Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bontrager TwentyFour12
  • Taff
    Free Member

Anyone doing it this year? I’m thinking about putting in my entry and was sold on the 12hour Torchbearer one as I thought it would be nice to finish off in daylight but it seems from previous years that this one isn’t as popular as the midday start. There is prize money involved in that one so I presume that’s a driver as well as an after party. Don’t know which to do.

pete68
    Free Member

Hi Taff, i’m doing the “normal” 12 hour solo.Wouldn’t fancy the torchbearer, too much hanging around waiting to start.Be good though if you’re pushed to get there on time though.Its nice to finish at midnight,eat sleep,get up and watch the 24hr and torchbearers still slogging round.If you’ve not been before its a great event with a really good course.Well worth going to.

njee20
    Free Member

I did the Torchbearer in 2009, was alright, I didn’t get there until about 9pm. Much smaller field, was a bit depressing that it got light and what not by 5, and then there was still 7 hours to go. Nice to have the daylight when you’re at your most tired though.

I only did it because I wanted a shot at a better result, otherwise I’d do the daylight one.

The course empties at midnight as a significant proportion do the first 12 hours, 24 or Torchbearer is a bit depressing for that!

Taff
    Free Member

It does seem more sensible to do the midday start as you have 2.5 hours of darkness to contend with against 5.5hours with the torchbearer. Would end up staying with yocal the night before so can be fresh. May well camp the finishing night for ease

Janesy
    Free Member

Ill be doing the 12 hour.

Taff
    Free Member

Only about 10 spaces left, didn’t think it could wait until after my holiday/next pay cheque. Bit nervous about this one now!

beej

I co-won the mixed pair in the Torchbearer in 2010.

We were the only entrants.

Still got a medal and a hipflask though.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m doing 12 hour (day) pairs. Not sure how that happened!

Taff
    Free Member

I was tempted by the torchbearer initially but got put off it. Njee – say hello if you see me!

njee20
    Free Member

Indeed I will, and you. Hopefully be a little fitter by then too. Having flashbacks to that Tarmac climb and the Kenda climb.

br
    Free Member

What is/was the course like, ie round-a-field or off-road singletrack?

Taff
    Free Member

Used to go out towards Dartmoor didn’t it? Pretty sure I saw riders going through Cann & Plymbridge before. Not done it before so not too sure.

Yes, I’m hoping to be much fitter as well!!

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not a Mayhem/SiTS type course, but not a hugely technical affair either, excellent balance.

Course varies, went up onto the moors last year for the first time. Reasonably hilly without being mental.

Taff
    Free Member

Ridden Newnham countless times and it’s riddled with singletrack. Few hills to sort the gaps out. Worst bit for me is the river crossing. Really hoping its not part of the course, was bad enough in an xc race let alone 12hours worth!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager TwentyFour12’ is closed to new replies.