Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 234 total)
  • Calibre Bossnut – Potential problem
  • prawny

Not yet no, was going to chase Mike up today but did’t get chance. It’s been very quiet for the last 4 weeks, not sure how long air frieght should take.

sam1newbold
    Free Member

I’d have thought it should really be sorted by now or at least you know what’s happening. My bike has been back at the shop for two weeks and there still ‘trying’ to get an answer from Mike…

prawny

Sorry, meant to update the thread yesterday, had am email from Mike apologising for the delay and saying the frame should be with the shop mid next week.

We shall see.

bikemadevs
    Free Member

Hi Prawny, I have the same problem and the shop just says pump the shock up??
    How do I contact Mike Sanderson?

jbridges
    Free Member

I had the same problem with a shop telling me there was nothing wrong. Luckily I tried another shop and they sorted it for me. The issue is pretty widely known now so it’s surprising some shops are still doing this. You could try showing them this tweet from Calibre Bikes themselves that mentions the issue and that it is covered under warranty. There was another mention of the problem from MBR magazine seen here. I’ve no idea what issue this was in but it might be an idea to buy one and show them.
    Hope you get it sorted.

bikemadevs
    Free Member

Cheers jbridges, I’ll let you know how it goes after visiting the store this weekend

sam1newbold
    Free Member

The thing is we would all probably agree that apart from this issue it’s a great bike but the aftercare on this issue is pretty terrible. Everyone who bought one of these should have been personally contacted. I makes me question go outdoors and Calibre in the future

sam1newbold
    Free Member
    stayhigh

The seat tube linkage will be a one piece design – which not only stiffens up the back end for more aggressive riding, but allows increased clearance for bigger rear tyres.

The seat tube as a result is slightly kinked to cater for the new linkage design.

Looks like they maybe addressing the issue for the next run?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like that’ll help th OP.

3 months down the line and still waiting? Refund for sure.

jbridges
    Free Member

Only just had chance to check my replacement frame. In the end they ended up giving me the “new” version of the frame because of how long the replacement was taking to arrive. The replacement has the exact same problem which suggests it’s more than just a few bikes that have been affected as go outdoors claim.
    Has anybody else got a replacement that’s fixed the issue yet?

nairnster
    Free Member

New version as in the 2017 frame?

jbridges
    Free Member

No it’s not the new frame design that was posted by sam1newbold. I was told the replacement I have been given is the same frame design as it has always been apart from a new lick of paint seen here.

prawny

Still nothing here. Should have been here mid last week, will drop Mike an email tomorrow. Not too fussed at the moment, as I’ve been too tired/I’ll/busy to go out on the MTB anyway but still.

Not bothered about getting a refund, there’s nothing better I could get instead, good things come to those who wait I hope, so I’m expecting something epic.

sam1newbold
    Free Member

Hi Prawny

Anything to report this week?

Sam

dirkpitt74

Just noticed this posted up on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtb.enthusiasts/permalink/1809885562560114/

Be careful if you decided to ride big drops with the shock bottoming out.

bikemadevs
    Free Member

Hi Prawny, my replacement frame has arrived in the shop and should be swapped over this week, hopefully I won’t have the same problem with this one.

prawny

Yep mine too, dropped it into the store yesterday. Fingers crossed this one will be fine, not sure I like the new colour as much, but I wasn’t massively fussed on the old one so no great loss.

That pic above is a terrible photoshop job, you can see where the front wheel has been cloned over. Nice try though.

jbridges
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s a photoshop, here are more photos of it.

Hope you get it sorted. They fit the new colour of the frame for me and it had the same problem.

prawny

Oh yeah, on closer inspection it’s a fern that looks like cropping. I stand corrected.

That’s well borked, wonder how hard they were pushing it.

superstu
    Free Member

Eeek

calibrebikes
    Free Member

HI Guys,

I’ve only just been made aware of this feed:

The QC issue is a result of the front shock mount being welded 1 -1.5mm further forward (towards the head tube) than it should, we’ve had around 15 bikes returned from thousands sold. The issue has been rectified at the factory and anything from here on in will not be affected. The fixes I have are: 1.) I have a small number of replacement frames, but some of these were damaged in transit so I’m waiting for some more. 2.) I have offset bushes, these will move the rear shock back to the correct position and is an easy fix.

stores are aware of the issue and will be able to help you.

once again sorry for this, and as i’ve said it really is a small batch issue and the buzz is just that and will not stop you mid ride etc.

Best regards,
    Mike

SirHC

2.) I have offset bushes, these will move the rear shock back to the correct position and is an easy fix.

What stops the offset bush naturally rotating in the frame? (And making the problem far worse)

buckster
    Free Member

What does an offset bush look like before and in situ?

calibrebikes
    Free Member

@ Sir HC The suspension forces keep the bushing rotated in the correct position. The shock is always under compression when in use which keeps it in position. It’s a non-issue 🙂

@buckster we’ll get you these images, but this has been checked and it fixes the issue 100%

rainbird
    Free Member

Ref: Photos a few posts above.

