Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 'brakeless' riding question. (caution: mild rant alert)
  • Carl_419
    Free Member

Can anybody explain to me the point of ‘brakeless’ riding.
    At first i just thought my local track was based in a run down area and they simply couldn’t afford brakes but watching more and more videos online it seems to be claimed as a ‘riding style’… and i use the term loosely.

The only advantages i can possibly see are that you could spin the bars more than once. But unless you’re planning a double barspin or double tailwhip it seems pointless.
    I mean…you wouldn’t take the brakes off your car?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Breakless or brakeless?

Carl_419
    Free Member

Touche haha.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I do pretty long rides without breaks.

I never stop for double tail whips wither.

uplink
    Free Member

Not stopping for a cuppa? – disgraceful

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

You seen Chris Akrigg ride brakeless? He’s massively impressive. A lot of BMXers do it too and it can make their riding a lot more fluid and impressive to watch.

There are, however, a lot of unskilled yoofs doing it and that just looks crap.

Carl_419
    Free Member

It’s quite amusing to watch though as they jam their foot in the back wheel to brake.
    They have actually created a solution for a problem that should never have existed.

meehaja
    Free Member

as a bmx thing, i used to ride brakeless, partly as brakes never worked very well anyway, and get in the way of buckled wheels, but also as it meant that you were forced to ride in a more fluid way, controlling your speed with the bike itself and concentrating more on a trick than the correct speed. Also being abel to end, then back hop with no brakes impressed the kids.

I’d not recommend it for road use but at a BMX track or skatepark where you just dump your bike if its going wrong, why not?

BigJohn

When they gave Chris Hoy a knighthood for riding a bike without brakes, it just meant any little chav thought it was OK for him to do it.

hels
    Free Member

I got a lot faster at descents when somebody took to riding behind me yelling at me to stay off the brakes ! Not sure if that is what you mean tho… I think it is supposed to foster a more fluid and controlled style than belting along as fast as you can then piling on the brakes. Much like driving really.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘'brakeless' riding question. (caution: mild rant alert)’ is closed to new replies.