Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 517 total)
  • Shots fired outside Westminster
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

“Are we expecting a statement from the head of Hyundai UK”

A point that needs to be made more IMHO.

Sounds like he lived in a flat – what are the flat dwelling community doing about this problem in their midst.

He was wearing clothes, yet garment wearers are silent about this outrage caused by one of their own.

The only group who need to address this are the “murdering ***** with personality disorders” community and I don’t think we’ll be hearing much from them.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Again, apologies rockape – as I didnt actually apologise in the previous post.

kerley
    Free Member

“Are we expecting a statement from the head of Hyundai UK”

A point that needs to be made more IMHO.

Sounds like he lived in a flat – what are the flat dwelling community doing about this problem in their midst.

He was wearing clothes, yet garment wearers are silent about this outrage caused by one of their own.

The only group who need to address this are the “murdering ***** with personality disorders” community and I don’t think we’ll be hearing much from them.

Totally agree. I saw on TV this morning that they had someone on from the Muslim council. Does he really need to actually condemn someone doing this just because they are linked to his religion. Can people really not work that out for themselves?

(no answers please as I know the depressing answer)

g5604
    Free Member

Armchair heroes who have watched too many movies.

They stopped the attacker quickly, everyone did their job incredibly well. Be thankful for these people.

frankconway

IS tv(who would have known?) have claimed IS are responsible.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The only group who need to address this are the “murdering ***** with personality disorders” community

My point. Entirely.

imnotverygood

The cause of terrorism is western aggression and uneven distribution of wealth and resources

The tool that is used to push those desperate people over the edge into a state of mind where they are prepared to martyr themselves is religion.

He was British born and lived in Birmingham.

yunki
    Free Member

So?

imnotverygood

Well, I am just wondering what western aggression pushed this poor desperate man over the edge.
    A certain type of egotist will always find a cause to kill people who refuse to submit to what he believes in.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

G5604 – it’s more a case of hoping the bobby on the beat gets the right resources and treatment.

yunki
    Free Member

I would guess that the fella in some way identifies with people in other countries that are victims of capitalism

The only point that I’m clumsily trying to make is that blaming terrorism on religion is taking a very child like view

You’re right though.. we see that strange egotism of the unfulfilled man forcing their view on others on here, all day every day

spekkie
    Free Member

“The so-called Islamic State group has said it was behind the attack.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39363297

Cougar

He was British born and lived in Birmingham.

Hang on, has his identity been confirmed?

The last I heard, they were saying it was Terry Brooks but then that was retracted on the grounds that, well, it wasn’t him at all and TB is in prison. Has there been another statement since?

outofbreath
    Free Member

From the link above, Cougar: “The Westminster attacker was British-born and known to the police and intelligence services, the prime minister has revealed.”

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Laura Kuenssberg just said (on daily politics) that the two plain clothes policemen who shot the attacker were Michael Fallon’s personal protection officers, not guards stopping people from entering the house, so it could have been a lot worse if they werent there looking after Mr. Fallon. 😯

frankconway

Cougar – yes; TM made statement in parliament this morning; identity known to police and intelligence services but not being disclosed yet.
    He was investigated several years over ‘violent’ extremism’; described as ‘….peripheral and not part of current intelligence picture’.

Northwind

frankconway – Member

IS tv(who would have known?) have claimed IS are responsible.

Of course they have, they also claimed responsibility for that fire at the Eiffel Tower.

colournoise

Mr Woppit – Member
    The only group who need to address this are the “murdering ***** with personality disorders” community
    My point. Entirely.

Agreed.

Said it before, but I wish we (society, the media) would stop legitimising these events by describing them as ideologically-driven/terrorism/lone wolf attacks. They should should just be described as mass murders and those who perpetrate them as just plain old murderers.

Cougar

I missed that, cheers both.

davidjey
    Free Member

Are we expecting a statement from the head of Hyundai UK stating that the terrorist actions aren’t in anyway representative of the majority of Hyundai drivers, the vast majority of whom are proud to call themselves British and wish to live peacefully alongside drivers of other cars (even Kias)?

It looks like the attacker was a Birmingham Asian. My wife is from Birmingham so I’ll also be calling on her and her family to condemn yesterday’s attacks.

tjagain

Those folk who are questioning the coppers response have you ever been in emergency situations? While those I have been in are no threat to my life I have been in medical emergencies and despite having done it a few times and been well trained when the brown stuff hits the ventilation unit its astonishing what basic mistakes you make and how easy it is to be shocked into stasis / panic.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Said it before, but I wish we (society, the media) would stop legitimising these events by describing them as ideologically-driven/terrorism/lone wolf attacks. They should should just be described as mass murders and those who perpetrate them as just plain old murderers.

no, they shouldn’t.

juanghia
    Free Member

They should should just be described as mass murders and those who perpetrate them as just plain old murderers.

Yeah perhaps you could if it weren’t for that ****ing great elephant in the room.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tj, I just think that its a bit harsh as a society to ask PERHAPS relatively soft (compared to some) unarmed coppers to guard such a gigigantic target full of people that most of the country loathe. If I worked that job I’d be counting my days expecting one day to meet my maker via the medium of a truck bomb.

It seems more like a job for retired special forces types.

I guess they chose to do it but that still doesnt make it sit right with me.

