Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bucks riders – trail advice please…
  • IvanDobski
    Free Member

Working near Amersham for a while and I’m looking to bring the bike down.

Are Aston Hill and Lotts Wood work a visit or does anyone have any recommended routes which don’t require loading the bike into the car?

cheers,

soobalias
    Free Member

DH – go to Aston Hill

or

XC – lots of riding locally, Ive not visited the Lotts Wood loop this year, but think the racing has moved, so the trails could have been killed with winter forestry work.

Squirrel

If you want to hook up with some local rides try Summit MTB or go to the Cycle Care LBS in High Wycombe. I think they might have a link with Dees Cycles in Amersham, but I’m not sure.

If you would rather do your own lonesome thang, there are quite a few bridleways around Amersham which are good when dry but ‘orrible right now after the rain.

You could try riding south-east on the A413 towards the Chalfonts (try to pick a “quiet” time), then right into Bottom House Farm Lane. Follow this uphill to Hodgemoor Wood where there are some surfaced (for horses but good for mtb’s) and unsurfaced trails. Then head west through Penn Bottom to Common Wood where there are more (gravel) surfaced trails which hold up well in the wet. Go north from there (thru Penn Wood if you’re feeling cheeky 😉 although there is a bridleway too) and drop down the bridleway to Little Missenden (good pubs). Then up the hill on the other side of the valley and make your way back to Amersham.

You really need an OS!

Murray

Lotts Wood has had a lot of trees removed. They’re trying to return it to native species. The logging has comprehensively destroyed the trails and I don’t think that Summit are going to re-instate them. Great shame as I live 5 minutes away (if anyone’s got plans to work on the trails I’m in!). Aston Hill Cross Country loop is fine but Slippery When Wet. Happy to meet up for a ride when you’re down.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ll have a look at those areas. Went to buy the appropriate os map today but no joy, I’ll pick one up this weekend.

Murray, thanks for the offer – I’ll drop you an email in a couple of weeks once I’ve got my bike sorted.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bucks riders – trail advice please…’ is closed to new replies.