Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • Botched lethal injection…has this been done yet?
  • nickc

“Killing people is wrong. And to make sure you understand, we reserve the right to kill you”

Is essentially the standpoint of some US states.

I can sort of understand the retribution, or even vengeance, but the capricious way that not all murderers or rapists or serial killers are treated to this punishment makes it almost wanton. It is repulsive under those circumstances

mudshark
    Free Member

Of course deterrence works, that’s why there are no crimes in the USA. Oh … hang on a mo …

Or maybe there’d be a lot more.

Anyway, can’t plan to give these people a horrible death but if it happens by accident there are more worthy causes to worry about.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Anyway. I have a solution.

Midazolam followed by the execution suite being purged with nitrogen.
    No, borrow some lions from the zoo, then at half time in football games, feed the perps to the lions.
    win win win
    – reduced food bills for the zoos so they can continue to keep animals cooped up in tiny cages for our entertainment
    – no ongoing incarceration bills for the crims
    – more entertainment at the games = bigger crowds
    – once every so often, a lion might escape and take out some of the dimmer, slower moving footie fans encouraging survival of the fittest and non-survival of the fattest.

vote me not binners for minster of whatever this passes itself off as.

pondo

Didn’t the current lunatic North Korean feller have someone stood on the aiming point of a zero’d mortar and drop one on him? You’d need a strong constitution to stand up to that.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Deterrents don’t work.

There’s serious hypothetical consequences to breaking the law several times a day.

The majority of the country couldn’t give a hoot. And that’s just the “Controlled substances/driving violations/domestic abuse” dalliances. Nobody cares.

slowoldman

nickc – Member
    “Killing people is wrong. And to make sure you understand, we reserve the right to kill you”

That’s how it looks to me too. If we are serious in our belief that to kill someone is wrong, then “state sponsored” killing is wrong too. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

OI. WOPPIT!

Like what you did there with the “semi-independent countries” joke.

ahwiles
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

Anyway, can’t plan to give these people a horrible death but if it happens by accident there are more worthy causes to worry about.

like state-sponsored killing of innocent people?

GrahamS

Didn’t the current lunatic North Korean feller have someone stood on the aiming point of a zero’d mortar..

I’m not sure we should be looking to North Korea for Best Practise guidelines 😀

leffeboy

As I read it, he not only shot the girl but then watched her being buried alive :(. In these circumstances it gets really tough to not want the death penalty but it’s something that has to be resisted

Back to the OP. Why didn’t they call the local vet?

Again I don’t believe the problem was lack of the correct drugs but rather how they were administered as it seems impossible to get medical professionals who will help with the process

Junkyard
    Free Member

like state-sponsored killing of innocent people?

yes but with lions and shit …you know proper fun stuff

I’m not sure we should be looking to North Korea for Best Practise guidelines

Credit where it is due graham no one kills their citizens and effectively as they do so I bet we could all learn a thing or two about it from him 😉

pondo

Interestingly*, just reading about Lockett’s crime – him and two mates robbed a truck, kidnapping the girl who owned it and two of her mates and, because she wouldn’t promise not to call the rozzers, they spent 20 minutes digging a grave, stood her in it then shot her once – gun jammed, so he had to come back to the truck to fix it while she lay in the grave shouting before he could finish the job. They thought she was still alive when they buried her.

I don’t think I believe in state-condoned planned tortuous retribution for heinous crimes, but I must say I don’t feel particularly saddened that this one went wrong.

* It’s all relative, hey?

pondo

I’m not sure we should be looking to North Korea for Best Practise guidelines

As a general rule of thumb I’d agree – but with specific regard to the efficient and effective execution of criminals, they might be worth a look. 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Harold Shipman , Timothy McVeigh

Harold Shipman was a psycopath or heavily traumatised. The point being that his murders were likely related to severe emotional impairment, which is rooted in biology. As for Timothy McVeigh, we will never know.

“He is much more useful to us alive,” says Price, chief of neurology at Harvard-affiliated McLean Hospital in Belmont, Mass. “How does his brain function any differently than the rest of us?”

And does it?

An autopsy — which McVeigh rejected with the acquiescence of the U.S. government — would yield little science, Price says. But a functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of his live brain would be like a 3-D journey into his neurobiology.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2001-05-10-brain-remorse.htm

jon1973
    Free Member

I believe they’ve been forced to change the drug combination because they can no longer get hold of phenobarbital from the Danish supplier.

Is this the world’s sole manufacturer? I doubt it.

No, but the whole of the EU has also banned the export of the drug to the US.

gobuchul
    Free Member

No, but the whole of the EU has also banned the export of the drug to the US.

That seems very selective to me.

Why the high ground on this?

Plenty of EU countries sell various weapons systems and “civil” defence stuff to some very dodgy countries.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Pharmaceutical companies had a lot to do with that as funnily enough, they were unhappy with their drugs being used for lethal injections.

