Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • brake help, which ones to buy??
  • Angry-pirate
    Free Member

right, ihad a set of second hand m4’s which are now kaput, so im just after a bi of advice on what to go for next.

basicly i want power and reliability. that is my criteria. i dont care about weight. any help would be apreciated

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get teh hopes fixed – return to hope and for less than the price of some basic shimanos they will give them a full service – new seals and pads included

carlos
    Free Member

+1 They are so servicable. I did a riding buddies, a few quid for bits and about 1hr start to finish

slowrider
    Free Member

Hope m4’s are a nice brake to start with, which version are they? The older ones are a bit chunky compared to the new tech levers which are a lovely feeling brake. I switched to saints earlier this year and love them, braking is so controlled and effortless. I recently bought a bike that came with some well reviewed formulas and couldn’t believe how much more hand pain and arm pump i got from using them. The saints are on the new bike now.

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

i dont know exactly how old they are but theyre mini levers and ive had quite a few problems with them in terms of bolts rounding and not being able to find any power even after constant bleeding, with no leaks in the system. so basicly im going to get a new set of brakes, with full warranty so that i atleast know their history and any problems i can let the shop deal with it. how much would the hope service be do you know?

yetiguy
    Free Member

hope v2, much better than m4 and only a little heavier

cullen-bay
    Free Member

shimano Xt if you can afford – reliable and powerful.

I would avoid Any hayes brake- they simply dont last.

bagpuss
    Free Member

18bikes did mine a few months ago, £45 each end for a full rebuild, caliper and lever and new pads. I think they were back with me in a week or so. Cannot fault their service and the brakes, other than the signs of use on the outside, are like new.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

£90 for a Full rebuild all wearng parts to be replaced? Got to be worth it

you could get a bottom of the range shimanos for that but I’d rather have the hopes. Don’t want them? I’ll have ’em

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

i really did love the hopes but im just ready for a new set i think, im not opposed to the new tech versions. i do like the idea of sticking with 4 pots, but if theres a set of powerfull duals then fair enough.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘brake help, which ones to buy??’ is closed to new replies.