Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • Brewdog BBC 2 now
  • agent007
    Free Member

Appen I don’t want a giant bottle or to spend the whole evening drinking any kind of beer let alone the same beer?

You would if it was good beer 😉

DrJ

How long does it take to drink a pint in your neck of the woods? Bit much for you? Half a lager top perhaps

Yes, cos I’m not a proper beer drinking MAN like you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is 660mm not enough for you wrecker ? easy enough to buy brewdog in those around here if you so wish …. i prefer the 330ml bottles as it saves me pouring the damn thing into a glass when it already comes in its own drinking vessel. 660s are just a pain.

OR if you so wish you can also buy it in a can

wrecker
    Free Member

Yes, cos I’m not a proper beer drinking MAN like you.

😆
    Fanbois are so fun.
    I do like Punk IPA. In fact I fancy a pint tonight, best buy a couple of bottles 😀

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

What you need is TinPot Brewery in Bridge of Allan. Is also MTB friendly

TinPot Brewery

egb81
    Free Member

Looks bigger than the Bath ales set up (which is actually in Bristol and by no means small)

technically it’s in Warmley, South Gloucestershire, though it has a Bristol postcode. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Yes, it’ll have Bristol in it’s address though (as a large amount of south gloucs address’ do).
    A lot of us in south gloucs don’t believe in it, we’re still in bristol (as we always were before someone decided we weren’t) 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

People will still sell real ale in “proper” bottles, that isn’t going away!

No they won’t.

CAMRA pedantry means that bottled beer isn’t ‘real ale’. They won’t even consider cask kept under an aspirator despite it being better beer than just cask!

I like IPA in small bottles, drinking a pint in the evening the aromas gone by the end, a couple of bottles keeps it fresh.

CAMRA – old fuddies drinking stale beer in wetherspoons

SIBA – people who actually like beer

wrecker
    Free Member

SIBA – people who actually like beer
    Completely different things, and incomparable. The first is a club for “purist” olde english bitter drinkers, the second is an organisation for professionals (who generally sell beer in proper sized bottles 😉 )

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Nothing worse than inverse snobbery…..besides CAMRA folk would drink good beer wherever it’s sold but they certainly wouldn’t drink STALE beer…..

gobuchul
    Free Member

they certainly wouldn’t drink STALE beer…..

They do though. They don’t allow the casks to be filled with CO2, I’m not talking about force carbonation but just a blanket of CO2 to keep the oxygen away from the beer.

CAMRA real ale will oxidize and go stale pretty quickly.

agent007
    Free Member

To be honest I’ve yet to find a bottled ale that tastes anywhere near as good as a well kept ale from a proper keg in the pub.

Bottled lager seems to travel and keep much better. With real ale from a bottle (or even worse from a can), then I’ve always been left feeling a little disappointed.

Therefore the rules in our house are:

Beer from the fridge at home = bottled German or continental lager.

Beer at the pub = nice pint of real ale (provided it’s a descent pub).

zilog6128

CAMRA pedantry means that bottled beer isn’t ‘real ale’.

that simply isn’t true http://www.camra.org.uk/real-ale-in-a-bottle

To be honest I’ve yet to find a bottled ale that tastes anywhere as near as good as a well kept ale from a proper keg in the pub

I’d agree with this though. However the skill of keeping/dispensing ale properly seems to be vanishing swiftly so I often prefer a bottle from an “unknown” pub!

benji
    Free Member

Watched the programme as I had seen all the others in the series, wouldn’t have wanted to work there, but then again I don’t drink at all.

This may be a daft question but what does IPA stand for?

theotherjonv

India Pale Ale

They were brewed specifically to stand up to the long journey to India. I have heard said that they used to stuff it full of hops as they kept the beer free of contamination but that might be apocryphal. Old style pale ales were frequently a weaker, less hopped ‘session beer’ than the higher strength highly hopped stuff that gets sold now.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/30/brief-history-of-ipa-india-pale-ale-empire-drinks

yunki
    Free Member

It’s not wrong, just different. Embrace the change.

No no.. It is wrong

There’s a complex algorithm when selecting beer which takes into account strength, locality, flavour, colour and value..

I would quite like to see pence per unit info in the supermarket ( I may or may not be an alcoholic) paying more for less is a deft marketing strategy, but annoying for real ale drinkers (see what I did there?)

superfli
    Free Member

CAMRA do like craft beers too. Cwtch, from tiny rebel won best beer
    http://www.camra.org.uk/news/-/asset_publisher/1dUgQCmQMoVC/content/champion-beer-of-brita-1

Lovely stuff it is.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1) ive never seen that on a bottle
    2) it still rules out anything bottled on a bottling line as they all use CO2.
    3) conditioning alters the flavour of beer in good and bad ways, and results in a less stable product. Im quite happy to drink good beer in a bottle and ignore camra’s obsession with the intricacies of how it was bottled.

I’d rather a BJCP style definition of ales than CAMRA. Even if BJCP has its own foibles like subcategorising into black ipa and belgian ipa, neither have anything to do with Belgium or IPA!

