Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Buying a car with highish mileage.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Looking at buying a new family car, much in depth consultation with my wife has led us to a Volvo XC90. Our budget will mean that the car will have higher miles than I’d really like (£11k and anywhere from 75-100 thousand miles). The cars seem fairly reliable and we don’t do too many miles ourselves so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem it just seems when it comes to the crunch I waver a bit. Anyone else had this dilemma? Tales of woe or joy? We’re moving on our two Citroens so can’t really be bothered with anymore garage visits which probably contributes to the trepidation.

stumpy01

How old are the 75-100k mile cars…?

It’s really not that high a mileage.
    Just make sure that if it needs things like cam belt etc. it’s been done.

Just got rid of my Ibiza at 274k miles and it was still going strong.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

we don’t do too many miles ourselves

hmmm?
    A diesel may not be the most appropriate solution for you then.

PePPeR

All the cars I buy are high mileage, with not many issues, you may want to check Honest John for issues with XC90’s as I’ve avoided buying one (even though I fancy one) due to drive train issues.

aracer
    Free Member

Get something with over 100k on – it seems to be a cut off point for a lot of people, so the cost falls off a cliff if it’s got more than that, whilst in reality there’s not that much difference between one with 110k miles and one of the same age with 80k (as always buy based on condition and service history, not mileage).

Bought mine with 120k on the clock and it was a lot cheaper than similar age cars I’d been looking at with 70-80k – not much more than half the price. Was just over 4yo so had been doing nearly 30k a year, which I assumed meant lots of motorway miles. Have now had it 3 and a half years and if I scrapped it tomorrow I’d still have done well – the only major expense has been the DMF/clutch, but then my understanding is that I’d have been as likely to have to change that if I’d bought one with less miles.

aracer
    Free Member

Depends what the availability is like – when I was looking, petrol versions of what I wanted were very thin on the ground. I have a diesel and my mileage is currently very low – not regretting it all things considered. I doubt you’ll find petrol hyper mile bargains.

nickjb
    Free Member

100k really isn’t that high. There’s a lot more to it than mileage anyway. I’ve seen some right dogs with low mileage because they don’t ever get a proper run or get looked after, and some cracking cars with big miles as they are often well looked after and have done easy miles.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed nick – mine isn’t the best ever (cosmetically it’s rubbish, but that doesn’t bother me) which was reflected in the price, but had a full main dealer history with a lot of stamps.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Service history is more important than mileage in my opinion. I have had several high mileage Volvos and provided the servicing has been done correctly (which can be pricey) then they troop on for years.

That said with the release of the new shape XC90 you should be able to pick up an old shape XC90 without mega miles on it for 11k.

Where in the country are you?

Volvo is one of the cars I would pay a small premium for a Volvo Selekt used car – if it has full volvo service history you get free road side assistance and other such perks.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Depends what the availability is like

This. I’ve been casually looking at what I may replace our Mazda 6 estate with in the next year or so and there’s hardly any petrols for sale of some models, across all brands.

And if you want to buy privately, you’ve pretty much no chance.

iamanobody
    Free Member

I’m looking at a Vovlo V70 with 100k mile son it 11 years old but in mint condition, FSH etc. Not worried in the slightest!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

@iamanobody

Which engine? Make sure the belts have been done and the PCV system cleaned as per the manufactures specs. They can get serious build up especially in the Turbo engines if not cleaned as per spec. This can lead to high oil usage in the long run and a sump off clean in the very long run if it goes too far.

iamanobody
    Free Member

2.4 d

aracer
    Free Member

Which is old with average mileage!

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I bought something with 98K miles on it, SUV 4×4 thingy. Perishables will need replacing much sooner, based on mine anyway.

1. Handbreak got stuck needed work and parts
    2. Suspension stuff
    3. Brake pipes corroding

Just waiting for whatever else is going to go wrong. Hyundai Santa fe 2010 reg so of a similar size, no idea about reliability vs a Volvo. .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Here’s what you need!

A nice Dakine tailgate cover and yer sorted, Enduroboy! 8)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Volvos are heavy on suspension components. Might as well accept that they are wear parts. Look at previous MOT’s for wear to suspension bushes and wishbones etc. Will solider on for years on worn ones before they get bad enough to fail MOT / warrant repair however they do drive nicer once done!

wallop

Bought my old Passat at 4 years old with 88k on the clock. It did me 3 years and another 35k and I sold it on for over £3k. Smashing car!

