Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Body recomposition – who has managed it?
  • brexitrefugee
    Free Member

I’ve realised it’s time to get a grip and really try to change my physique – I am the perfect exemplar of skinny fat. reading around it seems skinny fat is a very bad place to be, but I am also massively confused as to how to tackle it as there is so much conflicting information.

I know I need to do weight training and HIIT. But do I boost my calories or cut them?

How much cardio is too much?

And can weight training help with flexibility/mobility? I am as stiff as a board as a 43-year-old desk jockey and part time cyclist.

Please help me cut through the reams of BS on the web.

brexitrefugee
    Free Member

Bump.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Bodybuilding forum is the place to start. It’s all easy enough, just takes a few years.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Seth Brundle?

Cougar

Do stuff.

Ride your bike! Run, walk, climb.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’d personally always recommend something like Circuit Training for overall strength, conditioning and flexibility. Weight training is just so boring.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Chief Petty Officer Miles O’Brien?

scotroutes

Always difficult.

Especially if the patio wasn’t laid well.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Weight training is great fun. Deadlifts squats Bench press military press rows, combination of those three times a week, some stretching / yoga, bike riding and you are sorted. Plus a decent diet …!

northerntom
    Free Member

Basically, you need to build your core strength, using the 5×5 app helps a lot. I’ve been using it recently and has helped build some of my weaknesses back up. Takes time, but worth investing.

That should take up 3 gym sessions a week. It doesn’t take long, so I would add some extra exercises after it. Rather than targeting specifics, which is all but pointless unless you train and diet all the time, do some hi intensity circuits. I’ve just started one: 5 sets of 30 seconds of each exercise: Burpees, Pull ups, mountain climbers, kettle bell swings, plank. Then 30 second sprints with 30 sec breaks.

In terms of diet, cut out crap. Weetabix/porridge with fruit in the morning, with milk/natural yoghurt. A form of protein and salad for other meals. Healthy and balanced, with little to no sugar is the key.

BigDummy
    Free Member

do I boost my calories or cut them?

I don’t know how drastic you need to do. I’ve dropped from about 19% body fat to about 14.5% this past year. My trainer initially stuck me onto (basically) a “whole 30” diet without any calorie restrictions particularly, while ramping up the weight training (I was already doing several rides a week and am generally fairly active but hadn’t done any strength training in 20 years). I’ve dropped about 6kgs and quite a bit of fat. She’s now increasing my calorie intake a bit to gain some weight with a pretty significant increase in what I’m lifting – hopefully what I’m putting back on under this regimen is mostly muscle rather than padding.

The advantage of the “whole 30” type paleo-ish stuff is it is at least reasonably clear what you should and should not be eating. I don’t understand or necessarily believe a load of it, but it does insist you think about what is going in, and completely cut out (for example) milk in coffee etc. The advice that if you’re hungry, you should eat a grilled fish and some steamed vegetables, and if that doesn’t appeal then you aren’t really hungry and should have a glass of water also resonated rather.

In my experience, weight training doesn’t help with flexibility/mobility especially, but if you do it and don’t stretch loads you’ll end up completely immobile, so you stretch loads. Pilates-type stuff really helps with all that – plus just loads of time spent aiming to touch your toes. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Victor Frankenstein?

dmorts

I know I need to do weight training and HIIT. But do I boost my calories or cut them?

One answer to this is to look at the stuff Joe Wicks does…..he’s not to everyone’s taste though

I do Insanity but not at home with the DVDs, I go to a class. Find this better as the instructor can correct you if you’re doing exercises wrong.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Exercise more, eat less shit.

How difficult is that?

Running will loose fat better than biking.

slowoldman

The fittest/strongest I ever was came as a result of training for rock climbing. This was initially anathema for someone who started climbing with hawser laid rope and trained on best bitter.

Anyway, I succumbed to the new fashion and training became regular weight training sessions, running, bouldering and climbing. As for diet, I didn’t change it at all, ate when hungry and still demolished several pints on a night out. No six pack but I did develop a useful muscle or two.

molgrips
    Free Member

How much sugar or high GI carbs do you eat?

willard

Meh, just do Crossfit four times a week and eat more protein/fewer things with processed carbs in.

It worked for me.

plyphon
    Free Member

Exercise more, eat less shit.

How difficult is that?

Running will loose fat better than biking.

Yup – tho the best exercise is the one you enjoy most.

But literally, find out your TDEE, download MyFitness Pal and calorie count everything to lose weight.

You don’t actually need to do any exercise if you have the willpower to constantly eat under your TDEE. But obviously thats not very fun, and won’t do anything for your fitness, just your waistline.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Can someone enlighten me to wtf ‘skinny fat’ is?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cut out as much refined sugar and alcohol from your diet as possible. Diet and what you eat determines your weight. Exercise determines fitness..
    Maybe get a road bike, start to plank, join a park run / circuit training etc..