Those were taken last Saturday at Cann Woods near Plymouth. They’re completely legit – I was following the rider (a friendly chap I’d just met) down one of the smaller lines when the bike failed on landing a ~2.5′ drop into a mild downslope. The owner has been in touch with the local Go Outdoors store and initial impressions seem to be that they’re sorting him out.

Not a great bit of design work, unfortunately. The shock seems to have bottomed out and extended the wrong way, if you will, forcing it further into the downtube. At the same time, the rear wheel has somehow flexed around the saddle and well and truly wedged itself to one side of the seat tube.

Hope you guys get sorted soon. Good to see a response from Calibre Bikes.

chrispianlee
    Free Member

As my rear tyre touched the frame when the rear shock bottomed out, I contacted the Cardiff store; who informed me its a 1 in 15 medium frames problem. I dropped my bike off to them yesterday morning and picked it up yesterday evening with a brand new 2017 frame on it. Cant fault their service tbh. I will check the frame doesn’t touch the rear tyre this evening and give it a blast on the weekend, but I expect the problem will be sorted now :o)

SirHC

@ Sir HC The suspension forces keep the bushing rotated in the correct position. The shock is always under compression when in use which keeps it in position. It’s a non-issue

The force on the bushing will actually cause it to flip round in use and given that this can cause failure which results in the tyre contacting the seattube, I’d be wary of relying on clamping forces alone to stop the bushing rotating, it should be mechanically keyed in place (Scott/Trek/Etc, use a flip chip and don’t use a simple offset bushing, as they know it will rotate in use)

The original use for offset shock bushings was to slacken the headangle, the offset holes being positioned to effectively lengthen the shock. The forces being fed through the offset bushings would keep them position correctly.

bikemadevs
    Free Member

Unfortunately, Go Outdoors rang yesterday to say that the replacement frame has a big paint chip on the head tube so they will need to order a new one. I guess that was what Mikes post was referring too. Hopefully I won’t have to wait too long for the replacement and hopefully it will be a 2017 frame as it looks to be stiffer with bigger tyre clearance especially as I’d like to fit a bigger mud tyre for the gloopy months.

scotroutes

Are there any photos of the 2017 production models?

chrispianlee
    Free Member

I’l post a photo tomorrow. The frame is supposed to be 10mm longer with bigger tyre clearance.

buckster
    Free Member

This is quite revealing, looks good to me

Calibre Bossnut 2017 Prototype | Bike Check

andysredmini
    Free Member

That’s the second collapsed Bossnut I have seen now. No way would i trust one if it wont even survive small 2 1/2 foot drops. It wouldn’t last 5 minutes round here. I have an anthem that takes more abuse than that and that’s an xc bike. The pictures on the gooutdoors quite clearly show the bike being used on a jump but it doesn’t sound like it can actually cope with it. I think I would be getting my money back and buying something more suitable.

dumbbot
    Free Member

I see a few people raising issues with the fork yoke clearance as well, is that just a thing with the sektor forks?

I’d been tempted to get the bossnut on a cycle to work, but these recent issue are making me think …not.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Are there any further photos from the other side of that failure.

It looks like a failure at the seat tube where the linkages attach from the suspension arm. Judging from the shock still being attached to the arm itself. I can’t see the seat tube itself though from the angles given.

Interested because I’m getting to the stage where I’m hitting drops not much smaller than that and trying harder on the jumps, first time at 417 Project @ Gloucester last Sunday etc. so I’d rather this didn’t happen to mine 😮

chrispianlee
    Free Member

Lets not forget this is a 130mm travel bike i.e trail bike, not an enduro 160mm or downhill 200mm or freeride bike. I have done little 2-4ft jumps and drops on the Bossnut with the faulty frame and the bike was fine. A mate of mine recently cracked a Lapierre Zesty frame….
    I use my 160mm Giant Reign for gnarlier trails and bigger features. If ya looking to hit DH and freeride trails and hit big features, get a downhill or freeride bike.

chestrockwell

Eh? Any 130mm bike I’ve had has been more than capable of taking a bashing. Maybe not a DH course under a decent DH rider but pretty much anything up to that point. Nothing described on this thread should worry any MTB.

nairnster
    Free Member

With regards the fork clearance, I have a 2.4 high roller 2 on 26 mm ID rims on a Sektor no problem.

chrispianlee
    Free Member

The new 2017 Bossnut frame and the rear tyre does not touch the frame…
    Right click on the image and select view image

prawny

Just picked up frame number three, still touching.

Getting a bit miffed now. It’s a 25 mile round trip to my nearest store, and I’ve had to do it 6 times.

It’s a blooming nice bike to ride, but I’m starting to lose the faith.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘Calibre Bossnut – Potential problem’ is closed to new replies.