Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Brant or someone else – can you help with Fork Q's?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I have one of the Planet X Ti Pro frames built by V.Nicholas, and im looking to have a steel fork made for it.

My question, does anyone know both the a/c & rake dimensions for this particular frame?

I’m currently riding a standard PX carbon fork (as per SL Pro frame) which I think is set at 45mm rake, but i’ve no idea if this is correct.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Measure it – and its clearer if you say offset for the fork as the frame has a rake – the head angle.

The fork can be measured to – take a line down the centre of the steerer and then measure how far the axle is ahead of this – thats the offset

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why not just get the framebuilder who’s making the fork to decide? Or just take the carbon forks allong and have them set the jig up arround those.

45mm is pretty standard for road forks (track bikes use 38mm, toruing bikes 50-60mm).

slimjim78
    Free Member

My understanding is that a frame requires a specific a/c length and offset for it fork in order to achieve optimum/desired handling performance.

I don’t have a reference for the ‘correct’ fork for this particular frame, only the fork that I bought in order to get the bike up & running (presumming its probably/possibly correct regardless?)

I was keen to obtain the exact recommended figures to be sure that the steel fork im having built (by SHAND) is a perfect fit.

All I can offer them at the moment is a best guess.
    I’ve tried Planet X Tech support, they scratched thier heads, but said they would probably ask Brant if I sent them a photo of my frame(?)

cynic-al
    Free Member

slimjim78 – Member

My understanding is that a frame requires a specific a/c length and offset for it fork in order to achieve optimum/desired handling performance.

It may be but these things tend to be designed to industry standards.

I’d be asking what the frame was designed for – but I bet you this is the answer you get.

brant
    Free Member

My drawings show 43mm offset (43 or 45mm is pretty standard road bike fork offset), and a dimension of 370mm TO THE BOTTOM OF THE HEADTUBE.

So – this dimension needs to be modified, by the amount the lower headset cup and fork crown is.

I’d put it at about 360mm.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yes – im certain that it’ll be a 45mm offset, possibly 43mm.

And i’m guessing the a/c measurement on most off the peg ‘road’ frames is very similar.
    Would be nice to be certain though, is all.

EDIT: Thanks Brant!
    I’m running a King 1-1/8th aheadset

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Brant or someone else – can you help with Fork Q's?’ is closed to new replies.