• This topic has 52 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Building a bike for £1500 is it possible?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

renton – Member
    Nobeerinthefridge….. Im as fit or as unfit as I was when I had the 5 spot?

Cool, rules that out then!.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Is now a good time to mention I have some Hope built wheels on Mavic XM719, just 2 months old for sale? I’m going skinny tyres for a while and splitting my bike. Yes they are 29er and looking for £250 posted.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whatever you do make sure that the frame is a 20″ rather than ‘large’, otherwise it’ll be too small.

And look at Alltricks for forks etc plus Merlin for groupsets.

Lots more to consider than just one simple measurement.

renton
    Free Member

Im really confused by the sizing thing…

The trance and five spot ett were near enough exactly the same.

the reach on the trance was loads more but yet I felt cramped on it and compared to the 5 spot the front end felt really low (it was around 5 -6 cm lower overall)

I guess due to having knackered wrists i prefer a more upright position but with lots of room in the top tube too and the trance didnt seem to offer me that?

Liking the look of the hammerhead thumper 29er frame.It looks to have roughly the same numbers as the 5 spot but in a newer 29er frame.

flee5
    Free Member

If you want a good start on parts I have a set of deore brakes with discs.slx derailleurs ,shifters and cassette and race face ride cranks and a set of wheels with tyres all from a 2014 orange 5 29 2014s if you want to check the spec all barely used. Brakes would probably need bleeding. You can have it all for 200 posted as I could do with them out of the way as I’m about to move house.

renton
    Free Member

flee5 please send some more info to my email in profile please !!

Stevierenton@hotmail.com

rickon
    Free Member

Liking the look of the hammerhead thumper 29er frame.It looks to have roughly the same numbers as the 5 spot Trance

legend
    Free Member

I take it having the commuter bike is helping you understand what’s comfortable?

bigrich

I would take a breather, not worry about components, and get a frame that fitted.

maybe shorter and more upright would take the strain off?

or a wrist support. you can get some pretty funky ones from a proper sports physiologist.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You sounds like the perfect candidate for a bike fit.

bigrich

You sounds like the perfect candidate for a bike fit.

a 1500 bike from a shop that fits will be better than a 1500 bargain from the internet you can’t ride.

renton
    Free Member

Commuter is fine. loving how much faster it is to ride!

br
    Free Member

Lots more to consider than just one simple measurement.

Yes I know, but based upon Renton’s history it’s a starting point.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Building a bike for £1500 is it possible?’ is closed to new replies.