Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Bristol Bike Fest 12 hour review!
  • Taz

It was a great day all round and we were very lucky with the weather. Felt sorry for the Sunday guys having a shortened day. Seems like the BBF team had no option and in fairness it was probably a good call given the potential for camp site chaos

It was a really cool and chilled atmosphere and passing is no where near the issue you would fear it could be with that level of singletrack. Almost everyone is polite when passing or being passed.

The start was a bit of a farce though in fairness I doubt it matters to any great extent

Anyone know where the official photos can / will be found

Neil – sorry about your break in. Glad nowt was taken. You at Salisbury this weekend?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Graham, what ratio were you using?

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Great event I loved it!

I won’t mention the team, but did anyone else see the guy sprinting the run at the start then when he got to the bike someone else from his team rode off to do the first lap! 🙁 Is that in the rules?

monkeyp

Was it just me, or were the Torq riders SO polite after the comments made at last years Oktoberfest. Good show anyway, it didn’t go unnoticed

wonnyj
    Free Member

Andrew I saw that as I was standing with you and it definitely wasn’t in the spirit of things….

Also my mate had a nice bike taken off his roof rack on the Sat night. Cable cutters through the 1/2inch cable lock. Still if you leave a nice bike on a roof overnight at bristol you might expect it to go.

Anyway apart from these niggles it was a bit of a classic bikefest in the sun. Loved my laps and the atmosphere at our bike down the bottom straight was excellent.

MarkyC
    Free Member

Name and shame!

Graham, what ratio were you using?

4.1m.
    I rode everything except the hairpin right hander at the bottom of the long cobblestone climb.
    I rode it the first lap, but had to take it so wide to avoid stalling, that I realised it would be quicker to dismount, push about 10m round the steepest, shortest, inside line, then remount.
    I pushed a short section of the other stony climb up the side of the field once as well, after spinning on loose stones and stalling.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sorry I’m being thick, 4.1m?

EDIT: Got it, you are using metric.

Dr_Bakes

MarkyC – Member

Name and shame!

If it was the same team I heard about then they might be seen plucking stringed instruments in their shop. One of their teams in the Old Gits cat came in a mere 44s ahead of the next team!

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Hello,

I was the runner of the stringed instrument playing cyclists pair who tried a different tactic to cover up our fading fitness!! It didn’t work that well; no great result but my team mate did have a slightly easier first lap. I had a read over the info on the website and couldn’t find anything that said you counldn’t so we thought we’d give it a try to make the most of the shakey start procedure!

Didn’t want to offend anyone just an attempt to make the most of what we had!! 😕

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure the rules don’t specifically state you can’t ride a motorbike, but come on do you really think that kind of tactic is in the spirit of things? In a word, pathetic.

triple_s

I assume you ran up to the transition area then?
    ” Riders need to change over in the ‘transition area’ after passing the Time-Lapse timing station, which will be clearly marked. Simply enter the area after your lap, touch your team mates arm and off you go. Riders can come and go freely from this area at any time.”

mattmbk
    Free Member

Not bothering with a hand over in the transition area seemed a popular tactic. Apparently “I can see my team mate” was sufficient to start riding. May pack binoculars for next time.

MrAgreeable

You get a choice of where to put your bike at the start which gives you a trade-off: you can leave it further away, and possibly avoid the snarl, but have to do more running, or put it closer but get stuck behind more riders.

Kudos to Adam for ‘fessing up, but as Pedalhead says, not really in the spirit of things.

Got it, you are using metric.

It’s the best way. Would anyone who insists on quoting ratios otherwise know how a 50×28 belt compares to a 32×18 chain ? 😛
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/why-does-no-one-use-gear-inches-or-metres-development

Dr_Bakes

Kudos to Adam for ‘fessing up, but as Pedalhead says, not really in the spirit of things.

And it kind of puts the soloists at an immediate disadvantage too.

MrAgreeable

Or it would if they were racing against teams.

The slightly sad thing about teams that bend the rules in Bikefest: you know they’re probably doing it in the hope of winning a generic medal and a wire bead tyre.

rainbow
    Free Member

Does anyone know the website for the photo’s of last weekend’s Bristol Bikefest please?

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Didn’t even work out as well as a wire bead tyre, just sore legs and the realisation that we’re not as quick as we want to be 🙁

Great event though…

Trimix
    Free Member

Adam_Buckland, Im glad you confessed. I and a couple of our team saw you do it and felt it really was not in the spirit of the event.

Some teams ride their guts out to end up a few seconds ahead after 12 hours, so any form of cheating / bending the rules is well out of order. I stand no chance of winning anything with my 35 min laps, but even I felt cheated by that tactic.

Lets hope your confession shows anyone else who may be tempted that they will be spotted.

Thanks for being honest in the end.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well TBH I would only be bothered if that person who cheated was on the podium – I was in the 12hr solo and I was just glad to finish intact 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I dream of the day I win a generic medal and a wire bead tyre.

It’s Friday and my legs still ache.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yep I know how you feel, I manged to swim on Wednesday but I was almost asleep at my desk on Thursday.

For some reason that race **** me up good and proper.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Yep Graham, I must admit to still feeling a little tired today. The training plan has been a bit of a chore this week and I have 8 hours MTB riding to do this weekend! 🙁 Roll on tapering!

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Bristol Bike Fest 12 hour review!’ is closed to new replies.