Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Broken Joe Blow track pump, anyone?
  • munkster
    Free Member

So my Joe Blow track pump like this one has given up. I’ve not had it long but it was starting to sound a little “rattly” before finally stopping working.

It took me a while to get used to the way that when you attach it to the presta valve it didn’t always give an immediate reading (like my old one) but would do once you’ve started pumping and it’s released some sort of diaphragm mechanism I presume.

Now that presumed diaphragm mechanism no longer seems to work and you only ever seem to be pumping air into the space between the head and the valve but no further because when you release it, it has obviously built up quite a bit of pressure.

Anyone had this? Of course it would be great if I could find my Halfrauds receipt but alas no 🙁 (I needed a pump in a hurry hence Halfrauds).

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve had similar when the head of the valve has stuck, once unscrewed, I usually press it to make sure it’s free before attaching the pump to it. May be worth trying it with yours before you condemn your pump.
    Edit. I also get a similar thing with my Blackburn if I push the head on too far, as it seems to close the valve, pulling it back a touch gets it working again.

munkster
    Free Member

Nope, valve is definitely fine I’m afraid…

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’ve got a Joe Blow and it’s working well and not had any issues. If it breaks tomorrow I’m blaming you munkster

Northwind

If you end up replacing, I could do with a joe blow head/hose, give me a shout if you want to sell it 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

You can buy a replacement head or just clean or replace the rubber ring inside the head. Nothing in a pump is that complicated.

Dibbs
    Free Member
    belugabob
    Free Member

Northwind,

I have a Joe blow pump head going spare, because I replaced mine with one of these – http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/trk_jbxo01

It’s a bit scratched, but I’m pretty confident it works.

You can have it for the cost of postage.

Munster

I also suspect issues getting the valve/head to work in unison.
    The pump head is a little bulky and awkward to get into position, sometimes.
    Never had issues with the pump itself.

munkster
    Free Member

belugabob that upgrade looks just the ticket, I’ve never liked the “SmartHead” thing anyway so a screw-in option would be preferred. Cheers! And thanks to everyone else for assistance.

munkster
    Free Member

*sorry meant “TwinHead” – whatever comes as standard anyway.

monkeychild
    Free Member

My Joe Blow is about 10 years old and still going strong (you had best not have jinxed me)

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

I’m looking for a spare pump head as well, if there’s one going. 🙂

pdw
    Free Member

Once you’ve built up some pressure in the hose, give the head a little wiggle. The valve is opened by air pressure but I think the end of the valve can get stuck against the side of the head, and a little wiggle sorts it out.

munkster
    Free Member

OK, so I’ve fitted the new head as per belugabob’s suggestion (it’s a Nice Thing) but still no joy. Screw the head on, nothing, only a build up of pressure inside the head if try to pump up. Push the head towards the valve to make it press the presta nubbin and the handle on the pump pushes up with the pressure.

Do I need a new hose then or something??

bigrich

Tried it on other tubes? valves can get stuck

senorj

My joe blow is 15 years old. I have feelings for it.
    Check the fittings are all tight, especially the one near your feet.(on the pipe)
    Sometimes I give it a bit of silicon lube love.

kcal

I had a Joe Blow for ages, rebuilt it a couple of times, but eventually I and it gave up, and I got a Specialized one from the LBS. It’s ace ..

richardthird

Mine just died. Base fell off. Crappy screw thing. Cut head off and stuck it on a £15 Halfords body, tis fine.

belugabob
    Free Member

OK, so I’ve fitted the new head as per belugabob’s suggestion (it’s a Nice Thing) but still no joy. Screw the head on, nothing, only a build up of pressure inside the head if try to pump up. PuPushi the head towards the valve to make it press the presta nubbin and the handle on the pump pushes up with the pressure.
    Do I need a new hose then or something??

Did you unscrew and extend the end of the pump head, to put it in presta mode?
    Have you tried more than one inner tube – maybe a friend’s bike? I

fifeandy
    Free Member

Still sounds like a sticky valve. Both my Joe Blows do this (gave my old one to my dad).
    One seems to work much better when the valve is turned to the bottom of the wheel.
    The other generally gets 100psi in the head but then forces the valve open.
    As per earlier post, have always assumed it was some friction between the valve head and the sealing ring of the pump head.

munkster
    Free Member

Tried it on other tubes? valves can get stuck

Yep, four different tyres. Same thing on each.

Did you unscrew and extend the end of the pump head, to put it in presta mode?

Yep again! It doesn’t “lock” in the presta position does it?

No sticky valves…

I unscrewed the hose at the base and refitted, same thing.

It really feels like something is borked inside but what could it be, surely they’re simple inside? I don’t want to go buying more stuff (eg. a new hose, o-rings?) to fix it in vain…

munkster
    Free Member

Edit: just tried it on the schraeder commuter – screw it in, handle on pump comes up to unceremoniously thump me in the chest. Nice. What a POS!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Broken Joe Blow track pump, anyone?’ is closed to new replies.