Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Breaking in new Hope stoppers… quick it's sunny!!!!
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

Reccomendations on breaking in new rotors (pads previously used) please?

I did hear that the usual procedure is find a medium grad hill and 'jack n jill' it half a dozen times?
    8)

solarider
    Free Member

You are correct.

The only other tip I have heard is to pour coca cola over the rotors. And no, this is not an April Fools' Day joke. There's something inherently sticky and slightly corrosive in coke (which is scary when you think that we drink it!) which accelerates the process.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I very vaguely remember GCSE chemistry (very?) and the old Cola experiments. LOL.

Right off to find a 1 in 4 via Tesco with a bottle of vegetable extract in hand. 😉

solarider
    Free Member

Be careful with your choice of vegetable extract. Not sure vegetable oil would do the trick!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do not use coca cola – it contains phosphoric acid which will remove the layer of pad material off the rotor – which you need to create as part of bedding in.

All you need to do is get the brakes hot and the pads under pressure – a few hard stops down a hill.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I had new pads/rotors and found the best thing was to get them plaster in mud/rain/general trail s**t.

Came home from the ride and they were lovely : )

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

Wen't 'au naturel' in the end. There is a bridge colapsing in a valley near me and they have closed the roads off for foundation repairs, ideal it was.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Breaking in new Hope stoppers… quick it's sunny!!!!’ is closed to new replies.