Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Broken Eggbeater – tore pedal from spindle.
  • richcc
    Free Member

Managed to tear the pedal off the spindle of one of my Candy Cs today whilst giving it some off the lights. Looks like I've stripped the retaining nut off the spindle.

Could have been a bit nasty as I was overtaking a car off the lights and a bit exposed!

Anyone else done this to an eggy? Got 'em on two of my bikes and never had a problem until today

BigJohn

I thought it was normal for eggies.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I've done that to an old set of Mallets – well one to be precise.

jordie
    Free Member

that sounds about right

ScotlandTheScared

I knackered the spindle on my eggbeater ti's (my own fault – over-zealous tightening of the nut, not a failure during use). Sent them to 2pure and they installed new rebuild kit and new axles (both of them) and sent them back to me for £35. I thought that was pretty good value really.

Which side? I did the same to my right hand side candy today. You can have the left for gratis if you want.

(this is the 5th set of crank bros pedals I have trashed)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Selling a pair for £20 inc cleats if thats any use to you?

richcc
    Free Member

Lol at Marin_Maketh_The_Man – mine was the right one too – spooky!

racing ralph – thanks for the offer but bought a pair of pedals in CRC sale as I needed cleats so had a set in the toolbox.

sputnik
    Free Member

Mate of mine did this when we were doing a marathon in South Africa. Not funny cosidering he did over 80 miles with the pedal like that.

druidh
    Free Member

When's the last time you serviced them?

Del

i snapped the spindle in half on a set of candy sl.
    2pure did completely refurb them for free, to be fair.

oldgit
    Free Member

I've got a L&R spare spindle at home, though can't guarantee they'll be the correct ones.
    They must have been pretty worn in the first place i.e all the bushes worn and just being held on the nut.

2pure
    Free Member

Hi Rich,

Sorry to hear about this. Drop us an email to info@2pure.co.uk and we can sort you out.

Thanks
    ran@2pure

DWH
    Free Member

2Pure used to do free eggbeater servicing at the Merida 100's. I'm sure it was only their loving care and my weekly application of grease that kept my collection running so long. When 2Pure stopped turning up I binned six pairs and went back to SPDs. I've not had to service a pedal since.

Olly
    Free Member

i was out with a guy whose pedal came off on a sweping mountain road descent, and we were chasing a car who was "enjoying the road" and pretty much keeping up with him (until Sis pedal came off on his foot)

Oh how we laughed (well Si didnt, he was too busy weighing anchor)

I think its a "feature" of all CB pedals?

Maybe its what they mean when they say "lots of float"

?? 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

i'm getting some play in mine at the moment (eggies) – a sure sign that a rebuild is imminent…
    But, nobody seems to have any stock of the rebuild kits. anyone know if these are still available / know when they will be available??

JtotheP68
    Free Member

Question- Do Shimano or Time offer rebuild kits for their pedals?

Answer- No, because their pedals are properly designed and manufactured in the first place.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

thebikechain almost always has rebuild kits in stock.

Del

do a google for eggbeater bearings. there's a webpage someone has put up about complete disassembly, and it lists the bearing types. then buy from someone like smb bearings. the other bits are probably fine. at a very rough estimate i'd say you probably only need the kit for every second or third bearing change. buy nyloc nuts ( M5 IIRC ) though – they're not worth reusing and are easily and cheaply available.

Karinofnine

I love 'em but you gotta keep up with the servicing and change those bearings at the first sign of play.

monksie
    Free Member

Question- Do Shimano or Time offer the same amount of float and ease of clipping in and out in all conditions, lightweight and astonishing strange looking pedals which are really quite nice if you like that kind of thing?

Answer- No, because their pedals are designed to do what they are designed to do and if you want the above in your pedals you have to accept that regular servicing and even an hour with the usually easily available Eggbeater repair kit and some basic tools will need to be employed when they get a bit loose on the spindle.

It's called yin and yang. Choose one.

Del

hmm. have you used Time pedals?
    they function in a very similar manner.
    don't get me wrong, i liked using eggbeaters, but when i sheared the spindle in half ( like half it's length, leaving a jagged end sticking out of the crank, and fortunately not into a bit of me ), on a climb i pretty quickly came to the conclusion that i didn't really want to persist with them any longer. not an easy decision to make when you're then into changing pedals on five bikes.
    i persisted with eggbeaters for 5 years or so, serviced them and looked after them, i still think the actual function of them is very good, when in good condition, but i had to draw a line under it all in the end.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I have a set of Egg Beaters and Smarty pedals bearings shot on both pairs of pedals, just bought the replacement kit only to find out that these pedals do not accept replacement bearings. Serves me right for being a cheapskate I suppose. I do like Crank brothers pedals though with the ease of clipping in + loads of float. Can someone recommend a set of Cranks that accept replacement bearings for about £50.00?

Del

i have a set of blue candy sl, used about 6-8 times, in perfect working order you can have for 16 quid posted, if they're of interest?
    i might even be able to find cleats for them.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Del, I am interested, I have the cleats already attached to my shoes, just need the pedals that rotate!

2pure
    Free Member

Hi Graham,

As Ryan mentioned in his email if you return the pedals to us with the proof of purchase we can try and help you out.

Cheers
    ran@2pure

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Hi Ran, I do have the box for the egg beaters but not proof of purchase I do know where I bought them though the only problenm it was more that a year ago.

kimbers

to one of the 2pure guys

im a long term egg beater fan, run candys, mallets and acids on all my bikes
    and i love them but shelling out for rebuild kits once a year does add up, do crank bros have any plans to make pedals as long lasting as the shimano ones?

for example are the mallet 3s any better than my mallet 1s for longevity?

cheers kimbers

Del

Graham,
    i'll mail you now.
    Del.

druidh
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    to one of the 2pure guys

im a long term egg beater fan, run candys, mallets and acids on all my bikes
    and i love them but shelling out for rebuild kits once a year does add up, do crank bros have any plans to make pedals as long lasting as the shimano ones?
    Like these?

kimbers

sweet cheers
    though anyone know when they will be available, specifically the mallets??

2pure
    Free Member

New style mallets have been out for a couple of years now, the rest of the new pedal range is shipping now.

kimbers

but they only have 2 year warranty i was hoping for the 5yr warranty like with the new candys

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Broken Eggbeater – tore pedal from spindle.’ is closed to new replies.