Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • brand new revelations have play in legs
  • Big-Bud
    Free Member

fitted some new revelation dual air teams to my bike no problem you think.
    the headset is tight but there is noticable movement where the seals are on the forks.
    you can hold the front brake & rock the front wheel & you can feel the movement if you hold the legs .its no more than even 1mm but its there.
    you dont notice it when riding but its there all the same.

is it likely to be a dodgy bush at the factory .its not the brake either definalty the forks.

i bought them from merlin so there is a guarantee but bloody annoying as ive sold my old forks .

is it a home diy fix as im quite handy but couldt find any service fix/details.

tar!

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Its because they are 150mil travel ones which mean when the fork is unweighted the legs sit right at there limit and the play comes
    Frm the bushings. Once you sit and set the sag they should sit deeper and theres no play. Had the same issue so mentioned it during a tftuned service and thats how we explained it. 6mnths on and no problems.

nuke

Its because they are 150mil travel ones which mean when the fork is unweighted the legs sit right at there limit and the play comes

This might be the advice you’ve been given but it sounds so wrong…why would it be acceptable to design a fork that had play in the fork when they are unweighted?

To test the bushings, I was told by TFT to stick my finger between the stanchion and fork brace, then rock the bike with the front brake on, seeing whether your finger is pinched as you rock.

This thread may also be worth a look…
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/air-u-turn-rockshox-revelations-a-few-problems-please-help

…as it does sounds similar to the clunk described

mr_mills
    Free Member

Same forks here and there’s no play in mine!

Big-Bud
    Free Member

To test the bushings, I was told by TFT to stick my finger between the stanchion and fork brace, then rock the bike with the front brake on, seeing whether your finger is pinched as you rock.

mine does just that

alfabus
    Free Member

Mine have this (2010 150mm rev team maxle)… didn’t notice it when they were new, but after a scotland trip and an alps trip they have a noticeable knocking when you rock them (like you do to check a headset)

I can’t notice it when riding, haven’t done anything about it yet because I was being lazy.

Dave

nuke

mine does just that

Bushings will probably not need replacing but just need to be adjusted to take out the play…question is more whether you’re prepared to go to the time and hassle of sending them back to Merlin who will probably then have to send then on to Fishers.

juiced
    Free Member

send them back. surley this play will only get worst.and what if you jump a little. cannot be good having play at full extension.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

nuke how do you adjust them!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They need some play otherwise they would bind. If the tolerances stack up against yo tho you get excessive play even when new.

Maybe get a bike shop to check them?

Return for replacement if you are not happy tho.

sailor74
    Free Member

a lot of forks have play in the bushings. I have two sets of fox 36’s, one has a little play the other is ok.

Rockshox tend to have much more play than other brands, the only solution is to have the bushings replaced and possibly resized. You probably wont notice the play when riding, in which there isnt a need to worry particularly about it, although knowing its there and living with it is another matter. On the up side, the looser the bushing the less force is required to move the fork, so small bump sensitivity will be better.

personally i like everything to be spot on so excessive play would drive me nuts, you should be able to get the bushings replaced under warranty.

Cougar

question is more whether you’re prepared to go to the time and hassle of sending them back to Merlin who will probably then have to send then on to Fishers.

If they’re brand new, I’d be back at the shop discussing replacement / refund. No way should you have to accept a repair, especially one that involves them being sent away for weeks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cougar is right

Cougar

Had to happen eventually. (-:

stilltortoise
    Free Member

on the subject of Revelations, my brand new ones – not even fitted yet – seem to leak more than I would expect just cycling the fork up and down. Can anyone reassure me?

Big-Bud
    Free Member

really appreciate the help thanks guys.

nuke

seem to leak more than I would expect just cycling the fork up and down. Can anyone reassure me?

Where do they leak from?

If they’re brand new, I’d be back at the shop discussing replacement / refund. No way should you have to accept a repair, especially one that involves them being sent away for weeks.

Yep, agreed…if they were brand new as OP didn’t say. Had a set of Pikes from CRC and they went wrong after 2 months…they were away for about 8 weeks 🙁

nuke how do you adjust them!!!

Sorry, don’t know….re-sizing bushings is something I’d leave to the experts like TFT

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

If you are worried try getting them checked out. Mine are now 12mnths old and havn’t got any worse so have accepted it as how they are made. As I said got them serviced by tf tuned and mentioned the problem, so they said they’d have a look while stripped down. Came back with this explination and said bushes do not need replacing. If there was a problem they could have charged for new bushings! 6mnths on and no problems and never notice any play when riding. And they are ridden hard, jumps, drops etc.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Where do they leak from?

the seal/junction between stanchions and lowers e.g. the more travel the higher the oil line up the stanchion. I’m used to “upside-down” Mavericks that don’t seem to let out any oil, so this was a bit of a surprise.

nuke

So they just leave like a line of oil on the stanchion? If so, that’s fine…new RS forks always do that. Shows there’s some some oil behind the dust seals which is a good thing. 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

okey dokey, I shall stop worrying then.

Cheers

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘brand new revelations have play in legs’ is closed to new replies.