Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Broken and Bodged Gravity Dropper Descender
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

On saturday’s ride in the Berwyns, the Descender unit snapped off my post, the whole pin and retaining assembly. It looks as if it was originally bonded or friction-welded on. I’ve wrapped a few cable-ties around it to hold it in place, and when the pin is in, it can’t go anywhere, there’s just a chance it could come away when changing the seat position. But otherwise, still works fine.

It was bought second-hand so out of warranty.

Anyone else done this, and how did you fix it? I’m thinking aradlite or stronger adhesive, and the replace cable-ties with something stronger/more permanant.

boblo
    Free Member

Yes, just as you say.

Very carefully align and epoxy it. That’s what they use at the factory. I added a couple of cable ties as insurance.

Be very careful with the alignment and even then, you may have to ream the hole out (fnar fnar) after assembly. If you’re out, the pin will stick in the engaged position and you’ll have a heavy Gravity Fixed. 🙂 Pull the pin out again with a magnet and re ream.

Once done, good as new.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, they do that. Epoxy and/or cable ties…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

cheers.
    that’ll do me 🙂

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Mine went too but was repaired under warranty. Might be worth getting a quote for them to fix it too.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

as I say, 2 years old and second (or even third) hand, so no warranty.
    I suspect, it may have been weaked when it was clamped in a vice to remove it from the frame it used to be in…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

So.. I sent an email to Gravity Dropper explaining the situation and asking for advice. Last night i got one back and it IS covered by warranty, so its going back to be fixed 🙂

Underhill
    Free Member

Result. Nice one Gravity Dropper

Liftman

yup, my one did the same thing, i also bought it secondhand, they took it back no problem and fixed it and gave it a service, only cost me the postage to send it to them, good service from them.

When i got it back the part is now bonded and held on with 4 countersunk screws as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Broken and Bodged Gravity Dropper Descender’ is closed to new replies.