Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Burma / Myanmar
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

Anyone been and care to share thoughts / experiences?

I’m off there in 10 days or so, getting excited. Have been doing a fair bit of reading, very interesting (sad) history.

chewkw
    Free Member

Plenty of nice gemstones if that’s your thing … 🙂

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Stunning country. Tragic history. People very welcoming but understandably frightened.

Visited in 1994. Rangoon, Bagan, Mamyo, Inle Lake.

The temples of Bagan live very long in the memory, as does the spotlit Shwedagon Pagoda.

flip
    Free Member

Lovely, managed to wander over the border for a few days in 1999 after too many Beer Lao 😳

I was a lucky boy have fun.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Stunning country. Tragic history. People very welcoming but understandably frightened.

You make it sound like Lancashire.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

You make it sound like Lancashire.

😀

bwaarp
    Free Member

If I ever go to Burma it’ll be with the Free Burma Rangers. I wouldn’t spend money to fund that despot country. Amered insurgent medical staff and doctors = awesome. These guys/girls are nails.

http://www.freeburmarangers.org/

diggers
    Free Member

I was there for 3 weeks in december, absolutely loved it. Yangon – Bagan – Inle – Ngapali – Sittwe (bit of a dump but necessary) – Mrauk U – Yangon. Probably my favourite place in SE Asia ahead of Laos.

Depending on time you could cut out Mrauk U which is totally different to Bagan without being quite as impressive. Flew around with Air Manadaly mainly, who very efficent and around $70-$120 a flight. I did 12+ hour bus journeys a decade ago in Vietnam and my back is in no state for that these days. Oh, you’ll be tucked up in bed for 10pm in most places and up at 5am with the morning prayers. Not a country to party in!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Burma Campaign – “It is impossible to visit Burma without funding the military dictatorship.

“Some people in the travel industry argue that tourists bring information from the outside world to the isolated local people, but what do we learn from the copies of Hello! magazine that they leave behind? If we talk about political things to tourists we risk being arrested. Only regime trained tourist guides are allowed to speak with tourists, and those tourist guides are told by the regime what to say to foreigners. As a Burmese citizen I personally didn’t experience the benefit of the tourism. The regime declared 1996 as ‘Visit Myanmar Year’ but in the same year there were some student protests in the Rangoon University and the universities were closed for several years. Even as the regime opened the doors to tourism they were still committing human rights abuses.

“Tourism helps fund the regime that oppresses us. A very small number of people make their living from tourism, and so of course they defend it, but all of us suffer from the regime that keeps us living in poverty and in fear. Three quarters of the population are farmers and these people are not benefiting from tourism industry. Luxury hotels import foreign goods for tourists instead of using local products. Tourists sit by swimming pools in hotels like those owned by Orient Express and pay five dollars for an imported can of coke. How do we benefit from that?

“The regime identified and promoted tourism as a source of foreign exchange, not as a way of providing jobs for the people. Front page articles in state owned newspapers talk about the importance of tourism to Burma, but they only mention foreign exchange, not employment for ordinary people. They need foreign dollars to buy the guns they use to rule over us. Not only does tourism fund the regime, tourist facilities have been built by forced labour. Ordinary Burmese people have been forcibly removed from their homes to clean-up areas for tourism.

“Some have tried to argue that the presence of tourists could help prevent human rights abuses, as the regime would not do certain things in front of tourists. But during the uprising last September, even before the crackdown, tourists were hiding in their hotels until they could get on the first flight out. Our people are struggling for freedom and democracy in our country.

“Tourists should think twice before they consider Burma as a tourist destination. How will their money be spent by the regime? Bear in mind that the regime spends around half its income on the military. This is the military that shoots at monks who are peacefully protesting. A military that uses rape as a weapon of war in its war of ethnic cleansing in the east of Burma, even raping girls as young as six. They torture, they assassinate, they mutilate and behead people. This is what your tourist dollars help pay for. By visiting Burma, tourists are not providing financial or moral support to us, instead they fund our oppressors. Stay away.”

duckman

“Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.”

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Bwaarp / duckman

I respect your opinions 100%, but having done my own reading and mulled it over, I have decided to go. I was aware this thread could turn into a “should I go to Burma” debate, but its not why I started it, and I won’t be starting a debate on why I think its acceptable
    Thanks,
    Nick

duckman

Hell, I wasn’t suggesting otherwise, I posted the Who lyric as the Burma Rangers, just look like paramilitaries themselves. I would go in a minute.

samuri
    Free Member

Maybe if you bring one of them back with you. They’ll be away from an oppressive regime and you’ll have someone to guard the house who can also patch you up when you fall off your bike.

duckman

Everyone’s a winner Samuri, I like it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what bwaarp said

southbeds
    Free Member

after Rangoon head for Mandalay and take the boat down the Irrawaddy to Bagan, use the buses or train you dont see nothing from the air,i stayed at the Motherland 11 in Rangoon,they have someone waiting at the airport ,and run you down to the the hotel in there people carrier. i never booked any hotel just used Lonely planet.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Burma / Myanmar’ is closed to new replies.