Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • "By 2019 no new Volvo cars will be sold without an electric motor"
  • Drac

I’m awaiting delivery of my new car, due September, it’s the Hybrid Golf moving away from diesel after many years with one. As I have electricity in the house I can even in charge it at home.

GrahamS

I have electricity in the house

Oh how the other half live.

Kamakazie

I don’t understand why people think the only charging solution is on street.
    As has already been stated, we could have a situation where you can pop into a refuelling station for a quick battery change.

It’s not like people fill up their diesel/petrol cars at home at the moment is it…

Drac

Oh how the other half live.

Well it’s how we roll in the North.

squirrelking
    Free Member

we could have a situation where you can pop into a refuelling station for a quick battery change

Emphasis being on could. Nobody has yet found anything viable that could fulfil this idea. Unless you go with fuel cells.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Emphasis being on could. Nobody has yet found anything viable that could fulfil this idea. Unless you go with fuel cells.

Or use the electricity to make hydrogen out of water and then burn hydrogen in some kind of ‘internal combustion engine’ from which the emmisions would be water. So hydrogen is the energy storage medium. (That may be bollocks – I’m not a chemist.)

GrahamS

Hydrogen. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh yeah.

maxtorque

Hurry up you ICEosaurs, there’s a meteor coming!

Here’s mine:

(with bonus extra carbon fibre on-one too….)

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hydrogen is considered safer than petrol, it burns hotter but much faster and doesn’t spread about the place.

It can be run in an internal combustion engine but fuel cells are better.

Drac

Who crashed into the front of your car?

outofbreath
    Free Member

It can be run in an internal combustion engine but fuel cells are better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell

Ahhh, fuel cells *are* hydrogen! As you were, nothing to see here.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Hydrogen. What could possibly go wrong?

I’m not sure an airship full of petrol would have been a rip-roaring success.

brakes
    Free Member

people like personal freedom and to ‘own’ stuff

people need to change their behaviour. and if they won’t they need to be compromised so that they have to change their behaviour.

andyg1966

How long before “ElectricGate” or “HybridGate” ?

jimjam
    Free Member

outofbreath

Self drive cars are a bit like Fusion power it’s been ‘just about to happen’ for ages but never actually arrives.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuhbqcMzOaw[/video]

outofbreath
    Free Member
    kerley
    Free Member

people need to change their behaviour. and if they won’t they need to be compromised so that they have to change their behaviour.

Nice approach. If going down that avenue would be better to do it on more important things than cars though

GrahamS

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s[/video]

winston
    Free Member

‘like’ for Maxtorque

Its very clear which way the direction of travel is going. In a very short time we have moved away from owning cars to renting them through PCH – and the most enthusastic take up has been from the younger generation. They want new shiny stuff and they want it changed frequently. They want the latest tech and rarely do they care how it works. I can’t think of a more perfect environment for EV’s to flourish.

As for ‘self driving’ I’m sure it will be here quicker than we think or indeed want.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have a hybrid and wouldn’t go back to purely diesel or petrol.

Our second car in the future will probably be full electric.

Is that because it’s more eco? No not at, they just drive better and are cheaper to own.

Personally I don’t think electric is the answer, it’s just shifting the limelight from nasty nasty combustion engines to amazing clean cars (so we keep buying them)

Charging simply cannot work on a national basis. The only way I can see it working is if you go to the petrol/battery station where they swap out your battery pack for another charged one. Can you imagine car companies all agreeing to a one size/shape battery !??!

So for now I’ll keep driving my hybrid for the selfish advantages it gives me, eco is certainly not one of them IMO

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

People filming themselves using Teslas “autopilot” are exactly why these driver assist system are a terrible idea.

It is NOT a driverless car. Everyone seems to think it is. This has killed at least 2 people so far.

Even the company that made the systems in Tesla car said so
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-16/tesla-says-mobileye-tried-to-block-its-auto-vision-capability

BTW – i work on driver assist stuff – none of it’s being tested properly, ONLY trust Google on this, they are the only ones doing it properly and the only company refusing to release partial solutions, FULL autonomy only

winston
    Free Member

And you can put me down for one of these!
    Slightly faster than my Leaf

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFQEprzslRQ[/video]

sbob
    Free Member

Wake me up when my liability as a car user transfers to the manufacturer.
    💡

marcus
    Free Member

We’ve had a hybrid golf for about a year now. I cant imagine us ever going back to a conventional petrol / diesel.

