Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Buyer has found a dent
  • DanW
    Free Member

Is the dent the big scratch by the A on the downtube? Looks pretty clear on the pic let alone a casual inspection. Rather than dent…. Deep scratch? 🙂

Stevelol
    Free Member

Man, you are way too soft. Nice guys finish last and all that.

JEngledow
    Free Member

OP you are too soft

Probably 🙄

Is the dent the big scratch by the A on the downtube? Looks pretty clear on the pic let alone a casual inspection. Rather than dent…. Deep scratch?

That’s the one, but “on closer inspection it is actually dented”, I’ll have a proper look once I get it back and will see if I can get a photo of it!

bedfordrd

what if you don’t think it is a dent? Tell the buyer to come and collect it again? Inspect together?

wwaswas

not wishing to cast aspersions but check there’s no damage that wasn’t there when you sold it…

DanW
    Free Member

Yes, and if it is the mark I mentioned then it is very obvious from the photos… and about 10m away by the looks of it!

Despite never wanting a buyer to be unhappy this is clearly a case of realising he probably spent a bit too much money and has had second thoughts. That mark is plain for all to see and not hidden at all so I’d like to change my stance to kindly informing the buyer to stop being a chancer 😀

enfht
    Free Member

+1 Lengthy inspection before accepting return.

toppers3933
    Free Member

He’s either realised he’d spent too much or he’s ridden it and doesn’t like it. Either way the op is a bit of a mug very generous for giving him his money back. Never has ‘sold as seen’ been more applicable.

tomhoward

OP, you appear to have sold a bike to stevie wonder.

100% buyers remorse. Not your problem. Care to name and shame the user?

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Such a bad decision to take it back; for all you know he could have drained all the oil out the shock/fork just to be an arse. You ride it / sell it / whatever. It breaks. Then what?!

I know that is elaborate but the point I’m making is Caveat Emptor exists for a reason and, with all due respect, you are both daft for buying/selling/accepting back goods that have been exchanged.

I know there is the argument of doing the right thing, but you did that before you took his money; you gave them ample chance to view and inspect the bike. Not only do you have the backing of everyone on here to keep the money and let the issue go, but you also have the backing of the courts.

It isn’t like the bike doesn’t work or ‘owt; it’s only a scratch!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Now we all know you’ve got a dented bike and you have probably lost a few hundred quid off a sale when you absolutely didn’t have to. I wouldn’t have replied, I wouldn’t have posted a thread on here and I’d have had that cash tucked away happy that you sold a bike to a guy who was more than happy with it after a nice thorough check.

I had a nutcase give me grief after selling a bike because he found a loose spoke and he decided the lacquer over the paint was more scuffed than he thought, on a bike described as used and a face-face sale with tonnes of time to check it. He moaned the BB needed replaced too, which it didn’t. I agreed to send £20 for a new BB and that was that.

Seller beware, there are plenty psycho buyers out there.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Now we all know you’ve got a dented bike and you have probably lost a few hundred quid off a sale when you absolutely didn’t have to.

I’m not too worried about who on here knows it’s got a very small dent in it, although I’ve used the free classifieds this isn’t somewhere I’m really expecting to find a buyer for a DH bike, besides most people would expect this type of minor damage to a 5 year old DH bike.

I get the point that I’m probably being a mug etc, but I did advertise as dent free and apparently its not so I’ll stand by it. Other than a bit of a nuisance I’ve not really lost anything as I’m confident I’ll find a different buyer (with a slightly edited advert) who’ll pay the same money (provided the bike is as I sold it which I’ll check thoroughly).