Sundayjumper

My wife wants an XC90, apparently because our B6 Passat isn’t big enough. Although I strongly suspect it’s because several of her friends have XC90s 😆

They do seem like decent cars though, so I’m not averse to the plan. I agree with the “condition not mileage” though, just from browsing Autotrader I’ve seen some low mileage ones that are clearly absolute dogs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Depends in how those miles where racked up, town vs motorway

I had a 2.7tdi Audi and at 120k it felt like it did when new. A car like an xc90 will not likley have been thrashed about. FWIW I think 75k is average/lowish miles really depending upon age

Rockape63
    Free Member

XC90’s are great cars, no question. My wife loved hers. For a family car they tick virtually every box, but due to the fact they are high spec, they will be costly if things start to fail.

Therefore its a bit of a gamble, you might get lucky …..and you might not! You just need to put some cash aside every month to prepare for the worst.

RustyNissanPrairie

I run a 140k mile V70 and it keeps my busy spanner wise, the wife wants an XC90 but I’m hoping to keep the V70 going as I dont want the hassle/complexity of the XC90.

Re the XC90;
    Avoid the T6 petrol – as the autobox is even worse than the diesel (and thats crap).
    Pull the autobox dipstick – if its black and has never been changed then walkaway. Doubly so if the car has a towbar fitted (should have the additional oil cooler fitted if a factory spec towbar).

Both cars are first gen canbus systems so are massively complex and not overly reliable from a systems point of view.

Do a google as I cant remember of the top of my head – but you can check for system faults using the fog lights/ignition switch position. It will have some logged even if the EML/message board doesnt say so.
    Make sure the radio/cd changer works.

On the V70 – check wishbones bushes & drop links, top strut bearings and especially the spring mounts (100k mile consumables), exhaust hangers (stainless exhaust but the hangers snap off), PCV valve&pipework, timing belt AND water pump @ 80k miles, handbrake mechanisms (and cables) are crap and need rebuilding every few years, caliper rubber boots split allowing trapped water/rusted pistons, eats (genuine volvo) discs due to weight and autobox.
    Gearbox is ‘sealed for life’ but generally die at 100k+ miles. Special oil is £180 for a flush. Alarm back up battery fails and is a £180 replacement (or pull fuse #11). Wheels corrode badly and become porous. Boot wiper motor seizes due to crap design (can be rebuilt providing main plastic gear doesn’t strip).

The good thing is that are comfy to drive and dont rust but they will keep your spanners busy or your wallet empty but they dont uphold the “last forever” image of previous generation Volvo’s

robdob
    Free Member

@RNP that’s true, I’ve got a “proper” Volvo, it’s done 180k miles and it is well known that for a B230 engine that’s “just run in nicely” 😉

And it’s rear wheel drive! Woohoo!

mattyfez

I love volvos.. But they are not cheap to fix or maintain, closer to BMW /audi costs than Ford /vauxhall, so bear that in mind.

If it’s fsh, cambelt done, then that millage is no big thing.. But look at the overall condition of the car, is it consistent with the mileage?

Don’t be expecting £50 replacement tyres on such a beast either.. When stuff wears or brakes, it will be pricey.

RustyNissanPrairie

Our V70 is a 2004/5 -second generation, it has the Old school Volvo DNA running though it but is spoilt by (crap) technology.

The Xc90’s are even worse technology/reliability wise. Just Google Asain Warner Aw55-50.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The M66 manual transmission however is pretty bomb proof.

Had 320bhp from a tuned 2.4 T5 on an M66 in an S60 FWD and it didn’t slip once. Good for 350-400bhp apparently.

I have no idea why you would buy an auto AWD vehicle anyway.

XC90 D5 (later 185bhp) AWD M66 Manual is the one. Tune to about 205bhp from stock as well.

Don’t be mistaken running cost wise they are aiming for the BMW/Mercedes/Audi market and dealer parts and servicing costs are similar.

However if you are willing to get you hands dirty and are reasonably capable they are nog the worst vehicles to work on and second hand / aftermarket parts are cheaper than the comparable BMW etc parts as the Volvo marque doesn’t seem to hold it’s value as well.

CHB

We have a 2005 model 163bhp. Bought it 6 years ago with 101,000 miles on it. Now on 139,000.
    The later 185bhp are better as they have a 6 speed box and the drive sleeve for the AWD power to rear wheels is not prone to corrosion.
    Our’s has been relatively problem free.
    I service myself and other than oil/filters and brakes the only jobs it’s needed in 6 years has been ATF-U fluid replacing and next week it is due to have new droplinks fitted.
    I think our next car will also be a Volvo as they age well and are nice to work on.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure you understand why people buy AWD vehicles (we had a thread on that recently 😉 )

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thanks all, looks like we will be going ahead with the XC90. Just need to find one now.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Buying a car with highish mileage.’ is closed to new replies.