pulls if that takes your fancy, a lot easier than messing around with the focus ring on a lens.

If I had the money I would probably take the plunge and get one!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf, I asked you if you wanted it before and you went quiet.

Oh yeah forgot. Was that when you were wrong over a ‘Ti’ dijical cam? 😀

Terms and conditions?

You give to me it; I am grateful.

No?

a 35mm digtal cassette which would replace a film in a 35mm film camera.

I would love something like this. A dijical back for old cams. Ooohhh…

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, it was when I was wrong. Glad you remember it, doesn’t happen often 😉

I think last time I suggested I give it to you in person, perhaps involving a ride.. but that’s not so easy now. In any case it’s back at my house where I won’t be for a while so we still could…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh. Are you living in Germany now?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, til August.

jamesca
    Free Member

A sony 18-250 lens for my a300 and maybe some 35mm fast(ish) prime if funds allow

Conqueror
    Free Member

This deal (E-620) is insane IMO, yes its ebay blah blah.. but take a look

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-OLYMPUS-E620-SLR-CAMERA-2-LENS-14-42-40-150mm-E-620-/110649691057?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item19c33c4bb1

I’ve used the flippy screen on my G1 – I think it’s a great feature and wish it was on more ‘pro’ level cameras. It’s great for using with a tripod low down for instance. I reckon it would be particularly useful for video

IIRC the flagship Oly – Olympus E-5 has both weather sealing and flip out screen

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse5/

Would you buy the K7 instead of the K5 though? Might be worth getting the K7 to invest the difference in Glass. The low light capability of the K5 though seems pretty hard to beat.

Glass is probably more important than bodies though.

This looks interesting can anyone give me a grand to buy it? 😆

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

I really want a wide for my camera (G1) but cant bring myself to spend the money on the 7-14mm Panasonic. Yeah the 9-18mm Olympus looks decent, but those extra 2mm can be amazing in some of the shots I’ve seen.

molgrips
    Free Member

Holy crap that is an amazing deal. Does have flip-out screen and fully articulated too not just up and down.

Yes, not weatherproofed, but so I gather only those new Pentax ones are weatherproof at sensible (ie sub grand) prices.

That fujifilm – fixed focal length lens? Not interchangeable?

Conqueror
    Free Member

Indeed, its a fixed lens compact but with a more beastly sensor

Fujifilm has closely studied the current line-up of professional cameras and feels that there is a strong need for a compact high-quality (APS-C based) camera as a counterpoint to an SLR.

Inevitably people will compare it to a m43 Olympus/Panasonic camera with the Panasonic 20mm mounted.

But Snot quite the same 🙂 . The Fuji is smaller, better sensor, different dials, built in hybrid VF. The bad point being the price. Some people are saying Panasonic should of made a compact like this though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Cameras’ is closed to new replies.