What’s skinny fat? Pot bellied and currently lazy?

seosamh77
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member
    Can someone enlighten me to wtf ‘skinny fat’ is?

a couch potato, that doesn’t eat very much.

Shred
    Free Member

It means people with a low BMI (Skinny) but high amount of internal fat around the organs, which is very bad for you.

plyphon
    Free Member

I mean Google is literally two clicks away guys 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

More excersize – both aerobic (inc biking) and some weights or even press ups / sits ups etc
    Weights won’t really help flexibility, do that via stretching as part of above sit ups/press ups or say yoga
    I would start fairly steadily and build up, little and often

Some focus on your diet will be generally helpful too

johnx2
    Free Member

Body recomposition? I’m finding it pretty easy, albeit in the opposite direction to most of the people above.

Actually I agree with a lot of what’s been posted. A fair few middleaged blokes who ride loads, though not that fast uphill; have big legs, small arms and a gut, and would benefit from doing a few pressups/pullups/ab stuff.

prawny

Johnx2 beat me to it, I used to be top heavy, pretty barrel chested with big arms. Now I’m about the same weight, same waist size but I’ve got a lollipop head and love handles.

I think a time machine would be best for me.

epicyclo

SInglespeed bike and a kayak and just go out and have fun.

Maybe a bit of swimming.

Do it consistently.

No need for boring gyms or punishment sessions.

dmorts

Actually I agree with a lot of what’s been posted. A fair few middleaged blokes who ride loads, though not that fast uphill; have big legs, small arms and a gut, and would benefit from doing a few pressups/pullups/ab stuff.

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is what the guys you refer to need to burn fat.

One of the key ‘selling points’ of HIIT is that it burns fat far more effectively than continuous exercise like running, cycling etc. “Doing a few pressups/pullups/ab stuff” will just result in larger muscles under their fat layers.

johnx2
    Free Member

will just result in larger muscles under their fat layers.

…which metabolise burning food (and beer) faster, improve posture and generally boost morale (not an argument against HIIT fwiw.)

Kamakazie

I’d always suggest picking another sport you enjoy that works different muscle groups etc and that you enjoy.

I’ve found climbing and bouldering an excellent pairing to cycling.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Isn’t cycling supposed to be very good at making your body prioritise burning fat more?

2016 has been my worst year for cycle commuting in ~10 years, partly due to health, but in the last few weeks I’ve been back on the bike every workday except last Tuesday (when it simply was not practical, went on a short break straight after work). I’ve cut out a few sugary desserts, gone from three to two weetabix and tried to cut back on the amount of peanut butter and jam sarnies I often binge on in the evenings.
    Just a few changes and I’ve dropped ~3Kg to ~83Kg, would be great to get back to 70-something Kg again like in 2013, in a galaxy far far away (~1995) I used to spar in the 70-76Kg TKD weight category.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know I need to do weight training and HIIT.

Please help me cut through the reams of BS on the web.

Do you want to get faster on your bike, become a body builder, or just become one of those ‘fitnessing’ people who go to the gym/crossfit but never actually do anything with their fitness?

Do stuff.

Ride your bike! Run, walk, climb.

I’d also add, have fun. If squats are fun then go ahead, if running on the spot and jumping on boxes whilst an instructor shouts at you is fun then go to a circuits class.

Alternatively go ride a bike, hike up some hills, play football, badminton, squash, go surfing, swim, do yoga. Whatever it is that’s fun and you’ll stick to.

Alternative II, sit back, drink beer, and stop worrying about being ‘skinny fat’, you’ll probably reduce your risk of a heart attack.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Skinny fat. Some kind of coffee isn’t it? 😀

But yeah, seems familiar. So fairly fit and skinny in many places, weight under control, but… that belly ? 😉

Certainly where I am.

BMI would say fine, but go with the BHF view on body fat, i.e. waist size, and yes not a good place. They effectively say I’m just about obese and yet I’m 5’7″ and just under 11st.

In my case I ride loads but while it provides tonnes of leg fitness and keeps weight down, it doesn’t shift the belly one inch.

However I know there’s one key reason for that. The beer 😀

BillOddie

Lift (big compound movements: Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press, OH Press, etc. get coaching)
    Drink less booze
    Cut out sugary drinks
    Drink more water
    Sleep More (8 hours a night)
    Eat less crap/carbs.
    Eat more protein and healthy fats.
    Eat more full stop…
    Do some horrid evil cardio eg HIIT or 2000m rows for time…

vickypea
    Free Member

Mountain biking can serve as high-intensity training, provided you do some regular technical climbs at full on intensity, rather than going to a class.

renton
    Free Member

Is the Shaun T t25 stuff any good for all over workout and weight loss?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Body recomposition – who has managed it?’ is closed to new replies.