Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brass Monkey York Half Marathon cancelled.
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

I understand that the conditions were not fit but they didn’t even attempt to grit the course?

This was my first Half so I don’t have any experience but I feel a bit miffed they aren’t returning the funds not even a percentage.

What do you guys think?

http://www.yorkknavesmireharriers.co.uk/brassmonkey.htm

“Weather & Cancellation:
    Due to the time of year weather conditions may be less than ideal. We have never had to cancel the race but we will place the safety of runners and officials above all, as well as acting on the advise of the police, Race Referee or anr appropriate body. If the event does have to be cancelled or delayed for any reason we regret that refunds cannot be made. Race Souvenirs will however be available in exchange for your race number. Thes must be collected in person as they cannot be posted.”

wwaswas

sounds like they should have bought insurance, tbh.

hammy7272
    Free Member

I understand it is in their terms and conditions but they have made more money now that it was cancelled. Doesn’t add up to me?

cp

I understand that the conditions were not fit but they didn’t even attempt to grit the course?

It takes a little more than a clear course (and beside gritting an entire 1/2 marathon course??!) to ensure an event could go ahead – getting organisers, marhalls, road closures etc… all set up would be a nightmare.

I understand it is in their terms and conditions but they have made more money now that it was cancelled. Doesn’t add up to me?

Hmmmm, I doubt any of their suppliers are giving them money back for services already paid for.

nosemineb
    Free Member

The problem with organising events is most of the expense has gone out before race day and that cant be recouped.
    Anyone give advice on how much it would cost to privately grit a 13 mile circuit? A lot i imagine.
    I was down to race but given the conditions it was never going to be fast so we decided to run a scenic local course instead.. sorry thats not helping you 😳 😆
    At least we will get the souvenir t shirt, hope its worth it.
    I would like to see it rescheduled but this would cost them. There is no easy answer, our club had the same issue 2 years ago we postponed at our cost.
    If your local to Ripon/york come do the Muddy boots 10k organised by my good wife, pretty much guarantee it will not be cancelled!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I say stuff them, just go out and run it anyway, maybe do it twice, that way you get double value

nosemineb
    Free Member

They park on the grass to… Nightmare waiting to happen with that alone!

theteaboy
    Free Member

You signed up for a race, on roads, in the north of England, in January. You presumably read the t&cs beforehand.

As above, many of the costs had already been incurred, getting marshalls, first aid, drink stations etc to the right places would have been a nightmare. Grit the whole course? You may need to add ‘snow shovel’ to the race kit list.

All that effort to then have someone fall over and sue? No thanks.

Most of the people who had travelled for it seemed to come and run the Stoop fell race from Haworth anyway. There were over 330 of us racing!

anonymouse
    Free Member

Most of the people who had travelled for it seemed to come and run the Stoop fell race from Haworth anyway. There were over 330 of us racing!

Dave’s health and safety announcement show how it should be done.
    “There’s drifting snow on the top. You do not want to be in the lead at that point.”
    “There’s a 100m section of bottled ice. Go down the side or go down on your bum, it’s up to you”
    “There is a marshall at the road crossing but they will not stop the traffic. If you get hit by a car it’s your fault; I’m not responsible for idiots who don’t know how to cross the road.”

theteaboy
    Free Member

You shouldn’t get lost but, if in doubt, follow Tom and Tom.

“There’s drifting snow on the top. You do not want to be in the lead at that point.”

This was genius.

(Wish he’d warned us about that bog though. Thigh-deep on the descent brought an instant standstill and I took a face-full)

Edit: Got the name wrong yesterday too – Stanbury Splash, but the route was changed to visit the Stoop instead because of the ice.

anonymouse
    Free Member

I must have taken a different line as I got back with cleanish legs.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Local road 10miler was cancelled on Sunday. Seemed the sensible thing to do, so I went for a trail run instead. The organisers aren’t responisble for the weather, so it didn’t cross my mind about a refund. Plus it’s organised by a running club, so they wouldn’t be making a money to speak of anyway.
    I’d have been disappointed if it had been off-road and cancelled though.

Blackhound

Did that Stanbury race 20+ years ago – used to get an out-of-date malt-loaf at the end in the pub. Happy days.

Did a pb in the brass monkeys 26 years ago, 82.07 for 65th position. Won in 68.07. (Stumbled across the result recently)

As said above most costs already incurred and they do event for profit. Assuming course is similar it is down some smaller roads. Anything saved could go to charity. but probably not a lot.

stever
    Free Member

Most of the money has been spent. Events like that are put on by a couple of people running around like idiots in their spare time on a ‘best efforts’ basis. On most occasions best efforts is bloody amazing. We cancelled an event this weekend in similar circumstances. If people saw the trojan efforts put into trying to make it happen and the heavy heart when you have to throw in the towel they might not judge so quickly. And they can always use an extra volunteer if you fancy helping out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Brass Monkey York Half Marathon cancelled.’ is closed to new replies.