Don’t start an argument on the origin of IPA, im sticking with the Americans that ‘pale ale’ described anything short of porter and caramalts are a perfectly valid ingredient. But that modern IPA is nothing like the historical version which was more like a weak barley wine because it spent 6 months in a cask. It was also like a lot of historical beers, probably a bit sour.

chewkw
    Free Member

I love Cornish Pilsner me but I do not know who the brewer is. 😮

I bought it in the pub so not bottled.

Sharp’s the only Cornish Pilsner brewer?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

1) ive never seen that on a bottle

Worthington White Shield has it, never seen it on anything else.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I like IPA in small bottles, drinking a pint in the evening the aromas gone by the end, a couple of bottles keeps it fresh.

Pay the same price for a man sized bottle but chuck half of it away if you’re a bit slow.

yunki
    Free Member

This can afford to be in a 330ml bottle.. just a tiny bit over a quid each for a flippin lovely craft beer

https://www.macs.co.nz/#home

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it just me or is this getting a bit People’s Front of Judea?

yunki
    Free Member

Is your mum getting a bit People’s Front of Judea?

wrecker
    Free Member

Just got a punk IPA on the go now. Lovely. Winced at the £5.90/l though when doom bar (a perfectly decent ale) was £3.90/l.

singletrackmind

2) it still rules out anything bottled on a bottling line as they all use CO2.

No they dont . sweeping generalisation and lack of knowledge. Unless you know more than me, and I have made about 2million pints of beer , then feel free to educate me further . I am still learning about brewing.

Brewdog in ‘no such thing as bad publicity ‘ TV program . Makes a change from brewing 20% abv beers to get column inches by annoying the Portman group and , latterly, CAMRA with their refusal to enter anything into the GBBF

And can we dump the JD Weatherspoon selling short dated ‘stale’ beer falacy right now. Simply not true. Your local country freehouse with 8 handpumps selling ‘Old Bobs Crotch Rot ‘ will be selling stale beer as Edwin and Dot who go there for lunch wont be drinking 8 pints in 8 hours like most of the JDW inhabitants . Edwin and Dot will have a half each , and thats it.JDW have very strict controls on the BB dates of deliveries and run the cleanest and most organised cellars in the country . And yes . I have seen alot of cellars.

DrJ

Fanbois are so fun.

Fanboi? Someone’s got his wires a bit crossed. I’m the one saying drink what you like, not what is in the correct sized bottle, or over the correct number of hours, or made in the correct sized factory or whatever other criteria the Bores use to decide what is Proper Beer.

Is it just me or is this getting a bit People’s Front of Judea?

‘xactly.

Spin
    Free Member

I love these threads.

On one side those being critical of what they see as style over substance marketing.

On the other side those who like the product and resent the implication that they’ve merely been suckered by clever marketing.

Meat and veg for STW.

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Wetherspoon’s beer just doesn’t taste right to me, been disappointed too many times. If I have to go in there now I’ll have a cider

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Also, St Austell’s Proper Job knocks Brewdog into a cocked hat

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

On one side those being critical of what they see as style over substance marketing.
    On the other side those who like the product and resent the implication that they’ve merely been suckered by clever marketing.

And on the 3rd side, those that actually know what they’re talking about…..

Unless you know more than me, and I have made about 2million pints of beer

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which one? And for the shocker at not knowing a British small brewery fron the other side of the world, we get brew dog on tap about once a month and have a selection of their cans and bottles available all year. On top of that I’ve been back to the UK a fair bit, Loweswater gold is a good beer but just one in a particular style. Good for some days and not others.
    The dead pony is perfect after a long hot day at work.
    I went to a brew dog bar where I was last over, really pleased to see glass size by style and content. Not everything should be in a pint.

mefty
    Free Member

Your local country freehouse with 8 handpumps selling ‘Old Bobs Crotch Rot ‘ will be selling stale beer as Edwin and Dot who go there for lunch wont be drinking 8 pints in 8 hours like most of the JDW inhabitants .

This is a very good point, unless a pub has extraordinary footfall, it is unlikely to be able to sustain a lot of pumps – an example of less is more.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cockwomble… or psychopath..?

I can’t decide.

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Mike, Punk IPA and Proper Job are comparable styles

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So out of a selection of 20+ beers you’ve picked one theatre you think isn’t as good as another one and that’s a verdict on the entire place. Punk iPa is one of their stock beers plenty of others to try…

DrJ

Thanks for the info. I’ll look out for it next time I’m in Sainsbury.

monkfish
    Free Member

Not seen Proper Job in Sainsburys although our local Tesco have it.

Proper Job is nice but I also like Punk IPA equally as much, in fact I like beer.

If you’re looking at the St Austell brewery my favourite is their Clouded Yellow Wheat beer.

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Mike, I picked their flagship beer

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Flagship or one of the early ones. I’m more partial to a 5am or a dead pony these days. The single hop range is really interesting and they probably have something for all tastes. But hey you made your choice.
    It’s a great time to enjoy beer with people being bold enough to try lots of things and for the bars, pubs and shops stocking them.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Brewdog BBC 2 now’ is closed to new replies.