Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bontrager XDX vs XR2 & General Tyre Advice
  • Ax3M4n
    Free Member

I bought a new 2010 Fuel Ex8 back in June, and it's only just come to my attention that non-spec tyres were fitted by the LBS:- I got Bonty XR2s and not the prescribed XDXs.

It's not the end of the world but after spending that much on a bike I don't like to think that I got short changed and I would rather have the better tyre.

So… is it worth me going back to the shop and asking if I can have my actually purchased XDXs… will I get any technical benefit? I will feel a bit of a plum if the LBS tell me the XR2 was actually a "Free Upgrade".

Does anyone have any real experience with either of these tyres?

I ride mainly around the Chilterns near Henley/Reading… there's lots of "loose earth" Forest strewn with lots of flint pebble. With the XR2, grip on steepish climbs, especially where there is lots of flint, hasn't been that great wet or dry.

If it just comes down to buying another tyre (not an XDX) – what do you recommend?

rickon
    Free Member

XDX = fast rolling and proper slippy, although i believe it is tubeless ready – so slightly thicker sidewalls – which IMO doesn't make any difference.

I'd just buy a better tyre setup, loads of info on the forums if you search about – I and a lot of other people use:

Front: Advantage
    Rear: Crossmark

But there's a load of riders that love the Schwalbe setups, Nobbynics:Front and Racing Ralphs:Rear.

Chevin
    Free Member

We've had Treks come with both. Most the later ones seemd to be XR2

I currently run XDX – love them, done wet and muddy Merida's and fast blast dry Dalby type runs. Never had a problem. I run mine tubeless, they do seem to roll and grip miles better than with a tube.

However now worn out and supplies are getting low. I have just got a set of 29-2 (the 29er version of the XR2) to go on, supposed to be designed for similar surfaces/riding. I shall soon find out! (A lot lighter than the XDX is my 1st impression)

Talking to Trek it appears the XR2 is going to replace the XDX

Also a lot of the tyres specced on Treks OE are not tubeless ready! (We've made that mistake once or twice trying to set them up tubless and wonder why they don't go!)

Matthew

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I've finally binned the XDX tyres I've been running for about 6 months. A genuinely awful tyre. Flimsy, easy to tear, but worst of all is the fact that they don't grip anything. At all. Not even tarmac (I've had them wheelspin on moist tarmac, which has never happened to me before).

God, I'd just got over them and now you've worked me up again…

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

[/quote]God, I'd just got over them and now you've worked me up again…

Whoops… sorry about that. That's about as good an answer as I could have hoped for 🙂

…. maybe I will stick with the XR2's.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager XDX vs XR2 & General Tyre Advice’ is closed to new replies.