Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • BMX – curious
  • kerley
    Free Member

pretty certain that in all the years since my teens, all skills I may have once had are now evaporated.

combined with not being as good as you thought you were.

I must move away from this thread at the threat of killing more middle aged mens dream of riding a kids bike.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Oh and that mongoose in Halfords is awful. Had a look today.

sirromj

I’ve been thinking about getting BMX but then thought or I could spend the money on a skillz course.

In teens I could do bunny hops which I knew as American (which seems to be the proper way of doing it according to skillz vidz) and English (flat take-off & flat landing). 180 bh, I think, could I? A cheats frame stand (not sure what it’s really called) – front foot on stem shins leaning against bar of handlebars, rear foot on top tube shin leaning against saddle. Rollbacks to some degree. The old favourite of sitting on handlebars facing backwards and cycling. And of course, flicking stones at things with rear wheel.

Skillz course or BMX are indefinitely postponed for this early 40 something.

steve_b77
    Free Member

monkeychild – Member 

Oh and that mongoose in Halfords is awful. Had a look today.

Can you tell me why?

monkeychild
    Free Member

If it was a 2nd hand bargain buy I’d say go for it. I certainly wouldn’t drop £235 on it. It’s loads of cheap junk components strapped to a cro mo frame. It even looks like it’s from a catalogue. But it’s your choice.

Seriously look on Gumtree, eBay etc for a used fit, wtp, Sunday cro mo complete. There be bargains out there.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

YOU ARE ALL TOO OLD TO TAKE UP BMXING!

Thank god I’m taking up skateboarding at 40 instead

Euro
    Free Member

True- lower to the ground, less stabby bits, not clipped in, more clearance and usually less obstacles to hit.

Don’t go street riding and don’t fit grind pegs. I’ll retract my earlier statement about you all being too old (you are, but still…) Get a bmx and use it to learn how to crash and bail. That’s a useful skill to take to the trails on the grown manchild’s bike.

Kerley gets it. And the reason he gets it is that he knows how much ‘work’* you need to put into bmxing to get anything from it. It’s a bit like shark wrestling in that you can’t do it half-hearted. You’ll get bitten and submitted in no time, then swim off into the sunset with a couple of limbs missing wondering what just happened. When i was younger i’d have kicked the crap outta the toothy mammal, administering a couple of gil stabs in the process. Now? I wouldn’t even consider apply the lard.

* It’s the most fun but sore work you’ll ever do.

I’ll leave these here and you can put them where you think they should go… 😆 😯 😀 🙄 😉 8)

Boba Fatt – Member
    Thank god I’m taking up skateboarding at 40 instead

Taking up as in never did it as a kid? Good luck 😛

twistedpencil

Skateboarding is a different kettle of fish, I used to ride ramps in my teens, I now struggle to stay upright on the flat on them. Remember to video it and enjoy!

BMX does take a lot of practice to master, I’ll never be a jumping, tricks type rider as I race, very badly I’ll add. Start of the season is best for me as a lot of my competitors seem to have a winter break, where my 7year old drags me out all the time so I’m not rusty. When the other guys get their groove on, I’m spat out the back, I have about a month of picking up some decentish results left…

Anyway today I’m trying DH for the first time… a&e updates to follow.

kayla1
    Free Member

BMX is hard and unforgiving, yes, but it’s also really good fun and a jolly good workout. Just standing up and pedalling the evil little f-cker uphill is a better workout than you’ll get sitting and spinning up the same hill on a geared bike, most of the muscles being worked are the ones you’ll be using to laugh at yourself while you do it 😆 With those tiny wheels, the trails don’t come alive so much as they’re re-animated-

Little 80s reference there for all you BMX kids 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘BMX – curious’ is closed to new replies.