Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Buying car tyres and getting them fitted
  • eskay

Anyone buy tyres online and then get them fitted locally? Is much of a saving to be had?

burko73

Black circles just did mine. Buy online, book appt with one of their local fitters and drive in, tyres fitted, drive off. Super simple and very good service and prices.

Prior to this I’ve bought online and had them fitted locally as the tyre fitter guy locally is a mate of a mate who works on my van. He’s not chuffed doing it and it’s a bit of a big ask really. He charged about £20 for 4 tyres but I paid cash. It’s prob too cheap that by the time he gets rid of the old ones etc. Thats why I went for the route above this time. Didn’t want to take thepi## but still got a good buy.

cbike
    Free Member

Nope.

2 garages and a 50 mile round trip. Unable to balance a van tyre as no adapter. Blackcirclesripoffand wasteyourtime.com

Northwind

Overall blackcircles worked out barely any more expensive than buying the same tyres from the cheapest online supplier, then getting my friendly garage to fit them… So I figured sod it and went with the 1-click option, worth it for an easy life.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

It will vary massively depending on what tyres you are getting, how much your local garage charges for fitting them and whether your local garage are any good.

Last 3 sets I have bought have all been from Camskill and fitted by my local garage I have used for the last 10 years. Each time I’ve saved myself significant amount of cash versus what the fitted price was quoted as anywhere else.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nope.

2 garages and a 50 mile round trip. Unable to balance a van tyre as no adapter. Blackcirclesripoffand wasteyourtime.com

What size wheel does your van run ? Only time ive heard of this issue was on 35″ special traks!

molgrips
    Free Member

The tyre market seems to be a maelstrom of discounts, special offers, overstock, understock and pricing strategies. So basically decide what you want and go with the place that has it. A particular tyre will be randomly cheaper or more expensive online depending on what stock they or your local place have.

lodious
    Free Member

I used tyreleader (ship from Europe) for my last pair, saved £50per tyre over black circles etc. Local garage fitted them for a tenner per tyre. Defo do it again.

stumpy01

I get mine from Camskill and get my local garage that does all my servicing to fit them. I think they charge £10/tyre (+VAT).

Depends on if you know somewhere that will fit them, I think. Previously I rang around a few places and they quoted stupid high amounts just to fit tyres, so it obviously wasn’t worth there while.

The Matador MP46’s I fit to my Ibiza from Camskill are great tyres; as good as any of the premium brands I have used before, as well as brands like Kumho & Hankook. They last well, grip well and are averagely quiet. They cost something like £112 a pair delivered for 205/45/16.

Hohum
    Free Member

I used Tesco Tyres last time and had them fitted locally.

I think they were Michelin tyres and they were offering 4 times tesco points with them and given that we normally exchange the tesco vouchers at Pizza Express it was the equivalent of £250 of vouchers.

porter_jamie

I bought my own tyre machine and balancer. Luckily a friend of mine is one of the biggest tyre machine servicers in the country so spares are not an issue. I just stocked up on stick on and knock on weights and valves and so on . There are some tyre bargains to be had on ebay.

chewkw
    Free Member

porter_jamie – Member

I bought my own tyre machine and balancer.

You got one! 😯

Pics please as I want to see it.

😆

willej

I’ve used Pneus Online for my last two sets of tyres and had them fitted by a local (8 miles away) fitter. I do this mainly because you can easily get the tyres you want, not just what the fitter had got at the time.

Not the same but I’ve also used etyres before, they’re fairly cheap and you get the convenience of them coming to you to fit them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pot luck AFAIC, Black Circles have never given me a decent price. Asda Tyres quoted a good price for the wife’s car but then the local garage that tested it gave a better price to supply & fit so I’ll see them 1st next time.

Also used a local mobile fitter who came to the door that was pretty competative.

addy6402

I’ve recently used tyresonthedrive who fitted (inc balancing and disposal) a full set of tyres at my home for less than I could purchase them from the usual online suppliers….might be worth a look.

luke
    Free Member

Prices vary from £5-20 per corner from research I conducted last year when I was in the industry.

The guys at tyresonthedrive are great we used to use them when we needed a job to be completed onetime and with what we had asked or when we were in the poo after being let down by other suppliers.

sbob
    Free Member

I use my local Just Tyres.
    They don’t mind a bit of haggling and there isn’t an air gun in sight, only torque wrenches. 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

I used blackcircles for the last 8 years and they were always cheaper than anyone else for the tyres I wanted (Volvo V50). I checked around every time and blackcircles were tens of pounds cheaper and the local garages in their network (I used several, moved a few times) were all excellent. I would have no loyalty if the tyres I wanted were cheaper elsewhere, but they never were.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

I use camskill, really good prices.
    Brother in law is a tyre fitter with own van so he puts them on for me for a cup of tea!

ssbnreso
    Free Member

I use camskill, really good prices.
    Brother in law is a tyre fitter with own van so he puts them on for me for a cup of tea!

mark90
    Free Member

Just got a tyre for the missus car from our local place. Unroyal 15 quid cheaper than blackcircles and couple of quid less than cheapest known brands from blackcircles (Kuhmo and Falken). Camskill was cheapest online for the Uniroyal but still couple of quid more than going local. Asda online seemed to have some good prices in general.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Fitted a couple of rears recently…

Black Circles: £180 each inc. fitting
    Camskill + local fitter (whom I found via the black Circles website!): £130 each + £15 each fitting

…so a £70 saving for 2 tyres over Black Circles. Worth 10 mins online and a couple of phone calls.

mike_p
    Free Member

Event Tyres FTW, cheaper than Black Circles and fit them on your drive

nickewen
    Free Member

As above: depends on the tyres and also discounts various retailers have managed to get. I would ring around local tyre places close to work/home and get some prices. For the sake of a few quid being able to drive somewhere local to get it done wins everytime.

I was able to get some Bridgestone run flats cheaper locally than online.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Blackcircles worked for me.

Fitters were 100 yards up ‘road from where I work and ‘all-in’ were the cheapest price I could find.

I will use them again.

molgrips
    Free Member

Btw if you google search for a tyre and size it’ll search most of the online places for you.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I go to Martins Tyres and they are pretty much as cheap, or cheaper, than the onlines and that includes fitting/balancing – at least the last time I looked.

http://www.martins-tyres.co.uk/

Family business – in and out very quickly.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Buying car tyres and getting them fitted’ is closed to new replies.