I think this is made worse by the fact that the Parliament building is not really fit for purpose and is being used for tourism and image purposes. Parliament should be located aomewhere rural with security like Porton Down.

tjagain

I agree Tom – but some folk seemed to be questioning why the cops did or didn’t do various things and just from my peripheral involvement in emergency situations I know how hard it is to respond properly even when well trained and practised

Rockape63
    Free Member

Again, apologies rockape – as I didnt actually apologise in the previous post.

don’t worry about it….thought you were having a needless pop, thats all!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah perhaps you could if it weren’t for that ****ing great elephant in the room.

I suppose by that you are referring to Islam.

I further suppose that you haven’t read any of the previous posts where this has been discussed at length, concluding that the particular religion has nothing to to with it.

There is no elephant.

scud
    Free Member

Tj, I just think that its a bit harsh as a society to ask PERHAPS relatively soft (compared to some) unarmed coppers to guard such a gigigantic target full of people that most of the country loathe. If I worked that job I’d be counting my days expecting one day to meet my maker via the medium of a truck bomb.

It seems more like a job for retired special forces types.

I guess they chose to do it but that still doesnt make it sit right with me.

I don’t think i’ve read as much shite as i’ve read in this thread. PC Palmer was a highly experienced Police officer of 15 years service and prior to that he served with Royal Artillery (as an ex-artilleryman myself – 7 Para RHA), he wasn’t some young lad who didn’t know what he was doing, the guys working for Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection are experienced officers, you only have to look at how quickly the situation was quelled, despite the huge number of innocent bystanders they were surrounded by.

It beggars belief that you feel after having watched no doubt a few “SAS heroes” documentaries on TV that you have the experience to comment on what he did wrong and that we have a surplus of “special forces types” just knocking around to stand on the door and protect everyone.

I’m sure what he did, he did out of civic duty and that when he left his family that morning, they would of expected him to come back that night and that is what should be remembered, the world has lost a good person and a family have lost a husband and father.

IF you can’t say anything of intelligence or at least out of a slight bit of experience, then don’t say anything at all perhaps?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I further suppose that you haven’t read any of the previous posts where this has been discussed at length, concluding that the particular religion has nothing to to with it.

I failed to see that conclusion…

molgrips
    Free Member

I am happy for Edukator and Woppit to criticise religious violence.

I am not happy for Edukator to claim that Islam is intrinsically violent and it’s Islam’s fault that we have terrorism.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Fair enough Scud, I just hope they are properly resourced that is all.

I did capitalise “perhaps” – so thanks for educating me.

I do wonder about the ethics of keeping Parliament in its current location though.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Yeah perhaps you could if it weren’t for that ****ing great elephant in the room.”

Seems to me these people are usually drug takers, dropouts, petty crims.

What they rarely turn out to be are good Muslims.

yunki
    Free Member

Like I said earlier.. blaming terrorism on religion is the thought process of a daft kid..

It does however suit the atheist fundamentalist narrative

igm

I am happy for Edukator and Woppit to criticise religious violence.

I am not happy for Edukator to claim that Islam is intrinsically violent and it’s Islam’s fault that we have terrorism.

The last act of terror against MPs in this country that I recall (just under a year ago) was certainly not Islamic in any sense (not a good Muslim, bad Muslim or any other sort of Muslim).

g5604
    Free Member

Internet tough guys, calling dead policeman soft – is there anything more pathetic?

richmtb

I think this is made worse by the fact that the Parliament building is not really fit for purpose and is being used for tourism and image purposes. Parliament should be located aomewhere rural with security like Porton Down.

That’s not really the way an open democracy works though is it.

If you start hiding your parliament buildings away in the countryside then what does that say about the country it sits in?

It says the terrorists are winning and we are changing our way of life because of them.

igm

Probably g5604. But it doesn’t spring to mind.

gobuchul
    Free Member

concluding that the particular religion has nothing to to with it.

No one sane would blame all of Islams followers for terror attacks.

However, to pretend that there no issues with areas of Fundamentalist Islam is completely insane as well.

This lunatic who carried out this attack would of described himself as Muslim and that he was following the true Islamic path.His branch of Islam glorifies and encourages murdering the Infidel.

Not all Muslims believe that this is the correct understanding of the Quran but a very small minority do.

There are 2,500,000 Muslims in the UK. So if only 0.001% do believe they should kill in God’s name that’s still 2500 potential martyrs.

To pretend this isn’t anything to do with Islam is not going to help solve the problem.

winston
    Free Member

I’m not sure people are criticising the individual police involved and their response. But if it is true that 2 randomly placed plain clothes shot the perp as BBC have reported then it begs the question what would have happened if Michael Fallon had been somewhere else.

It seems pretty clear to me that the security arrangements on that gate were not as good as they could have been and that a slightly more organised attack with perhaps a hand gun or more than one attacker etc would have got through and done some damage in the lobby or perhaps worse. I suspect this will be addressed in the coming days.

To say that this type of attack wasn’t expected in exactly this area is ridiculous yet I have heard so many quotes from the media and politicians expressing this and saying ‘well we will have to increase security at the gate now’

If I was the PM I would be asking what the hell were they doing before.

The bridge incident on the other hand is much harder to prevent though I guess railings might help.

scud
    Free Member

Fair enough Scud, I just hope they are properly resourced that is all.

Probably not no, but then again nor are many sections of our armed forces, other branches of the emergency services, our Doctors, nurses, the list could go on.

The point was you seemed to insinuating that this would affect the level of professionalism shown yesterday and that the situation would of been different if every building of importance was guarded by armed “special forces” types? Has that situation ever played out differently in the United States where the Policing and Armed forces budgets are much higher per capita than ours? The French Police are armed, did it play out differently there?

Just think what that officers family lost, before you question whether he was up to the task

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Shots fired outside Westminster’ is closed to new replies.