Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • BT Infinity
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Infinity has just become available in my area. I currently have a wireless setup that uses antena’s mounted on the roof, it’s slow at 3mb and very unreliable.

Infinity seems to be the business, any points of caution i should know about ? I can get 48mb downloads and would go with the unlimited option.

tommyhine

I’ve just moved from rubbish sky 3mb to 40mb bt infinity, works a treat, router is top dog, massive improvement in quality, service ans speed.

Tom83

Got mine going in sept 5th.

phead
    Free Member

Only caveat is that you need power near the master socket, or wiring good enough to move the master elsewhere. With older houses having the master in the hall, that can need a little alteration.

Also at 48 its unlikely to be worth paying for 80 over 40/10.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I wouldn’t sign up for one reason…..

Those bloody annoying adverts….

What about Virgin Media? I’ve just joined them and I’m up to 30mb/s from 2.5mb/s on the old BT land line

almightydutch
    Free Member

Love mine, its bonkers 77 meg down 18 meg up. Anything is quick!!!

supertacky
    Free Member

Rapid download of pretty much anything. Virgin can match the speed but try to tie you into loads of other unwanted services that cost you loads.
    I’m totally sold on Infinity.

Agreed that the adverts a pretty poor but that shouldnt be a reason to not buy a superb product.

Offroading
    Free Member

I’m not in a virgin cable area apparently so it’s BT or BT for me.

How accurate at BT’s speed estimates ? Says up to 48mb will i get close to that ?

DickBarton

Cheeky Bugger complaining about 3mb…on a very very good day I get 1mb but those tend to be weeks apart…so take your showboating and ram it up your broadband!

If I had the choice I’d be on infinity as it looks the business.

beamers

Proceed with caution.

I jumped at the opportunity to go across to Infinity “when it became available in my area”.

It transpired that it wasn’t in fact available, although BT were quick to sign me up to it despite the couple of months that it took to actually get it up and working. Equally frustrating was when after it had been working for a couple of weeks they randomly cut me off, citing that an order had been raised to terminate my service.

Its working fine now, and I managed to get my money back for the time whenI had no service whatsoever.

When I finally stop moving house every couple of years (BT have screwed up every move) I will transfer to Virgin Media.

I’m sure the OP might be be fine, although BT’s mind blowing incompetence at what should be their core business is quite a common theme on STW.

kimbers

lovin mine
    very fast
    never drops out
    router is very reliable and wifi even reaches the bottom of the garden !

Offroading
    Free Member

Ordered ! Setup is next Thursday :mrgreen:

Looking forward to sending the letter to my current ISP telling them they can ram the service.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Mine is amazing

bruneep

Due to get FTTC next month,cant get full blown cable 😥 hope its gonna be worth the extra.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

to sending the letter to my current ISP telling them they can ram the service

Did you not sort of mention that when you got your MAC code?

Mine offered me alsorts to stay. A new router, unlimited download limits, lower price.

“Can you offer 20Mb speed?”

“No.”

Infinity has been great for me; I’d recommend it highly to anyone.

ericemel
    Free Member

I have had it for about a year. Insanely fast 75mb down and 20mb up – I am switching and have to move to Virgin 40mb – gutted!

IA

Trying to decide if moving to Infinity is worth the extra coin (be about £16 a month) over my current good (unlimited) adsl2 package, as I’m about to move house.

Thinking no, as there’s just two of us in the house, but might need a new router anyway, which will be £60-£120 for something decent.

Any thoughts?

molgrips
    Free Member

The website says my exchange is ‘accepting orders’. What does actually mean?

Oh.. hang on.. it seems my exchange is enabled, but there’s some other issue.. I’m guessing it’s cabling to my area and street..

IA

You need the exchange to support it, and the cabinet in your street. FTTC stands for fibre to the cabinet.

