Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Bono Billionaire!
  • Nick

Which is worse, Bono’s hypocracy or the endless miserable whining about it?

dasnut
    Free Member

With that much money, you condone tax avoidance?
    Its not like joe bloggs saving a few quid, this is millions to add to millions, and just proves what a selfish self righteous prick he (and presumably you) is (are).

Junkyard
    Free Member

so you dislike our hypocrisy – the one you cannot prove but you have no issues with Bonos….interesting …i suspect you have misplaced your moral compass.

FFS even Boris does not do it and I would hardly champion him as a paragon of virtue. To decide we would all do this is some leap

As for celeb bashing we are bashing someone’s [hypocritical] views who this time happens to be famous.

Has he achieved some good- suppose he must have but he could have done more by simply not maximising his own personal fortune and paid more tax whilst lecturing others [ govts] on their social responsibility whilst making sure his own personal welfare came before his social responsibility
    Like i said he is a ****

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where have I said I have no issues with Bono? I don’t know much about him, I just think it’s hypocritical, pompous and lazy to flame tax avoiders – a form of inverted snobbery/jealousy.

Boris doesn’t tax-avoid? Proof please? By what was said in the last sandpit fight debate, if he’s not paying 50% on everything he earns, it’s tax avoidance.

EDIT – anyone know how much he donates to chardiee? He may avoid tax to enhance that. He may not!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I utterly fail to see why suggesting a that someone who avoids tax and preaches to governments is a hypocrite has got anything whatsoever to do with jealousy inverted or otherwise. I could avoid tax if I wished * and wished to not practice what I preached. what have I got to be jealous about? Are you saying you think it is admirable for multi millionaires to avoid tax then tell governments what they should do and what their social responsibility to others less fortunate then them selves is? Are you really saying jealousy/hypocrisy and snobbery are the only reason anyone could criticise this?

he may donate to charity to avoid tax did you think of that? 😉

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/05/boris-johnson-publishes-tax-records-mayoral-election_n_1405104.html

he took al his income as income and did not use a company for freelance which I presume he could have chosen to do to legally avoid tax.

* I had the opportunity to be self employed if i wished and use a company but i did not because it is wrong

grum
    Free Member

I don’t know much about him, I just think it’s hypocritical, pompous and lazy to flame tax avoiders – a form of inverted snobbery/jealousy.

So when Warren Buffett says the rich should pay more tax, is it still inverted snobbery/jealousy?

The multi-billionaire pointed out that he’s avoided tax for decades. Meanwhile he’s accumulated massive wealth that he kept out of reach of the IRS. Buffett insists that as a matter of fairness he should be made to pay more taxes too.

Buffett feels the only way to achieve this is through a one-time wealth tax on the assets of billionaires, even those assets currently sheltered in charitable trusts and offshore vehicles. Compounding tax-sheltered wealth for decades allowed him to amass around $44 billion, and Buffett notes that the 90% wealth tax will still leave him with more than $4 billion. On an ongoing basis, a tax on increases in wealth, including unrealized capital gains, would solve the problem of tax avoiders like him benefiting at the expense of the country as a whole.

Edukator
    Free Member

I hereby apologise and express my eternal regret for purchasing a U2 album way back when. In my defence I have never watched the Discovery channel, bought a Trek or sent any mail by US Postal; I never voted for Bliar; I’ve never bought anything Apple or even a single app; I only have one friend on Facebook.

donsimon
    Free Member

I only have one friend on Facebook.

Liar! 👿

Edukator
    Free Member

If you think I have more than one please link the person you think is me because it’s not me.

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’s right !

I have four Facebook friends ! I’d forgotten my real name account.

Edit: 4 + 1 = 5 Facebook friends in total.

cynic-al
    Free Member

grum – quite a different point in my view.

Are you saying you think it is admirable for multi millionaires to avoid tax then tell governments what they should do and what their social responsibility to others less fortunate then them selves is?

Where have I said that?

Are you really saying jealousy/hypocrisy and snobbery are the only reason anyone could criticise this?

See above. No, but I bet it’s not absent in people’s motivations, whether they admit it or not. MOst of this thread appears to be motivated by people believing Bono to be a knob…which I am not arguing with 😛

I guess it’s a good thing to choose not to avoid tax for moral reasons – how much did you lose? You could have avoided the tax though and then given the money to a charity?

redthunder
    Free Member

MASS FLOUNCE OF FACEBOOK….I reckon.

But we wont 🙁

zimbo
    Free Member

Are you really saying jealousy/hypocrisy and snobbery are the only reason anyone could criticise this?

See above. No, but I bet it’s not absent in people’s motivations, whether they admit it or not

Why do some people think that having an objection to vast wealth is only ever the result of jealousy? I object to tax avoiders/evaders and the mega rich, but I don’t want their money. I earn a decent living. I have enough. It’s only materialist breadheads who think the rest of us want to be stinking rich too.

donsimon
    Free Member

Edit: 4 + 1 = 5 Facebook friends in total.

