Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • braemar to aviemore, best route? (+some big top descents?)
  • specialspecimen
    Free Member

Looking for the most fun way to get from braemar to aviemore, ideally taking in a good Munroe descent on the way.

Been looking at glen Derry up to Ben macdui and down the other side, but not sure if that is a good way to do it.

In no hurry either as I’ll have my tent on my back!

Cheers for any help.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Larig au laoigh every time …. Assumes that because your asking you have not ridden it 🙂

scotroutes

Does it have to be that way round? Aviemore to Braemar would be better. You could go up Cairngorm via the access road, over towards Ben Macdui and descend into Glen Derry from there via Coire Etchachan.

Spin
    Free Member

Agree with Scotroutes, the other way offers a better descent.

trail_rat
    Free Member

oops i missed it was that way round . agree to go the other way if possible.

if not its a fair slog in any direction.

specialspecimen
    Free Member

It has to be this way around! I’ll be heading to fort William and then Glasgow eventually, all in a oner on ma bike.

Of course I don’t have to go via aviemore exactly…but looked like best way through.

Re. Larig au laoigh, I’ve heard it is also better the other way? But then I also heard bynack mor is good going down aviemore way…

specialspecimen
    Free Member

Don’t mind some hikeabike as long as there is something decent going down after..:)

chickenman

The lairig an Laoigh is mainly a push in that direction. If you do it then liven it up by carrying up Carn a Mhain, great descent along its north ridge, push up Macduibh and descend the Etchachan path; one of the top descents in Britain (to push up this would be soul destroying IMO.
    You could also go up Beinn a Bhuird, over Ben Avon to descend its NE ridge to Linn of Avon. Follow the outer Cairngorm loop round to Aviemore.

Spin
    Free Member

But then I also heard bynack mor is good going down aviemore way…

It’s not great riding. The top bit is fun but once you hit the main track its a bit dull.

specialspecimen
    Free Member

Thx for the advice, will look into the stuff you suggested chickenman.

What are the absolute best bits of riding in the Cairngorms? Is Ben Mac the best?

theblackmount
    Free Member

Before they rebuilt the paths below the Hutchie Hut I’d say yes, but not now. For example the descent off Lochnagar (to Loch Muick) kind of blows it away technically. Though neither are impressive looking mountains… The ‘Gorms are massive – it has to be a big day just to penetrate the plateau / interior. Like a lot of riding in the Scottish Highlands it’s more about the day as a whole – if that makes sense? It’s a fantastic place to learn and explore.

specialspecimen
    Free Member

I think lochnagar is one of the most impressive actually!

Walked it a couple of times, planning to ride down the west side towards braemar.

I’ve walked through the Cairngorm’s before, aviemore to braemar, so know what its like to some extent. Big days out are what I’m after 🙂

specialspecimen
    Free Member

Ended up changing plans and did two days out:
    Ballater via lochnagar/braemar to Linn of dee, then Linn of dee up glen lui to carn o mhaim, along ridge then up to Ben macdui, then down to the hutch hut and eventually back to ballater.

Lochnagar down to braemar was a rubbish descent, didn’t even feel like a descent, more uphill! I’ve walked it before so wish I’d realised that..is the path that cuts off halfway, by the hill with the plane wing, and goes down to somewhere between braemar and crathie, any good?

Got destroyed by midges camping at Linn of dee that night/morning, absolutely insane, I nearly came home that morning it was so bad, thought it was raining but it was midges kamikazying against my tent.

Ride out to carn a mhaim via glen lui was lovely. Push/carry up Mhaim not so bad, the ridge down to the saddle by macdui/sgor wasnt all rideable, but it was awesome!!

Carry up to Ben macdui from the saddle was pretty brutal, massive boulder field!

Hutchy descent was interesting!! Rocky as **** but pretty awesome, 95% rideable, typical Scottish hill descent! Would have liked to do it without camping gear!

Ride back along glen Derry was great, one sneaky drainage ditch sent me flying, but heather makes for a great landing!

Then tanned it back to ballater.

Amazing couple of days. :0

somafunk

Was this you? 😉 A bit midgery in the Cairngorms

MadBillMcMad

try these – Now that was a Fab w/e

Braemar to Aviemore – https://www.strava.com/activities/67218264

Aviemore to Braemar – https://www.strava.com/activities/67218515

kneebiscuit
    Free Member
    specialspecimen
    Free Member

Was this you?

Haha, not me there, but the same thing going on just down the road, only I didn’t have the sense to tuck my midge net in…and I was wearing shorts. 🙁

Made a black paste on my legs by trying to wipe them off.

specialspecimen
    Free Member

Yeah that way sounds like the least hikey way, MadBill.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>by the hill with the plane wing, and goes down to somewhere between braemar and crathie, any good?,

Not Crathie – that’s way East. “plane wing” (and in fact the entire plane) is on the summit of Carn an Sagairt Mor. The descent to Lochcallater Lodge, then out to Auchallater is very good.

Sron Riach is a better option on to Macdui and Carn a Mhaim much better in reverse of your choice. There is a “path” through the boulder field btw but very easily missed

chickenman

Looks like the OP didn’t enjoy the Taggart Mor descent to Loch Callater. I’ve done it several times and really enjoy it: There are some bits with awkward round boulders blocking path; you do get the knack of picking your way round them eventually. The much lauded Glas allt Sheil descent from Lochnagar has several sections in the lower part that 95% of riders won’t manage; doesn’t stop folk from enjoying it.
    There is a descent N of Taggart Beag which is fine just a bit easy really.

chickenman

Think the OP rode Carn a Mhaim the right way Blackmount; down the long ridge to the north? The push up to Macduibh is easiest if you spiral up trending rightwards all the time. That way you stick to grass rather than the boulder field. Worth picking out the correct line before you reach the col!
    Madbill: The classic inner ‘Gorms route has many frustrating bits to it, no munros and no quality decents IMO.

specialspecimen
    Free Member

Yeah surely cairn a mhaim is best the way I did it..otherwise the ridge is all uphill. In any case it was great and worked well in conjunction with macdui.

Aye the descent to loch callater I just found a bit frustrating, never felt like a big stretch of down to get going. The plateau is a beautiful place to ride though.

Anyone done Ben alder? Thoughts?

I’m heading from braemar to fort William looking for good the good stuff again!

theblackmount
    Free Member

Yeah I know that descent down the Feindallachar burn – better way up.

>Think the OP rode Carn a Mhaim the right way Blackmount; down the long ridge to the north? <

For me I guess the setting more than the riding on that hill. Ergo Sron Riach C a M anti – clockwise as a loop ;-)I realise that didn’t work as a point point for the OP. Macdui is best from the North via Coire an Lochan. Two very good options back from the Fords of Avon if you have the legs 😉

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Yeah surely cairn a mhaim is best the way I did it..otherwise the ridge is all uphill<

Aye, But it’s all rideable – as is the descent to Luibeg 🙂 And the views are far better going N/S. Your direction it’s not, tho I do get why you did it.

And that carry up the shoulder of Ben Mcd is brutal.

Callater descent is great imo.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Ben Alder paths = trail centre riding mostly as they are very well built.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘braemar to aviemore, best route? (+some big top descents?)’ is closed to new replies.