Oh, and I guess what I’m really asking with the above is do you find the extra speed beneficial at home? I know what a fast connection feels like, I’ve had use of a (measured, actual) 180Mbps connection at work.

molgrips
    Free Member

Does Infinity put fibre to your actual house then? Or just to the cabinet?

We just cancelled Sky, realising that we could get much more of what we’d actually like to watch online, with some pay services, for less money than Sky charge.

However we need a decent connection to make this work, which we don’t really have currently. Probably don’t need 80Mb/s but 5 or so would be nice.

nedrapier

Moving house next week so I’ve been doing a bit of shopping around. Was keen to look at Virgin’s comptetion, especially as they were so sticky when I tried to cancel the contract at the present house. Putting in pending jobs at the next job I’d have to cancel if I didn’t want it etc.

Eventually brushed her off, but got a call back from “loyalty” £23.50 a month for the life of the contract: 30MB, 70odd channels and a 1TB tivo box, free evening and weekend calls (Dad can’t hear me well on my mobile, and does go on a bit so that’s worth a few quid a month!) Free install.

Might not be 76MB, but the same package on BT with 76MB would be at about £41, plus the install charge.

I’m thinking 30MB will be plenty, not like I’m spending all day online gaming, but maybe it would be worth spending a little bit more for 76MB. Not £18/month, though.

Anyone managed to haggle with BT as a new customer?

kimbers

molgrips – Member
    Does Infinity put fibre to your actual house then? Or just to the cabinet?

dont think so, just up to the cabinet its mega expensive right into your house

i get 50 Mb/s minimum

nedrapier

If this is of interest to anyone, let me know and I can forward you an email. Not on offer from the people you usually speak to on the phone, the best the normal bods could do for this was £30ish

£23.50 a month for the life of the contract: 30MB, router, 70odd channels and a 1TB tivo box, free evening and weekend calls. Free install.

molgrips
    Free Member

sparkyrhino

My Infinity is great, its free.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

nedrapier – v interested in email info, sounds like a cracking deal. Though really only interested in the net connection, the other bits might sweeten the pill.

urbanhikeremail@gmail.com

nedrapier

UH – email sent.

“Virgin Offer – STW” from edn8 at hotmail if if you have to check your junkmail.

Offroading
    Free Member

Havent told my current ISP anything, whats a MAC code ?

Cougar

Migration Authorisation Code. It’s what you use to change providers.

You ask your current ISP for your MAC (it’s basically a big long number), then give this number to your new provider. Everything else should be automagic from there.

Offroading
    Free Member

Do i HAVE to do this ?

My current setup doesn’t use a phone line, it’s all done via antenna’s.

I have a box on my roof, which has a cable down to my router, i can plug anything into the router and it works.

damo2576
    Free Member

65mb down 15mb up here. Love it.

CHB

Just got Plusnet Fibre extra installed. 38meg down, but only 2meg up.
    Does FTTC get faster over the first week or so like ADSL does?

Cougar

“Only”? How much uploading are you doing?

CHB

Well only as in it should be “upto” 9meg.
    Surprising how handy it can be having a fast upload, Dropbox, photos, skype etc.

legend
    Free Member

If you want BT Infinity but don’t want to deal with BT, head to PlusNet. Owned by BT but with none of the shitty customer service/call centres

CHB

Yep, plusnet is what I just got.
    BT infinity, but with a Shefield call centre instead of Bangalore!
    Oh and cheaper than Bt too!

rewski
    Free Member

Very happy with BT Infinity, oh and when I spoke to customer services it was a lovely young chap from Newcastle.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Got BT Infinity installed today, Holy Crap!

Very Happy!

I had ADSL in the early days at 512kbps and thought that was good.

thejesmonddingo

Local exchange has just been upgraded to ADSL2+ should bump my speed from 6.5 meg to 17meg,yay.
    Ian
    P.S. I hate anyone who has access to Infinity,until I get it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘BT Infinity’ is closed to new replies.