Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Calling all DT SWISS 240s Riders!
  • wm4wm4
    Free Member

Hi there,

I’ve had a pair of DT Swiss 240s wheels for over a year now and i’ve never really got to grips with the freehub sound. It has a nice loud buzz, however it crescendos and diminuendos through one rotation. I bought the wheels handbuilt from Merlin Cycles.

Any one else experienced this? Should i be worried?

I thought it might have something to do with their patented ratchet design but now i’m beginning to wonder…

Thanks

tegski
    Free Member

I have noticed the same thing on my Anthem 29er with the DT/Giant hub.
    Pulled it apart a couple of times and re-greased after very muddy 24hr races. After clean and grease it gets quieter then gradually louder as the grease moves away from the teeth (I presume).
    I just use it as a warning system for other riders/walkers that I am approaching!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Yip, same here! I have them on three different bikes and it happens on all but one. I’m sure there must be a technical reason… Harmonics? DTs are nothing like as bad as Chris Kings for it though!

oxnop
    Free Member

I have a 440 rear hub (same internals as 240 but oversized) and mine does exactly the same. Not sure why but like yourself it got me thinking. Glad others experience the same.

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Thanks guys, that all seems re-assuring!

Does anyone think it is worth cramming it full of grease? If so would standard Lithium grease do?

Cheers

nostoc
    Free Member

The dt grease they supply is much runnier than standard grease. I have read about people using gun grease as an alternative – google it.

Leon
    Free Member

I can no longer get my freehub body off, but I just dribble finish line wet into it, and it seems to work ok.

Must be 6 or 7 years of hard use on a cross bike and counting. Still on the original bearings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Calling all DT SWISS 240s Riders!’ is closed to new replies.