Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cairngorms riding – recommendations please
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

We’re hoping to head up to the Cairngorms for a week in May and want to do some natural riding and some hiking/climbing. Any recommendations on the best places to ride and to camp? Also thinking of possibly doing a day trip to Golspie, is it worth it from there? Thanks

poly
    Free Member

You are probably going to need to provide more info. What’s your idea of a good ride, possibly skill and fitness levels. Are you wanting a ‘base camp’ or to link together lots of days and camp each night lugging your gear.

Golspie is good – but its not ‘natural trials’. Its perfectly doable in a day from Aviemore, but I would take some convincing that its the best way to spend your time given there is excellent riding on your doorstep that you have not explored.

lexiekay
    Free Member

Thanks – I think we’d rather be based in one place/campsite, and either ride directly from there or drive a short distance. Rides would be ideally about 4-5 hours. Fitness level – not too bad, can both ride upwards of 50km in a day without too much problem. Skills – both of us are capable riders, both enjoy natural xc and also more downhill oriented stuff having spent the last four summers in the Alps.

jimster
    Free Member

Have a look on here, we were up in Newtonmore last september and had no-end of riding both natural and trail centre – Wolftrax Laggan just down the road too boot!! 😀

Bothy Bikes were in Rothiemurchas (sp?) atm, but I think they’ve moved, someone will be along to guide you shortly.

druidh
    Free Member

Bothy Bikes are now in the Dalfaber estate – at the North end of Aviemore. It’s signposted.

Ewan
    Free Member

Make sure you do some natural stuff – laggan is quite good for a trail centre, but there is so much good riding there. We did a circumnavigation of the park last May. This track was one of the best trails i’ve done in the UK.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=299782&Y=782347&A=Y&Z=120

Photo of said trail – perfect rocky singletrack.

IMG_6302.jpg by Ewan Panter, on Flickr

flyingmm

Hi Ewan, I can’t seem to se your route on the map if I zoom out – can you help?

trekstar
    Free Member

Nice write up of the Carn Ban Mor route over here

http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1065

Ewan
    Free Member

flyingmm – not a route – there should be an arrow pointing at a dashed black line – that’s the singletrack.

I do have a route, but it’s over 100km long…

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

When are you heading up lexiekay?

I’m off up to the Cairngorms May BH and am looking to do some riding. Ive got the Kenny Wilson and V Graphics Guidebooks so intended to pick something tasty out of one of those. Although I’ve not made any plans as yet.

Will watch this post with interest to see what is recommended.

hambl90
    Free Member

theres an article in wmb this month with routes around ballater , went walking up there last year. teres also a campsite on the edge of town with a good bike shop in the town, ballater would make a good base i think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms riding – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.