Despite what everyone says, Big Pharma is less evil than the defence industry as they tend to employ medics and life scientists, as opposed to people who like making and designing weaponry.

And they also tend to sell their products to people that don’t like senseless killing (doctors).

ninfan
    Free Member

Didn’t the current lunatic North Korean feller have someone stood on the aiming point of a zero’d mortar and drop one on him? You’d need a strong constitution to stand up to that.

At least they had the courtesy to zero it in first!

Could make top saturday night viewing though – like an indirect fire version of ‘the golden shot’

Left a bit, left a bit, down a bit…. 😈

pondo

Could make top saturday night viewing though – like an indirect fire version of ‘the golden shot’

Left a bit, left a bit, down a bit….
    Now there’s a crossover with BGT/The Voice/X Factor/Big Brother/Eggheads that I’d be happy to watch. 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s how it looks to me too. If we are serious in our belief that to kill someone is wrong, then “state sponsored” killing is wrong too. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

While I agree with the sentiment, this argument does kind of fall down a bit when you consider that an individual cannot take someone against their will, and keep them locked up for 20 years.

But the state/law can.

And nobody sees any issue with that.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That is the lesser of two evils when it comes to protecting society, a person can be released from prison. One cannot be brought back to life when found innocent.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You are right neal when you compare chalk and cheese you often find a difference 😛

nealglover
    Free Member

You are right neal when you compare chalk and cheese you often find a difference

As I found out at lunchtime, won’t make that mistake again :mrgreen:

nealglover
    Free Member

That is the lesser of two evils when it comes to protecting society, a person can be released from prison. One cannot be brought back to life when found innocent.

Thanks for that though.

I hadn’t realised.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well why the f….I give up.

mikeyp

Lethal injection is essentially an IV anaesthetic to render you unconscious, a long acting muscle relaxant to stop you breathing and Potassium to stop the heart. You will essentially die of a heart attack but you will be unconscious at the time. They’ve obviously not given a sufficient dose of the IV anaesthetic.

Regardless of whether you agree with it state execution is becoming more and more difficult. Its a strange situation where the state has to be able to kill someone humanely.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The flip side of that is that an innocent person can not be murdered by an executed felon who has served his sentence and been released .

nealglover
    Free Member

….I give up.

That’s a shame, I was learning so much.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Then place those likely to offend again in there for life.

Problem solved. Same tired old tropes.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Pain is a mechanism to remind us not to do something again.
    So why worry about killing someone painfully they wont be around to remember

mikeyp

Its all about revenge and has nothing to do with punishment or deterrence.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So why worry about killing someone painfully they wont be around to remember

I’m sure you’ll remember this when you are offered opiates on your death bed.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A FB friend and some of his (male) friends have expressed glee at the idea of Max Clifford being sexually tortured in jail when he arrives…

I’ve asked how this guy’s experience would sit with them but haven’t seen anybody willing to grasp the nettle yet.

mikeyp

One US state considered using propofol, the commonest IV anaesthetic agent and favourite of MJ. It was only when the EU suppliers said that if they did that they’d stop supplying all US hospitals with it they stopped.

Its a crazy situation, never mind the ethical issues of Drs being involved with executions

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Then place those likely to offend again in there for life.

Problem solved. Same tired old tropes.

Well that was simple , why didn’t anybody else think of that ? Of course it relies on criminal psychologists etc having a 100% success rate which until now has been lacking but don’t let that stand in your way.

Northwind

Ramsey Neil – Member

The flip side of that is that an innocent person can not be murdered by an executed felon who has served his sentence and been released .

Course, you don’t have to execute people to achieve that. And also, if you execute the wrong person, then the actual criminal is probably still out there.

I suppose a major consideration is where you think the acceptable level is for a state to kill innocent people by mistake. Lots of people say zero, others think there’s a tolerance level. Once you get into trying to offset innocent executions against potential deterrance of crime and doing some cold equation where one justifies the other, that’s incredibly shaky ground. You can do some fun reductio ad absurdum there.

I’m not sure where I really stand on the morals of execution; but that’s OK because I know exactly where I stand on executing the wrong dude, and that takes care of the whole question.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You are of course completely correct . If only the justice system was 100% reliable possibly things would become easier . That’s a serious comment BTW not sarcasm .

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No it wouldn’t, then you have to make a public health based analysis.

Some of these have concluded that the death penalty increases murder rates due to the resultant loss in respect for life that the death penalty causes. Killing is seen as a socially acceptable from of revenge whether carried out by individuals or the judiciary. From a utilitarian point of view, the death penalty would therefore make no sense.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Even assuming that a swift, basically painless execution is OK, a 43-minute, drawn-out horror show because of a cock-up is pretty hard to stomach.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Its a crazy situation, never mind the ethical issues of Drs being involved with executions

I don’t think they are doctors.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Botched lethal injection…has this been done yet?’ is closed to new replies.