Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Buying specs online your oppinions please
  • RustyMac

Getting my eyes tested at the end of the week and will have been looking to get new frames. Previously I have just gone to Vision Express and taken the hit on the price.

This time I am thinking of looking elsewhere as it would seem my choice of frames (Oakley Evade) and my very square eyes is going to make things pretty pricy this time round.

Do any of you have any experience of using online places for prescription glasses?

A very quick search has brought up this store http://www.metsuki.com/ but I know nothing about them or getting glasses online.

Thanks

Rusty

mcboo
    Free Member

I just got some nice prescription sunglasses from http://www.eyewearbrands.com/ who are very good.

Also http://www.irisoptical.co.uk/ who do have some stores in London but are basically an online glasses maker.

If you know what you want it makes sense price wise.

stevomcd
    Free Member

My decision was a no-brainer last time.

Local optician – new frames & lenses: €360

On-line – same frames, actually slightly better lenses: €120

I’d be happy to pay a premium for fitting, aftercare, etc., etc., but 300%?

b0leyngr0und
    Free Member

I’ve got my last two Oakley specs (first was an evade) through http://www.london-eyewear.co.uk/ – not the fastest service but quality of lens is good and price is also good

ourmaninthenorth

I’m happy to pay the premium because my optician is, to use the vernacular, a MILF.

SaxonRider

I just got dinged at Vision Express, and feel totally swindoled. I went because I needed a new prescription and it was the only local place that had any frames I liked.

The thing is, there are many frames that I like when I see them on the rack, but that end up looking terrible on.

How do these online sellers deal with that?

lb77

I’ve used Metsuki.com in the past with no issues. Tried frames on the high street, then just ordered online. Arrived within days.
    Last order though I went back to Boots as I get 50% off frames and the lenses through my contact lense subscription 🙂

RustyMac

The thing is, there are many frames that I like when I see them on the rack, but that end up looking terrible on.

How do these online sellers deal with that?

Don’t know how the online places deal with it but i have tried the frames on and like them so don’t think i’ll have that problem, what is concerning me at the moment is the £400+ it is gonna cost for the frames and lenses for me.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Fit and style are so personal I just couldn’t wack out even £120 unless was certain that they fitted and looked good/ok. What’s the point on having a cheap pair of glasses that feel awful or look crap, they’re on the front of your face for most of the day.

On the other hand if you find the pair you want in the shop and online then fill yer boots.

orange_c
    Free Member

Well you could do what I did and note down the framenumbers and make when you try them at the optician and and search for online sellers. Or take someone with you and get them to photo you with a phone saying that you want to get an opinion from your wife/ gran/dog and make sure they get the frame details in the photo. Also online opticians will post frames out to you (you have to pay) and then refund once you return them.

Online opticians can also establish fit of you send them your current glasses – they need to establish the centre point of your vision (called pupillary distance or PD). You can also get someone else to measure this – websites should explain how to do this.

I saved about £150 by buying glasses on line. 6 months later, 2 yr old son pulled the arm off….. Current glasses are from specsavers and were £100 including super thin lenses so they are not all entirely ripping you off.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’ve bought online and they were great for the price.

My last pair came from specsavers, i get my contact lenses there so they were half price.
    The thing that amazed me was when they said they would be ready that afternoon! They have a lab in store and as long as the lenses are in stock they’re ready same day. They were loads cheaper than vision express who use this as a unique selling point and an excuse to charge rediculous prices.

aP
    Free Member

I wouldn’t but then my prescription is ‘quite strong’ and the positioning of the lens centres is quite critical.
    I also like supporting independent bricks and mortar businesses.

RustyMac

It is not that i don’t want to support a bricks and mortar buisness, the shop i use is a big chain, i just want to get the best deal possible.

JulianA
    Free Member

Sorry no experience of buying glasses on line, but VisionDirect save us a fortune on contact lenses, so hope that buying glasses on line will do the same for you!

UncleFred
    Free Member

It is not that i don’t want to support a bricks and mortar buisness, the shop i use is a big chain, i just want to get the best deal possible.

The majority of Specsavers stores are a type of Franchise, so you would be supporting a local business by buying from them.

CountZero

I can wholeheartedly recommend these people: http://www.simplyspecs.biz/
    I recently had a pair of glasses made up using a RayBan Lennon frame I picked up cheap from eBay. They put in multi-point varifocal polarised lenses with Drivewear photoreactive tint and multi layer AR coating. Not cheap lenses, but stunning quality, cost around £225.
    I’ve just picked up a pair of really nice Bausch & Lombe sunnies from the states from eBay for $44, perfect frames but badly scratched lenses, so I went in and asked how much new plain tinted lenses would be in a dark brown tint; £20, or £40 with the AR coating. Ready next Tuesday.
    Oh, and they do prescription Oakley, too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Buying specs online your oppinions please’ is closed to new replies.