• This topic has 19 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by P20.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Buyers Guide to the Best Mountain Bike Mudguards
  • Ben_Haworth

The best mountain bike mudguards keep filth out of your face and do it without shifting around or clogging up. That’s it.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Buyers Guide to the Best Mountain Bike Mudguards

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

vinnyeh

Not seeing much love for rear mudguards in the “guide to the best mountain bike mudguards”.

They’re the tricky ones, imo.

andyspaceman

Big Mudhuggers F&R, plus a Crud Catcher on the downtube. That just about makes the Hertfordshire winter clag tolerable.

ads678

I reckon these buyers guide, best of’s are just a review of the stuff we have laying around in the office.

Agree with above, front is easy, all of them work just depends how you want to fix them. Crud XL FTW IMO though…

Rear, SKS Mudrocker is great.

teethgrinder

Crud XL.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I reckon these buyers guide, best of’s are just a review of the stuff we have laying around in the office.

Or just some old reviews lashed together. How did the DFender make the list? I don’t think they’ve had any stock for years

bens
    Free Member

Any recommendations for ones which fit reverse arch forks?

The standard one supplied with my Mezzer isn’t really doing it for me.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

“Fender”
    WTF?

razorrazoo

I know it shouldn’t be important but Crud XL look awful, they also buzz the tyre on full compression.  Having tried quite a few most of the full size fenders work well, I prefer the Velcro fittings for easy on/off.  Now I have a Fox 38 I just run their guard, bolt on is best if it works for you.

teethgrinder

Crud XL does buzz, but linking the 2 halves together with a reuseable zip tie around the arch solved that.

It’s also easier to take off when putting the bike in the car boot than a bolted guard

Northwind

I’d have liked to see some crown mounted ones, I’m still using the ancient Shockboard and imo it’s better than the crown mounted guards.

“we’d claim were pretty much invented by Marsh Guards.”

Mucky Nutz had been selling theirs for at least 3 years before Jason Marsh stole the idea. Course, it wasn’t a new idea even then, people had been making diy versions for ages, but I think Mucky Nutz were the first to actually sell one.

benpinnick

RRP proguard rear. On the front… But to be fair any of the RRP guards plus a drill will work.

orena45

Mucky Nutz had been selling theirs for at least 3 years before Jason Marsh stole the idea. Course, it wasn’t a new idea even then, people had been making diy versions for ages, but I think Mucky Nutz were the first to actually sell one

Yeah, I thought I recall Mucky Nutz being the first also.

doomanic

Crud XL is the best I’ve used and is no uglier than any of the others and significantly less ugly than that pug-ugly DFender monstrosity. Cheaper too.

northernsoul

I use the Ass Savers Mudder on my Manitou Machete and Marvel forks – works really well for me (and I had to try a few before I found one I was happy with).

ajantom

Why no Crud XL?
    Best front guard I’ve used bay far, and it easily swaps between bikes, so you don’t need to needlessly buy multiple products.
    Works equally well on ‘normal’ suspension forks, reverse arch forks and rigid forks.

mtbfix

Crud XL would be better if there was a seal guard. Nice and easy on and off though.

bikesandboots

The Mudhugger Evo has the recess for crown clearance at full compression. Solved the issue I had with the RRP ProGuard and RockShox Pike of there being a bang at near full compression.

Olly
    Free Member

I remember when any self respectimng mountain biker wouldnt be seen dead with a mudguard.
    Same for saddle bags.

Fickle bunch

P20

Mudhugger or RRP for a Reba 29er, non boost?

I’ve ridden with the shorter Marsh style guards for years, but after the last ride out I’m after something with more coverage.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.