Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • budget laptop for gopro editing??
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Hi folks. I’m needing to purchase a new laptop and wanting one that can edit gopro footage as well.ive not got a huge budget- would probably consider a refurbished unit if it was suitable.only wanting to spend no more than 350.. I know that’s not a lot!

sandwicheater

Worth looking on the Dell site for reconditioned stuff.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Read a lot about possibly nearing an i7 processor.. do I? I think this looks like a good deal but it’s an i5..

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&key=h8mzvZMTkl50Ih%2bIZuXx6lIr2sNnimZ%2b&puid=dbb4e535

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’d be interested in the outcome of this thread too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was doing some go pro stuff in 1080 on my i5 inspiron with 8gb ram. Perfectly usable but much easier on the quad core desktop (even though the chip is older) with lots of hdd’s and ram.

Milkie
    Free Member

I would be looking for the following minimum specs:

i5/i7 Processor
    8gb RAM
    1TB HD(7,200rpm) – Preferably 1x SSD & 1x big drive
    Dedicated GFX Card (Not one that uses some of your RAM – & one that has CUDA Cores)
    15″ – 1080p Screen Resolution

It all depends on what you are editing, what program you are going to use and if you are going to add any effects or PiP.

turbo1397
    Free Member

It would just be the basic gopro.. 1080p usually on 30fps. Not going to be using any effects. Not sure what program to use.. what the easiest?!

P-Jay
    Free Member

GoPro studio is easy to use once you get used to it.

As for spec, my Laptop is getting on a bit now, it’s got a 3rd Gen i5 laptop specific processor (a whopping 1.7GHz) 8GB of RAM and a small SSD running Win10 and it tears through GoPro edits although I have to be careful with storage – I’ve only got 128GB so I tend to create them on the on-board and then move them onto my external drive when I’m done – I’ve got a USB3 external drive so it’s no big hassle.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Thank p-jay..at least I know an i5 sounds adequate. I usually do transfer it to an external drive. 🙂

turbo1397
    Free Member

Thinking Dell refurbs seem a good bet. This one looks like it would do the job.. would add another 4gb of ram..

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&key=h8mzvZMTkl50Ih%2bIZuXx6lIr2sNnimZ%2b&puid=93d48d4f

dannybgoode

Look at Laptops Direct. I’ve used them plenty and always been very good.

Recently got a recon HP i5 with 4gb 15″ for £280. Great laptop for the money…

turbo1397
    Free Member

OK. . Will do.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just in passing, look for one with a decent amount of ventilation, as opposed to a very slimline one, and you’ll export videos faster. Most laptops will start to slow down as they warm up.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Had a look at laptops direct and there seems like a fair amount of choice for the money. All with a years warranty.. will keep an eye on them. Thinking dell or HP as they seem to be fairly well thought of.

skids
    Free Member

HP are not fairly well thought of

turbo1397
    Free Member

OK. . What make is fairly well thought off? Thanks

allthegear
    Free Member

Before you spend the money on a laptop, what have you already got in the house? Any recent iPad is more than capable of editing GoPro footage and the iMovie software (only a few quid) is pretty good, too.

Rachel

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

HP are fine IMO. Not where I’d spend a lot of money, but for £350 I’d be looking at particular models as opposed to entire brands.

They do okay here and beat several otehr big names.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/hp-brand-rating

I agree with Rachel; if you’ve an iPad then try iMovie on that before spending money on something else.

If not, after 10 mins searching, I’d spend £365 on this Lenevo. That’s based on the specs and I’ve got a softspot for the brand. No idea about that retailer.

Cougar

CCL are well regarded I believe.

Milkie
    Free Member

I would spend an extra £120 and get this one:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X555UJ-XO070T-ASUS-X555UJ-XO070T_1829327.html
    It has a 2gb dedicated graphics card which comes in very handy with any video editing.

StuF

bookmarking for reference, as the misses came home with a gopro and has found out now our laptop doesn’t meet min spec of the gopro software 🙄

slight hijack, would a desktop be better for the job?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Big screen, cheaper to put the grunt into it, nice mouse and keyboard. Way prefer it to using the laptop.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Absolutely. Far more power for the money and if something does break, you replace a component whereas most people just throw the laptop into the bottom of a wardrobe and buy another.

I’d also suggest getting the monitor second hand. Prices plummet and if you’re not fussed then spend the rest of the budget on other components.

Using a proper mouse and keyboard also makes it far easier IMO.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘budget laptop for gopro editing??’ is closed to new replies.