You’re losing credibility with each untruth that you publish, I quite simply can’t believe anything that you say from henceforth. 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s only materialist breadheads who think the rest of us want to be stinking rich too.

Again, something I’ve not said or implied.

zimbo
    Free Member

Again, something I’ve not said or implied

Yeah, sorry, I didn’t mean particularly you, I lazily chose the nearest quote that insinuated that. But it is a common opinion amongst a lot of the posters above, and further afield.

EDIT

No, but I bet it’s not absent in people’s motivations

but you should have said SOME peoples’ motivations…

Junkyard
    Free Member

should be interesting working out what you think by guessing and you denying 😀
    Tax avoidance is ok

I don’t see anything wrong with tax avoidance

Bono is a knob

So his preaching whilst avoiding your view on this?
    You think we are jealous???

toys19
    Free Member

Bono is a knob

Is it ok to insult someone who isn’t ( as far as we know) a member on here then? O font of pious wisdom?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve not been pro-Bono (SWIDT?) once on this thread, just anti the lazy motivations folk appear to have for disliking him.

What’s so difficult to understand? Just becuase I question people’s motivations I disagree with everything they say?

Did you just make an ass of u and me?

EDIT Jeez toys give it a rest, go and crack one off or something.

DezB
    Free Member

You think we are jealous?

Yep, I do.

How else could you come to the conclusion that he’s a knob. You certainly don’t know him.

Or are you like the people that watch Eastenders and think they know Dot Cotton?

trailmonkey

Did you just make an ass of u and me?

did you just cut and paste that from the bullshit bingo thread ?

toys19
    Free Member

EDIT Jeez toys give it a rest, go and crack one off or something.

what do you mean, I only posted twice about insults on the other thread. Is your self appointed big hitter status going to your head?

cynic-al
    Free Member

trailmonkey, I assumed (SWIDT) the intended irony would get through.

toys, no, you just seem a little uptight tonight.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am stating al’s view as expressed here

Bono to be a knob…which I am not arguing with

you may insult whom you wish or actually make a comment on the appropriate thread you little charmer you.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-high-level-ebay-fraud#post-3811524
    for those who care

Dez you mean know as in personally and you know the answer,.
    however it is not reasonable to say we dont know [ have knoweldge of] what he does , stands for and believes in from his many statements and actions.it is reasonable to have a view on them

After all I dont know my MP as a personal friend but I can reasonably form an opinion of what they stand for based on available information.

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t think so, it is a bit hypocritical to call me out for insulting people and then call Bono a knob, I’m just seeking clarification thats all.

edit – Ah JY I understand now, I retract my hypocritcal comment at you and that explains why Al jumped down my throat!

PS thanks for the permission x. You did attract me here though..

cynic-al
    Free Member

EDIT everybody happy then?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you should have read back i was quite rude too 😀

toys19
    Free Member

Yes I see it now, so back to my original question?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think I explained why i hold him in such low regard in my original post.
    I think you insulted someone who made a reasonable [ if inappropriate /unneeded] point without insults.
    Now if Bono turns up and calls me names and I complain you will have me there.
    You may have a point in the broadest sense but I attacked Bono for what he does not because he said something i dont like. They may be in the same ball park.
    I shall leave it to the hive mind to decide.

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t really care JY, as you know I love an insult, I’m only ribbing you, you say what you like.

Kevevs
    Free Member

is this turning into another boring bitchy thread?

toys19
    Free Member

no. There is no animosity, please carry on.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bob Geldof’s a bit touchy when asked too.

What is it about these pious Irishmen? 😀

toys19
    Free Member

FOS as we all know.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t really care JY, as you know I love an insult, I’m only ribbing you, you say what you like.

i just thought that for once you [ nearly ] made a good point 😉

is this turning into another boring bitchy thread?

NO

What is it about these pious Irishmen?

heated wing mirrors dont pay for themselves

jamesco

Ey up lads its not just STW ,anybody see those spoof Starstories ,the one where Bono thinks he’s God an’ both he and Geldof keep putting Midge Ure down, …hilarious ?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’m convinced that Bono is infact the Bond villain Elliott Carver from “Tomorrow Never Dies”… Creating world disasters so he can get a jump on the rest of the charity celebrity types… He even wears villain type glasses!

Kevevs
    Free Member

No that’s Rupert Murdoch. At least he doesn’t pretend to be all caring and nice and thoughtful though. If you’ve got a billion pounds, and you make yourself out to be a serious humanitarian do gooder, then what are you going to do with it? what the hell are you going to do with it?! Spread the wealth Bono to all those poor people that you care about. Or forever be a ****.

nealglover
    Free Member

Bwaarp, I seriously hope you have nothing to do with organising any sort of charity.

You seriously think that the best use of someone who is as famous and as wealthy as bono, would be delivering medical supplies in a war zone (or anything remotely similar)

Rather than being a financial supporter, and using his profile for raising awareness and money for the charity ?

I know you are having one of those “shouty, ranty, angry stand up comedian” things, but at least make sure you think about what you are saying first to make sure it makes sense.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Bono Billionaire!’ is closed to new replies.