GrahamS

the only company refusing to release partial solutions, FULL autonomy only

There is an argument for that – but there is also an argument that people just aren’t ready for full autonomy so you have to sneak up on it slowly, step-by-iterative-step so as not to scare them:

power steering
    automatic transmission
    cruise control
    auto wipers
    auto lights
    auto handbrake
    adaptive cruise control
    steering by wire
    built-in satnav
    lane departure warning
    built-in satnav with live traffic updates and re-routing
    auto emergency braking
    parking cameras
    parking cameras with overlays
    autonomous parking
    driver assist cruise control

outofbreath
    Free Member

Wake me up when my liability as a car user transfers to the manufacturer.

That’s exactly where I am on this. The day I can read or sleep on my way to work I’ll be happy. If I’ve got to be awake & looking I might as well be operating the car. IMHO.

there is also an argument that people just aren’t ready for full autonomy

You reckon? I think full autonomy is the only point where it becomes viable.

Edukator
    Free Member

I used to be enthusiastic about cars, passionate even. Then I gave up competition and overnight driving became a chore. Saturation maybe. Anyhow, thirty years after last racing my local Renault dealer lent me a Zoe while the petrol machine was in for service and it made me smile.

As I pootled around in it I started calculating if it would do the trips I wanted to. The further I went the bigger the smile and the higher the range on the display (the previous user must have had a lead right foot). I took it home and got Madame to have a go. She liked it too, we ordered one.

dannybgoode

The environmental damage of mining, manufacturing and ultimately disposing of lithium battery packs is huge and the explotation of the miners pretty deplorable.

But that’s ok because in the UK we don’t have to (in the short term at least) worry about these things. We can feel all warm and fuzzy that we’re only destroying environments thousands of miles away and not our own.

Electric cars are not a long term solution for this reason. They have a huge global environmental impact which is not sustainable imo.

winston
    Free Member

cars are not a long term solution for this reason. They have a huge global environmental impact which is not sustainable imo.

dannybgoode

cars are not a long term solution for this reason. They have a huge global environmental impact which is not sustainable imo.

Fair…

outofbreath
    Free Member

Without a car how would I move my bike around?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No tag?

I iz disappoint.

paton
    Free Member

Volvo have said they will continue production of existing models.
    New models will be electric.
    But no announcement of any new models.
    Today there was no news.

CountZero

Wow, the clearly city/urban-centric point of view of so many here, who seem to have the usual townie attitude that the countryside is just the place where they can go to play with their expensive toys, then retreat back to the all-encompassing luxuries or their comfy urban lifestyles.
    How very bloody patronising and condescending!
    Christ, it’s often difficult to find a conventional filling station after a certain time of night, there’s nothing between Bristol and Chippenham on the A420 after around 11pm, for example, which is roughly thirty miles, a great many people live and work in small villages well off the main routes, with zero access to public transport, in many villages there’s only on-street parking well away from residents homes, so any kind of plug-in electric car is a non-starter; for example a former work colleague lives in a small cottage at the top of a narrow footpath, his car is parked on the main road through the village wherever he can find a space, which might be a hundred yards away! Many local villages, like Biddestone, don’t even have street lights, let alone somewhere to plug in a car, because the houses are either well away from from the road, or there’s nowhere to park a car nearby, so what the actual **** are all those millions of people supposed to do?
    👿

Drac

Oooh! Get him.

RichPenny
    Free Member

To be fair, they don’t make a substantial economic contribution so does it really matter?

Drac

The beauty of charge points is they’re open regardless of the time of the day.

GrahamS

Blimey Zero, chill out.

Those millions will continue to support the market demand for petrol-driven vehicles which will presumably still be made due to the billions of people in similar situations.

(And for the record it’s hardly a metropolis here either despite your weirdly presumptive accusations)

wilburt
    Free Member

Threads like this in the past have had half a dozen negative nancies arguing against electric using ever more extreme scenarios as example of why it’ll never work.

Now theres just CZ like a Japanese soldier lost in the forest still fighting a war long lost.

andytherocketeer

The beauty of charge points is they’re open regardless of the time of the day.

erm except my nearest aforementioned local one, that’s only open during office hours when the reception desk is open.

I should dangle a cable from the 4th floor of my apartment (there’s a power socket on the balcony), and more than double the amount of city centre charging capability here. Apparently charging costs are virtually free, so won’t cost me much more than the price of a 25m extension cord.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘"By 2019 no new Volvo cars will be sold without an electric motor"’ is closed to new replies.