Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • C2C On Road
  • clwydrider
    Free Member

Sorry, probably not the right forum but…….
    Doing the C2C next Sunday to help my brother in law raise money for his karate groups trip to the World Champs. The original idea was to do the Sustrans route from Workington to Sunderland. A combination of a lack of training and a twinge in my knee has led me to think that I may be beter sticking all on road avoiding the railway tracks so that I can use my best road bike and leave the tourer at home. Also I don’t want to knacker my knee for SSUK next week!
    Anyone got a decent route? Googlemaps says it can be done in 102mle useing either the A595/A69 or the A66, are these roads alright on a Sunday?
    Thanks

Cooroo
    Free Member

I would avoid the major roads. Get a map of the Sustrans route (from them – it covers the whole route). You’ll be able to work out road alternatives to the tracks.

The route is designed to be quiet, attractive and fun to ride. The major roads would be hours of hell with risk of death. I’d stick to the Sustrans as far as possible. Lots of people were riding it on roadbikes (hell, I even met one on the old coach road!), but I can’t vouch as to their quality. It will add to the distance a bit.

That said, you might find tourer and tracks ok. It really is a VERY EASY RIDE, apart from some long slog hills in the middle. If you’re used to ‘proper’ biking, it’s a doddle.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Did it only last week, 3 of us on cross bikes fitted with 28s and a mate on a Cannondale road bike with 23s, no bother at all on any aspect of this ride.

I’d follow the little Blue signs all the way from Workington to Sunderland, you’ll enjoy it.

One part aside, dont do any of the off road sections in Whinlatter, just head up the pass road and down the other side to Braithwaite and then pick up the signs again.

Cooroo
    Free Member

If you start in Workington, you don’t do Whinlatter anyway! But Wythrop Woods descent on a road bike would not be fun, so perhaps crossing to the other start route would be best option. It’s not hard to find road alternatives if you have their map.

clwydrider
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I’ll see if I can squeeze 25’s on the best bike for the ride, I’ve always got the tourer in the van if it’s dirty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘C2C On Road’ is closed to new replies.