Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Bought a road bike and am now bored of biking!
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

I have bought a colleagues old road bike of him. £180 with carbon forks seatpost, ultegra shifter, rear mech, iceini frame shimano wheels…all in all a nice bike for good money. anyway, haven’t hit the trails for a few weeks due to other stuff on but have been on the road bike for about three hours which bored me. Now I feel desperately to get out and do a good mtb trail to rejuvenate my love for mtb.

I don’t want the road bike to put me off riding so should I sell it? I planned to compete on it but I’m afraid it will put me off trail riding on the weekend! Arghh

cynic-al
    Free Member

🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What were you going to compete in? The special olympics?

aftershock
    Free Member

Road bikes are boring. Stick to MTB you know it makes sense

danjthomas
    Free Member

Commute not compete.

tracknicko
    Free Member

you did 3 hours on a road bike and in that time decided firstly to and then not to compete?

taken me 2 years to build up to a level where i think i’d be competent enough to enter some regional races.

think you might need a bit more staying power/dedication/time on the bike before this decision i finalised mate.

or… if you hate it that much. sell it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Pedal faster 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Probably boring cos you rode the wrong place(s)

Get in the lanes and pretend your Phillipe Gilbert.

fasthaggis

My cousin is selling a set of golf clubs .
    I am sure she would take your bike and a bit of cash for them.
    😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Road bikes are boring cos they just are. Been out on mine tonight after doing 2 good rides offroad in the Highlands last weekend & I thought, ‘this is really boring’
    Fast but bori…….zzzzzz.

oldgit
    Free Member

Get in the lanes and pretend your Phillipe Gilbert.

I’m not the only one then 🙂

Bez

Three hours bored you? That’s a friggin’ warm-up.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m not the only one then

plus one 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m not the only one then

Nah, each year that goes by I choose a rider to emulate, this year it’s Gilbert, last it was Moncutie, the year before it was Valvpiti (Valverde who is one of my all time faves) Sammi Sanchez, Basso, Pozza, Cunego, Garzelli (he often turns up in my brain) the list goes on and one.
    Never been sparticus.

All good fun.

anc
    Free Member

Lol 😆

dtf.

hh45
    Free Member

Try riding in a group as road riding is quite good for chatting whilst on the move or even better ride through and off and really build up some speed and er lactic acid burn. Thats how to get fit. That mixed in with mtbing should keep you interested and fit.

jeb

+ 1 hh45

Go on a group ride, or friends, -but important, they must be a tad better than you, you will learn cornering, signs(oh lots of signs for potholes, walkers…) and the art of sucking anothers rearwheel ( real handy when you are burnt out!) -i am myself a pretty diehard mtb, but roadbiking is so diffrent in a good way, that i am always looking forward for the next spin. And tour of flanders is on telly sunday, wactch and learn 😉

Bazz

Find a big hill and go as fast as you need to scare yourself witless.

tonyg2003

There is a massive difference between going for a ride and competing. Try a road race and enjoy the buzz.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’m contemplating buying a road bike for commuting and building my fitness .I cant ever see I will get the enjoyment I do from a couple of hour blast through the trails followed by a few beers with mates.

My point being why would Road riding put you off biking ?.

MrOvershoot

tonyg2003 – Member

There is a massive difference between going for a ride and competing. Try a road race and enjoy the buzz.

Buzz!!!! buzz!!!!
    Either you a Cat1 or a real masochist. Did plenty of road & TT in the 80’s can’t say I remember the buzz, plenty of vomit, pain. cramp, pain, bonk, pain, blood & pain on top. Still loved it though 🙂 add in CX for the full on near death experience.

smell_it
    Free Member

+1 davidtaylforth.

I believe the op may be above us.

My point being why would Road riding put you off biking ?.

Oh yeah, because there is just the slightest possibility they may be a troll, or a ‘tard.

_tom_
    Free Member

Road riding is alright but it’s no substitute for a proper mtb ride. I ride mine pretty much every day as I live in the East Midlands – mainly for fitness (and mine has improved loads since getting the road bike), I doubt I would bother with one if I already had a good level of fitness, or indeed if the local off road was more exciting. I think anything with 2 wheels is fun to ride though, just that roads get a bit boring after about an hour of being on them at a time.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Your not doing it properly 😉 .

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Play ‘I spy with my little eye’ or try humming your favourite tune to yourself repeatedly.

These are both methods employed by professionals to releave the boredom of road biking.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The only bike you should be riding on the road is a bmx, and even then, just when crossing it.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Bought a road bike and am now bored of biking!’ is closed to new replies.