Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bontrager XR4, 2.2 or 2.35 for the rear?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps

I’m buying an XR4 for the rear of my Enduro, I normally run Maxxis 2.3 Tyres.. The proper 2.3s.

From what I can gather the bontys come up pretty big. Would you run a 2.2 rather than a 2.35 for the clearance? And… How do they size up compared to the newer, pproper sized Maxxis?

Cheers

Ricks

mboy
    Free Member

They do come up big. 2.2″ is probably like a 2.3″ Maxxis, 2.35″ more like a 2.35″ Hans Dampf.

Question though… Why? They’re VERY mediocre at best compared to Maxxis’ offerings, and have almost comedy thin sidewalls!

thered

MBoy is correct, run a DHR or HRII instead.

rickon
    Free Member

Ah, I’m actually going to be running the se4. Different compound and sidewalls. Given no one runs them on STW, I didn’t want to confuse folk and stick with the more well known version.

I’ve been running an se5 and been blown away by the rubber and the sidewalls. Incredible little tyre it is. Prefer it to the butcher, minion and dhr2 up front.

sparkyrhino

Have a 2.35 on the rear of my h/t its massive and its on a 19mm rim,its an old wire bead jobbie and went up tubeless no probs.As said above the tubless ready ones the sidewalls are wafer thin,

robowns
    Free Member

I’ve got an XR3 and an XR4, XR3 does have fairly thin sidewalls, XR4 doesn’t though.

rickon
    Free Member

As above, not worried about the sidewalls as I’ll be running the Super Enduro version the SE4.

Sounds like a 2.2 is the best option if its more like a Maxxis 2.3. Given it became winter today, I don’t want to grind away my seatstays.

matt_outandabout

My XR4’s are fabulous, a good bit grippiier than an Ardent, but roll well and great supple feel. I agree about thin feeling – but have far proved tougher than Schwalbe and Conti.
    They do come up very large, I fit 2.35’s on a steel HT but like the cushioning as I am a big chap…

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The cheap wire bead Comps are not flimsy, 60tpi carcass IIRC! (120’s are thin) roll well, reasonable weight (not XC racer light) and grip far better than I expected in wet mud, all in all a decent rear tyre, I wouldn’t use one on the front though! Done plenty of clumsy riding in rocks Cavedale, Pindale and Lee Quarry with enough wheels in the air action, no flats can’t ask for more.

Apparently the older tyres from a couple of seasons back were massive! the newer ones less so.

whitestone
    Free Member

I run XR4 on the front and XR3 on the rear, both are “team issue”. The XR4 does come up pretty big, not sure I’d want to run it on the rear. Done nearly 4500Km on the XR4 with no problems. On the second XR3, the first did about 3000Km. Not noticed any “flimsyness” with either tyre, had no flats despite some worrying sounding pings going through rock gardens.

Originally had an Ardent on the rear but it never felt right.

SirHC

Specialized Ground Control Grid is worth a look for a rear tyre. Made by the same people who make Maxxis, they come in a 60a compound with decent sidewall strength. Purgatory up front, also in Grid compound, but the tread is 60a top, 50a sides.

rickon
    Free Member

Well, got a Bontrager SE4 in 2.2. It’s pretty small really. Not as big as a 2.3 DHR2. I’ll give it a shot over the weekend, but may send it back for a 2.35.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got XR2’S on my XC HT in 2.2″ and they’re fine, not notices weak side walls even when floating ever so gracefully* over trail obstacles

*this may be a total lie (the graceful bit)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager XR4, 2.2 or 2.35 for the rear?’ is closed to new replies.