Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Buggered Dyson, what to do..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Got a Dyson DC08, when I was putting a fireplace in I got fed up with the filter blacking so I just used it without filter for a week of heavy dust and fine rubble. Now the thing has sod all suction, can’t really afford to get a new one at £300 or so.

Where would be the best place to get it repaired, Dyson or a third party? Or just get a cheaper alternative brand vacuum..?

jota180
    Free Member

Buy the Dyson extended warranty

They’ll come out and replace all the bust bits

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a good check its not just blocked somewhere. Mine blocks various ducts and I have to dismantle it to unblock

coffeeking
    Free Member

Or just buy the replacement bits from the dyson website, they’re cheap enough.

But as TJ said, if you haven’t already, check for blockages as there’s dozens of places blockages occur if you’ve been sucking up industrial refuse.

JAG

Fix it yourself 😀

You can get parts quite cheaply and they are easy to fix – I even found instructions on some geezers website!

I swapped out the electric motor in our DC05 recently and it’s as good as new again and it only cost me £38 for the motor.

z1ppy
    jeff

+1 for the fixed price servicing – we got a new motor, power cord drum, turbo head, handle, and telescopic main “pipe” thing when we got ours fixed.

GrahamS

I swapped out the electric motor in our DC05 recently and it’s as good as new again and it only cost me £38 for the motor.

Likewise! Destroyed our DC05 by sucking up brick rubble. Dismantled it. Clean. New motor in. Good as new.

This site gives you full tear-down instructions: http://www.dysonmedic.com/

Dobbo

Bin it and buy a Henry.

nickf
    Free Member

Bin it and buy a Henry Miele.

I did this about six years back and have never missed the Dyson. Bags last for ages, and are very cheap on eBay, and the brush picks up dog hair that the Dyson could never have dreamed of.

BillMC

Buy a Vaxx, much better and much cheaper.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

+1 for new motor. easy to strip and replace. still not sure how after touting the brushless motor as ‘the future’ we still have old school carbon brushed motors in the new models? the warranty states that brick dust etc shouldn’t be ingested (or words to that effect)so not sure how the fixed price repair would work in that instance.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do this..

then this..

GrahamS

brush picks up dog hair that the Dyson could never have dreamed of

Judging by the reels of my missus’ golden locks that I found wrapped around the brush heads on the Dyson I think it would cope quite well with a dog.

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks again chaps, I am utterly incompetent so I’d probably best avoid trying to do it myself, no blockages that I can determine, might have a go of the fixed price servicing though..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Buggered Dyson, what to do..?’ is closed to new replies.