Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bottle cage recommendation for 5010 or bronson for bike carrier Santa Cruz
  • russtav
    Free Member

Hi,

Odd one, I have a 5010 v2 and sometimes need to put it on a roof rack bike carrierto get places (usually use Thule 591model).

The frame has water bottle cage mounts but the position of them means I have to remove the bottle cage before clamping the frame in the bike carrier.
    Current bottle cage is an elite stealth, a fairly standard item.

Does anyone else have this problem, or have a recommendation for different water bottle cage / bike carrier? I’m wondering if a cage without any material between the bolt holes would work better. It’s a PITA having to fit/unfit the cage all the time.

Can’t find any reference / solution using search on here or google.

Frame size is large, for interest.

Thank you.

johnnystorm

One of those Fabric bottles that just slide onto studs might work?

russtav
    Free Member

Thanks. I had looked at those but I’m not convinced by the design.

TimothyD
    Free Member

If you don’t find a different kind of cage, have you thought of one of those ‘ratchet things’ where you fit the allen key bit in and push the switch so you can just keep turning it one way?

If all else fails you might save on time at least…

russtav
    Free Member

Yep that’s my current method thanks. Speeds it up but still not ideal, especially when considering that bikes are often wet when we arrive at places and then I have risk of getting grit pulled into the threads.

Surely someone else with a 5010 or Bronson has this issue too? Or has a good solution.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at this for my 5010…

TOPEAK QR CageMount

Though not because of a car rack, just that sometimes I don’t want to ride with a cage, and sometimes I do.

Anyway, this appears to have been designed for the car rack problem.

astormatt
    Free Member

I have the fabric water bottles on both bikes and can say they work very well. Have read a few reviews about them being awkward to replace back on studs when riding but i can’t say i have struggled.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve only had a Fabric bottle for a month or so but it’s stayed solidly in place on both my full-sus and hardtail when hitting drops and casing doubles, only falling off the first time I used it and hadn’t clicked it into place properly.

Cowman

I use a monkii cage.

Monkii cage

It just slides off when I put the bike on the roof rack. Great setup.

russtav
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll have a look at those fabric bottles and the others suggested. Also just been doing some research, might buy one of these to try – Might be able to fit the rack clamp through the gap. Then no need for QR mounts (a weak point in my mind).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/brand-x-lightweight-carbon-water-bottle-cage/rp-prod138147?gs=1&gclid=CPm64sS_rc8CFWgo0wodpHEF7Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/tacx-tao-ultralight-bottle-cage/rp-prod34008

Probably they won’t work so well as an elite custom. Maybe I should keep a straw in my pocket to slurp from rivers.

pnik

Is it just me but I’m a) amazed a 5010 has bottle bosses and b) camelback?

Sorry coat on

russtav
    Free Member

I didn’t think they were necessary, had a blur LT for 8 years without. But a camelbak is a faff for a 1-2hour blat in the woods. I use it more than I expected.

jonnym92

Not sure if a fabric cageless bottle would fit, I have a 2015 Nomad and it doesnt fit as the bosses are right at the bottom of the triangle and it wouldnt allow the bottle to ‘slide down’ and lock into place. I actually have a brand new warranty replacement here if anyone would like it for a few quid.. (sorry not sorry)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What happens if you clamp the cage?

deadkenny
    Free Member

jonnym92 – Member 
    Not sure if a fabric cageless bottle would fit, I have a 2015 Nomad and it doesnt fit as the bosses are right at the bottom of the triangle and it wouldnt allow the bottle to ‘slide down’ and lock into place.

That was my thought too with the 5010, plus depending on your cable run you may have cables in the way there. A cage would have similar issue but is usually raised a little and the bottle sits higher up the tube.

russtav
    Free Member

I don’t have any issue with the location of my current bottle cage, think I’ll give the fabric bottle a go and if it doesn’t work I can use it on another bike.

Maybe it’s more of an issue wth smaller frames? Mine is a large. Will post back when I’ve tried it.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I have a v1 carbon 5010 and use a Fabric cageless, I’ve never lost the bottle in months of use, it works well.

I put some washers under the frame mounts to lift the bottle away from the downtube by about 2mm, clearance for the hoses was tight without so bare that in mind.

lornholio
    Free Member

Kind of related to this topic, so I’m replying here instead of starting a new one…

I’m looking to put a bottle cage onto my Bronson v1 for the first time. Maybe Fabric cageless bottle, maybe not. Regardless, I’m not sure how a cage will fit in there with the cables. Do I need to run the cables straight from the last downtube mounts to the rear triangle or am I OK with them crossing there like I currently do? I cut my current ones short because I haven’t used a bottle in years but want to go back to it. Getting new brakes soon and due a gear cable change so I can make them longer no problem. So can I have them long and crossing under the bottle cage or will I need to cross them further up the downtube?

Any bottle-cage-on-Santa-Cruz advice or photos would be appreciated.

nstpaul

Dunno about your Bronson V1 but can confirm that fabric cageless bottle won’t fit on 5010 V2 as you cant push the bottle far enough towards seat post tube to locate the bottle on the fixing points

lornholio
    Free Member

Dunno about your Bronson V1 but can confirm that fabric cageless bottle won’t fit on 5010 V2 as you cant push the bottle far enough towards seat post tube to locate the bottle on the fixing points

Looking at the 5010 v2 I can see how the cage mounts would lead to that problem. On my frame there is a good 60mm of space behind the rear mount before the frame starts curving so I don’t think that would be an issue.

The cables are what will be problematic really. Any SC owners care to say how they routed their cables for any brand of bottle cage?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bottle cage recommendation for 5010 or bronson for bike carrier Santa Cruz’ is closed to new replies.