I don’t think the buyer is trying to scam me or anything, but his expectations are far too high as he wants a new bike for a second hand price!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

An admirable stance, OP

Rorschach
    Free Member

(writes down a lot of names for the ‘never buy off classifieds’ list.)

tomhoward

(writes down a lot of names for the ‘never sell to on classifieds’ list.)

taxi25
    Free Member

I hope my names on it Rorschach, because if your the type of buyer who examines something for 30 mins, decides its all good, but later change your mind and want your money back !!!
    Well I don’t want you within a 100 miles of anything I might be selling.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Fair play JEngledow, you sound like a very decent person. Kudos to you.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Well, I would have told him he was welcome to wee on his own shoes, but instead, it seems like Mr indecisive is weeing on yours.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Taxi…your name is already on a list for something entirely different.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

JEngelow – you’re not soft. The vast majority of people on here told you to tell the buyer to jog on. However, that didn’t change your mind and you stuck to your own convictions. Good on yer….

chakaping
    Free Member

Indeed, he said no dents and there was a dent.

Buyer may be a fanny but he’s right in a way.

smatkins1
    Free Member

This could be the sneakiest way every of building up some interest in a for sale advert on the main forum 😉 . Put’s those ‘what’s it worth’ posts to shame.

Maybe there was no disgruntled buyer. But you’ve suddenly used the minor flaw in the bike which otherwise passed a ’30min inspection’ to make people think… it’s not that bad and he sounds like a super honest bloke, I’d give him £x for that. You’re possibly one smart cookie DanW.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The vast majority of people on here told you to tell the buyer to jog on.

Yeh. The UK would be a better place with more people like the OP. Everyone just looks after themselves these days. You’re a revolutionary; one of the “Corbyn Class” – we need people like you to change society for the better.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Everyone’s wrong, so everything’s fine.

😆

My favourite quote so far of the day.

DanW
    Free Member

You’re possibly one smart cookie DanW

Am I? 😆 What have I done? Have I missed something? 😀 It’s not my bike if that’s what you were thinking 😕

mcj78
    Free Member

Fair play for accepting a return – although it from the photos it looks more like a “dink” than a “dent” – could have got off on a technicality 😉

JEngledow
    Free Member

This could be the sneakiest way every of building up some interest in a for sale advert on the main forum

Unfortunately I’m not that clever 😐

retro83
    Free Member

This could be the sneakiest way every of building up some interest in a for sale advert on the main forum

Interesting sales tactic since we now all know it has a dented frame 😀

markcurtains
    Free Member

Also remember OP, for those calling you a mug, it’s a lot of keyboard bravado from others telling you ho they’d have done it better than you.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’d suspect that if the boot was on the other foot that lot of the ‘tough luck’ posters would be on here crying foul play at the top of their voices 😕

tomhoward

You’d suspect that if the boot was on the other foot that lot of the ‘tough luck’ posters would be on here crying foul play at the top of their voices

Really?

I took half an hour checking over a bike and was happy but now I’ve got it home I’ve noticed there’s a huge great scratch in the down tube. Can I get my money back?’

jam-bo

What did he spend half an hour looking at if he missed that?

yossarian
    Free Member

What did he spend half an hour looking at if he missed that?

Perhaps the OP has great cleavage

thegreatape
    Free Member

Perhaps the OP has great cleavage

So it is hora then?

I is confused…

sbob
    Free Member

The item wasn’t as described, the seller refunded.
    That’s how it works.

nwill1
    Free Member

I think your crazy…that’s the first thing I would have seen on that frame and checked it out, given the scratch/dent etc I would have walked away or discussed further discount. He accepted it after seeing it, buyers remorse.

He’s laughing all the way to the bank “what was I doing buying that bike for that price…can’t believe he took it back!”

tomhoward

An advert isn’t a binding contract, esp if the buyer views and goes ahead anyway. Not that distance selling regs apply anyway, as it’s a private sale. If it wasn’t as described, he shouldn’t have bought it.

If the buyer had any nouse, he’d have used the ‘dent’ to negotiate a better price. Which it sounds like he did.

Speaking of which, OP, take £500 for your 5 year old DH bike with a dented downtube?

JEngledow
    Free Member

The bike is back and as promised this is the best pic I could get:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well that is a small dent and I can’t believe he missed it first time. I don’t have any experience of buying and selling second hand but these are mountain bikes we are talking about and they are supposed to be ridden with the inevitable crashes especially a DH bike

pete68
    Free Member

How did he not notice that?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Buyer has found a dent’ is closed to new replies.