Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • British summer front tyre – Shorty?….
  • simon80
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Due to the great weather I’m already looking at tyres for winter..
    The Shorty seems to get a lot of love on here.could I ask what size/compound people are running?
    It would be for trails/enduro and occasional downhill. Oh and 26″ inch if it makes any difference.
    Thanks Si

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

High Roller 2

stevied
    Free Member

My Shorty will be going back on when it starts to get wet. Really impressive tyre.
    I’m running a 3c, exo, tr on the front with a DHR2 on the back. Tried a HR2 but found it lacked a bit of bite for climbing in the wet.

kimbers

my shortys never been off!

for some reason every race i enter is muddy!

Shackleton

I’m still waiting to take my shorty off for the summer. I’m really impressed with mine (2.3 3c Exo 29er).

rondo101
    Free Member

Have any of you used the magic Mary too? How do they compare?

stevied
    Free Member

Mate at work fitted Mary’s recently. Very happy with them now but still says he prefers the Shorty

poah
    Free Member

its a an agressive muddy tyre similar to my barons. I take them off in the dry and run an XR4/mountain king combo. A minion DHF or a WTB vigilante would be a good call for most things other than the goo the shorty/baron would be run on.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I prefer my magic mary to the minion DHF it replaced but I’ve not run her in the wet yet

edward2000
    Free Member

Where’s Northwind when you need him?

rocketman
    Free Member

both fine tyres
    Shorty is better in the wet
    Mary better in dry

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

What is this “British summer” being talked about 😐

edward2000
    Free Member

ive used them both

both fine tyres
    Shorty is better in the wet
    Mary better in dry

This

And the Marys side knobs fail faster and the Mary doesnt clear mud as well.

deviant
    Free Member

Mary in Trailstar compound on the front of mine, great at earthy places like FoD, not so good on hard packed trails like BPW where I prefer a Minion instead.

Chose Trailstar as it doesn’t wear as quickly as some of Schwalbe’s compounds but still grips enough for front tyre use.
    I’ve yet to use it in proper winter slop when I tend to switch to a Dirty Dan anyway for max mud clearance!

Northwind

rondo101 – Member

IMO they don’t, Shorty is as good as the Mary at everything and better than it at most things. Mary is a good tyre but Shorty is fantastic.

They’re both still big, knobbly tyres- they can do whatever you ask, they work fine in the dry and on hard stuff but there’ll be a lot of times when something faster will be nicer and grippier. But if you want one tyre and your riding includes challenging gloopy offpiste stuff then I can’t see past the shorty, it is fab.

Vigilante seems like it might be a decent option if you want slightly better allrounder manners and slightly worse wet… Not sure about that, I’ve not got a good handle on mine yet. Heavy as a rock though.

simon80
    Free Member

So in everyone’s opinion the 2.3 3c maxterra is grippy enough? Would the 2.4 ST be overkill?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Minion DHF in 3C. Fit and forget all year round, though all this Shorty talk is making me wonder…

goyawave
    Free Member

Sorry to jump in but I’m thinking of ditching Schwalbe tyres. All this Minion and Shorty loving is based on a 2,3 width front tyre, which comes up nearer 2.25?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

2.5 DHF and 2.3 DHR II is a combo that works very well. You want some decent mud for the Shorty. I’m running a Butcher Grid(2015 different to 2014) and the Slaughter Grid it’s working well but the Slaughter is sketchy as ****/no grip / goes in whatever direction it likes on steep wet loam/mud sections.

Shackleton

All this Minion and Shorty loving is based on a 2,3 width front tyre, which comes up nearer 2.25?

Width is rim dependant but the Shorty is plenty wide for what they are designed for (wet, muddy, etc) and certainly wider than the old minions stated dimensions. Any wider and the knobs would be of less use. It certainly isn’t an all rounder as it wanders on hard surfaces and can feel a bit squirmy in hard corners and braking in the dry but on soft/loose ground through to where you need a true mud tyre it is hard to beat. The only other tyre I’ve used that is similar is the original baron.

eric20
    Free Member

Enjoy the weather 🙂
    have fun !

oli575
    Free Member

I replaced a Monion DHF 2.5 ST with a Magic Mary TS, only ridden at Cannock a few times but in the firm dry conditions the MM hasn’t got the grip of the Minion DHF.

Can’t be bothered to swap it back though but expect it to be much better in loamy soil or wet conditions.

FYI I also swapped out an HR2 on the back for a Hans Dampf. I think there is too much grip on the back with an HR2 ie too draggy. HD feels like a faster tyre with ‘enough’ grip.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘British summer front tyre – Shorty?….’ is closed to new replies.